House Price Crash Forum
LuckyOne

By George, He Is At It Again ...

Depending on the level of contamination, brownfield land can be expensive to develop, but in theory permission shouldn't be a problem.

Whether any housing actually gets built is another matter. Only while the house builders can get the prices they're used to, would be my guess.

Depending on the level of contamination, brownfield land can be expensive to develop, but in theory permission shouldn't be a problem.

Whether any housing actually gets built is another matter. Only while the house builders can get the prices they're used to, would be my guess.

Well the sensible thing to do might be to get the land decontaminated and sell it to self-builders.

If they are serious about solving the housing shortage then they need get people building houses themselves instead of relying on the big house builders. It'll allow new real businesses to open that manufacture and build european style timber houses.

I doubt it'll happen somehow.

Only while the house builders can get the prices they're used to, would be my guess.

This is it. So long as the problem is described as "not enough houses", and NOT described as "house prices too high", then you get an answer to the wrong question - you get more houses at the SAME market prices. So many VIs rely on current very very high prices (never mind HPI) - more-houses-at-the-same-price-throw-in-HTB is the answer to a question FTBs are not asking. Never even mind those that can't buy - many like me CAN buy, but WON'T buy because the market's been utterly corrupted by cheap credit and government props - it's broken.

This is it. So long as the problem is described as "not enough houses", and NOT described as "house prices too high", then you get an answer to the wrong question - you get more houses at the SAME market prices. So many VIs rely on current very very high prices (never mind HPI) - more-houses-at-the-same-price-throw-in-HTB is the answer to a question FTBs are not asking. Never even mind those that can't buy - many like me CAN buy, but WON'T buy because the market's been utterly corrupted by cheap credit and government props - it's broken.

Great post!

Same as me. I'm not PatientlyWaiting to be able to afford a house, I am PatientlyWaiting for anything like value for money. Increasingly likely I will just take my money elsewhere probably Ireland once the current batch of repos has returned their prices back down to something sensible for their economic conditions and supply levels.

A firesale of UK assets allows Osborne to keep pretending that the UK's fiscal position is improving when in fact the exact opposite is true.

Well the sensible thing to do might be to get the land decontaminated and sell it to self-builders.

If they are serious about solving the housing shortage then they need get people building houses themselves instead of relying on the big house builders. It'll allow new real businesses to open that manufacture and build european style timber houses.

I doubt it'll happen somehow.

If they are serious about building houses then they should actually build some houses.

Good post.

It appears to me that the brownfield sell-off won't result in cheaper houses. It will just mean more volume housebuilder homes at the same prices as before, except they will be on inferior land that the NIMBYs are less likely to object about.

If they are serious about building houses then they should actually build some houses.

This is a Tory government. The Tories have an ideological objection to the state, in any form, providing housing for people.

Labour aren't going to be in a position to do anything for the foreseeable future. Ditto the Lib Dems.

This is a Tory government. The Tories have an ideological objection to the state, in any form, providing housing for people.

Labour aren't going to be in a position to do anything for the foreseeable future. Ditto the Lib Dems.

They should set up a quango (Or whatever they're called these days) and instruct them to build away.

It's madness to not build homes as it would boost the economy majorly.

And if done right might employ a few british people.