House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Telly Review

Enjoyed the doc on Melvyn Bragg last night. Seemed like documentaries were in the old days. Didn't know he considered himself a northern outsider, always thought he was a typical bumptious arty type. Never watched The south bank show much, but it was sort of a cultural icon of my youth.

Had no idea he had written all those books

Have downloaded a couple of "out of time" podcasts, to see if he can do science as well.

I have criticised Channel 4 in the past for coming up with brash, random, moderately offensive programmes which put people with afflictions on public view. "Embarrassing Fat Bodies" - that's really tactful and helpful, isn't it. Mind you I never saw it.

Last night I saw "24 Hours in A & E" and have to give credit where it's due.

The way it was done gave a lot of dignity to the people involved. The back-stories of the guy with cancer (I really felt for both him and his girlfriend) and the woman with the heart difficulties and pain were genuinely really moving and I found myself wanting to reach out and hug them.

You know you are getting old,when you prefer watching Portillo on the woking train,than Joanna Lumley on the trans siberian.

What is with the horrible panda eye makeup? It doesn't suit anyone, but especially not more sophisticated ladies.

Have downloaded a couple of "out of time" podcasts, to see if he can do science as well.

Passed the time, but you can't really do a first year graduate electromagnetics course in 45 mins. Science isdifferent to other knowledge.

I have criticised Channel 4 in the past for coming up with brash, random, moderately offensive programmes which put people with afflictions on public view. "Embarrassing Fat Bodies" - that's really tactful and helpful, isn't it. Mind you I never saw it.

Last night I saw "24 Hours in A & E" and have to give credit where it's due.

The way it was done gave a lot of dignity to the people involved. The back-stories of the guy with cancer (I really felt for both him and his girlfriend) and the woman with the heart difficulties and pain were genuinely really moving and I found myself wanting to reach out and hug them.

Many years ago, I saw the original "embarrassing bodies". I don't know if it was an actual pilot, or the subsequent series was inspired by it, but it was actually pretty good. "24 Hours" will probably go the same way. (I do actually watch embarrassing bodies quite often though)

Embarassing bodies?

I just noticed my c0ck looks a bit like a dildo, but it's half the size! :blink:

You do get different sized dildos Pin !

Do you go to special "big girl" shop? :blink:

I do Pinny.

Greggs...

XYY

Hmm, I fancy a "poo pastie"! :unsure:

You know you are getting old,when you prefer watching Portillo on the woking train,than Joanna Lumley on the trans siberian.

What is with the horrible panda eye makeup? It doesn't suit anyone, but especially not more sophisticated ladies.

Passed the time, but you can't really do a first year graduate electromagnetics course in 45 mins. Science isdifferent to other knowledge.

Indeed. Watch for the "science" questions on quizzes. They are all of the type "Who discovered?" "What is the biggest?". There's no actual science there, it's all history of science which as we all know is science for arts graduates (I'm an arts graduate so not having a go).

Turned the telly on at the back of nine last night, and all four main channels were showing reality TV of some flavour.

I take it no-one has the budget to actually make proper programmes any more?

Turned the telly on at the back of nine last night, and all four main channels were showing reality TV of some flavour.

I take it no-one has the budget to actually make proper programmes any more?

When they do it's an event but that event status is increasingly coming from the US.

The only British "event" that I can recall in recent years is Poldark and even that is a remake.

Despite being without a telly I work with people who do and several of them watch, fairly indiscriminately, whatever happens to be the current reality show to watch. I've vicariously watched recently Educating Yorkshire, Great British Bake Off, something about Councils etc.

These may all be perfectly good programmes but I find it odd that they and millions of others are content to have their evenings determined by not just the schedules but by the selection from those schedules of specific programmes by the newspapers when there is a world of programmes out there from the last 50 years. I have similar bafflement as to how people can spend their days listening to (primarily) commercial stations which ignore 60 years of pop and rock history and only play 20 or so songs released in the last few months.

Indeed. Watch for the "science" questions on quizzes. They are all of the type "Who discovered?" "What is the biggest?". There's no actual science there, it's all history of science which as we all know is science for arts graduates (I'm an arts graduate so not having a go).

Some of my best friends have "arts" degrees. Proper subjects though, like Philosphy, English or History. All clever buggers! The philosophers are particularly amusing. I'm not really sure what philosophy is, but it seems to be a whole course about humour and p1ss taking.

When I was a student, I met a lady in my first week, and I always got invited to her parties for the next few years. I think she was doing geography. I used to lie and told people I was studying history. Nobody wants to go to a party full of mathematicians.

I rarely listen to music on the radio. If I have the radio on, it's on Radio 4 in the background.

I don't buy any new music as I can only listen to music (as in: sit down in front of the speakers and *really* listen to it) on vinyl not CD, so I order vinyl second hand every month (filling in gaps in the collection, discovering new things). Were it not for the fact that I like some obscure and foreign stuff that usually comes from overseas, I could get away with spending just pennies. So "new music" for me might be an old Pink Floyd LP. Per Frank's point - there's a lot left for me to discover without ever hearing anything new.

For the TV I'll tend to flip through the channels (Freeview) a couple of times a week and set recordings. The box used to be full of stuff to watch, so much so, we'd delete a fair bit as we couldn't get through it. I have noticed that especially in the last six months or so, this hasn't been the case. Very little has attracted me to put it on record. I think the best thing in the last year may have been Season 4 of "Death in Paradise". Though it wasn't as good as Season 1..

On the subject of documentaries - I seem to recall programmes like Panorama, World in Action, Horizon being quite advanced, cutting edge, and genuinely eye-opening/intriguing whereas now - content does seem a bit sanitised and re-used.

Though, BBC4 has some interesting stuff and can surprise you, I can sometimes find myself watching a few hours of it learning about all sorts of random things.

Some of my best friends have "arts" degrees. Proper subjects though, like Philosphy, English or History. All clever buggers! The philosophers are particularly amusing. I'm not really sure what philosophy is, but it seems to be a whole course about humour and p1ss taking.

When I was a student, I met a lady in my first week, and I always got invited to her parties for the next few years. I think she was doing geography. I used to lie and told people I was studying history. Nobody wants to go to a party full of mathematicians.

Whilst I don't share the general stereotyping and have known many fun mathmos* (as well as the stereotypes) a girl in my year turned up to her first maths lecture, scanned the room, and decided that she wasn't going to spend her year with that lot and changed subject there and then.

* I actually did a year of maths and, bored rigid by the endless group theory and set theory when I'd chosen it because I liked numbers, also switched courses to something more interesting. So I may have been one of those in that room. I hope not.

I rarely listen to music on the radio. If I have the radio on, it's on Radio 4 in the background.

I don't buy any new music as I can only listen to music (as in: sit down in front of the speakers and *really* listen to it) on vinyl not CD, so I order vinyl second hand every month (filling in gaps in the collection, discovering new things). Were it not for the fact that I like some obscure and foreign stuff that usually comes from overseas, I could get away with spending just pennies. So "new music" for me might be an old Pink Floyd LP. Per Frank's point - there's a lot left for me to discover without ever hearing anything new.

For the TV I'll tend to flip through the channels (Freeview) a couple of times a week and set recordings. The box used to be full of stuff to watch, so much so, we'd delete a fair bit as we couldn't get through it. I have noticed that especially in the last six months or so, this hasn't been the case. Very little has attracted me to put it on record. I think the best thing in the last year may have been Season 4 of "Death in Paradise". Though it wasn't as good as Season 1..

On the subject of documentaries - I seem to recall programmes like Panorama, World in Action, Horizon being quite advanced, cutting edge, and genuinely eye-opening/intriguing whereas now - content does seem a bit sanitised and re-used.

Though, BBC4 has some interesting stuff and can surprise you, I can sometimes find myself watching a few hours of it learning about all sorts of random things.

That vinyl does sound a good hobby to indulge. Some great 60s bands are now known to me only by their greatest hits and I'm sure that there was a lot more to them. What was The Rolling Stones' debut album like for instance? (Yes, I know that I can hear it on Youtube, but it isn't the same).

Panorama etc. used to be about investigative journalism but, as the newspapers have found, that sort of thing is expensive and doesn't make a return in terms of circulation or viewers so it is much rarer these days.

Radio 7 (or Radio 4 Extra as it has been rebranded) is very hit and miss but as a result has some great unusual stuff because they're not chasing ratings. I've always known it for comedies but have heard some cracking factual programmes such as A Cook's Tour, which went on about cooks' contributions to the world. Not, as you might think, a cookery programme and the one I heard was about how Ho Chi Min (he of the Vietnam war) worked for Escoffier in Paris and in US restaurants IIRC in San Fransisco whilst being active in politics before returning to become a political leader.

Whilst I don't share the general stereotyping and have known many fun mathmos* (as well as the stereotypes) a girl in my year turned up to her first maths lecture, scanned the room, and decided that she wasn't going to spend her year with that lot and changed subject there and then.

* I actually did a year of maths and, bored rigid by the endless group theory and set theory when I'd chosen it because I liked numbers, also switched courses to something more interesting. So I may have been one of those in that room. I hope not.

Frank, they have no dress sense, and some are not hygienic. :blink:

Some of them looked like the relationship between them and a bath had ended weeks ago.

Not good for charming the chicks.

I'm a left handed slightly autistic ex-mathematician, which makes me a bit "awkward", but I had not much trouble with women, probably because I made the effort not to look too "vagrant", or smell like "Satan's bottom" :wacko:

Not much on telly last night. "Superfoods" stretched out 2 mins of info to half an hour. Apparently oily fish are good for you, but squirting wheat grass juice up your bum isnt. The jury is undecided on fermented milk products. The show's budget appears to have been spent on visiting exotic destinations. In "Supershopper" apparently 10 quid primark jeans look better on a skinny burd than levis do a fat burd.

"Alias Smith and Jones" on ITV4 on Tuesday mornings. Used to love it, but was a bit corny to be honest.

Not much on telly last night. "Superfoods" stretched out 2 mins of info to half an hour. Apparently oily fish are good for you, but squirting wheat grass juice up your bum isnt. The jury is undecided on fermented milk products. The show's budget appears to have been spent on visiting exotic destinations. In "Supershopper" apparently 10 quid primark jeans look better on a skinny burd than levis do a fat burd.

"Alias Smith and Jones" on ITV4 on Tuesday mornings. Used to love it, but was a bit corny to be honest.

What about the doc last night about the Bookies in Huddersfield? Gambling machines each making £800 profit a week (bookie had four of them); a violently angry punter; EA-sharpie executive luring new gamblers with so-called free bets, and a compulsive gambler called Stewart who had £4.68 to last him a fortnight until his next benefits cheque...

Then there was the smartie-pants who claimed he was actually making money from his online bets - until the bookies noticed and closed his accounts...

What a bunch of spivs, oddballs, chancers, and nutters!

At times I had to remind myself I wasn't on this site...