House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R K

Queen Mother Teaching Queen Elizabeth N&zi Salute

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/18/queens-nazi-salute-footage-historical-significance-sun

The Queen Mother then makes a Nazi salute, and, after glancing towards her mother, the Queen mimics the gesture.

Buckingham Palace said in a statement that it was “disappointing” the film – shot eight decades ago – had been “exploited”, while questions have been raised over how the newspaper obtained the clip, which is apparently from the monarch’s personal family archive.

2AA2F47D00000578-0-image-a-78_1437171044

It has all been conveniently forgotten now.... and the files are probably dusty somewhere in some archive or were destroyed long ago... but large elements of the English upper classes were in awe of Hitler and the Nazis. No where was this seen more publicly in none other than King Edward VIII - a very weak man and a man completely in awe of the Nazis. He seemed to think that Hitler could give him what he wanted - his throne AND his American divorcee wife.

But there were plenty of others in the upper classes of the English establishment who were in awe of Hitler - some of the Mitford family being most prominent after Edward - but there were others who, allegedly, even plotted a coup against Churchill's government.

That video is interesting in that, at first glance, it looks as if the weak Edward VIII is egging on the rest to do the salute. We can't hear what is being said - it would be great to see what a lip reader could make of it - and we can't hear what is being said by the person taking the pictures behind the camera. The children and Queen Mother appear to make the salutes in response to what someone says from behind the camera. Presumably, the person behind the camera is the later King George?

Is it vanity that makes people keep such relics from their past?

This film would have been better destroyed than made public.

Viva la republic!

Is it vanity that makes people keep such relics from their past?

This film would have been better destroyed than made public.

Viva la republic!

Maybe it brought back memories of a very happy day for the Queen?

I don't quite see what the big deal is, I thought it was common knowledge that the royal family were firm supporters of the Nazis.

Notice how the media agenda is trying to make the focus of the story on how The Sun got hold of the film rather than the content of the film itself.

Edit:

The first question of the Sky News presenter just now is where was this video stolen from and by whom. The response is about the question of copyright.

No, the story is why were the senior Royals making a Nazi saltue.

They could have simply have been taking the mick out of the Nazi salute. Then again...

Curious response from Palace PR

"It was eight decades ago"

Er yeah and? So was film of Hitler performing Nazi salutes.

A man has just been convicted of Nazi crimes 70 years later.

Very strange relationship UK has with its ruling overlords.

Historians and MPs have demanded the release of secret papers recording the reactions of the Queen Mother and her husband, George VI, to the rise of Nazi Germany.

MPs want public access to the documents - dating from the 1930s and kept secret until now - that include correspondence between Buckingham Palace and British appeasers of Hitler's Germany.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2002/apr/14/uk.queenmother

I hope she can still do it properly, in case Hitler is reconstructed from old DNA.

Curious response from Palace PR

"It was eight decades ago"

Er yeah and? So was film of Hitler performing Nazi salutes.

A man has just been convicted of Nazi crimes 70 years later.

Very strange relationship UK has with its ruling overlords.

Being a Nazi and committing war crimes are not the same thing at all.

They don't need nazis now, they have their own Govt assisting genocidal war crimes

in Afghan, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Palestine and Ukraine.

Guest eight

Does anyone really care?

I care as much as I care about what Rolf Harris got up to forty years ago.

No not sure what kind of era we`re moving into but I`m pretty sure that the Sun, royalty and the establishment will not have much part in it.

I`m sure my Mum would be upset at this `news` but then again she has been dead more than 10 years.

If someone asks you if you'd like an ice cream, just say yes rather than putting your hand up. For some reason it causes a lot less fuss that way.

I don't quite see what the big deal is, I thought it was common knowledge that the royal family were firm supporters of the Nazis.

The sympathies of certain British royals and aristocrats for the Nazis never made much sense to me as Hitler was no monarchist and never made any attempt to rehabilitate the Kaisar politically. Indeed amongst the German population one group that was hostile to the Nazis was German royalists. It must be a sign of a certain weakness of mind amongst certain members of the British royal family that they should in any way imagine that Hitler was likely to be sympathetic to them.

Was a time of political extremes facism v communisim/anarchism. Only one side would have left the royals alone and thats who they backed. UK as good as backed the fasicsts in the spanish civil war by applying a blockade to the republic whilst not confronting the axis/fascist ships. The UK only started confronting Germany/Nazis when their power was threatened, it certainly didn't start as an idealogical war.

Was a time of political extremes facism v communisim/anarchism. Only one side would have left the royals alone and thats who they backed. UK as good as backed the fasicsts in the spanish civil war by applying a blockade to the republic whilst not confronting the axis/fascist ships. The UK only started confronting Germany/Nazis when their power was threatened, it certainly didn't start as an idealogical war.

But the Nazis would not have 'left the royals alone'. Hitler was a revolutionary by instinct and distrusted monarchists. He may have been prepared to woo certain conservative elements to help the Nazis advance politically but ultimately they played no role in his view of a world constructed according to Nazi ideas. The Kaisar died in exile the Netherlands in 1941 guarded by the SS. He never returned to Germany

It is a great problem for all historians. You really can't judge the past with a modern 'brainframe'.

Add in a lot of propaganda, plus the 'fog of war', and such silly things assume a quite disproportionate significance.

Can't speak for the Royals, but there were very good relations with Germans between the wars.

If you like a good book, I can recommend Christabel Bielenberg's 'The Past Is Myself' . . . a story about a girl who was married just before the outbreak of war and spent wartime in Berlin. There's a similar book by Janet Tessier, 'Divided Loyalties', who spent her time in occupied France.

The Nuremberg trials were stopped years ago because men of vision decided that Europe should move on. That 'The Sun' is turning the clock back is rather sad.