House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

"are Pensioners The Only Voters Worth Fighting For? And If So, What Will Become Of Their Grandchildren?"

It's a good article. There is clear entitlement from some of the pensioners. But this stuff is going mainstream now. Makes a change from whining landlords.

OMG Christchurch, it's like The Walking Dead. You can't move in the shops for doddering pensioners and don't get stuck in a queue behind them as they try to remember their PIN!

a029ebaa-0abe-4400-a1d1-b2ff67305af9-206

I was waiting for "if only they gave up their iPads, then they'd be able to afford a house" malarkey..

I've never understood why younger people choose buying an iPad over buying a property. :rolleyes:

I remember my millionaire landlord coming to do an inspection on the 350k bungalow he had recently inherited that I was renting (a few years ago).

Told me it was purchased for about 3k, 45 years ago.

After the inspection I decided to go into town. He was at the bus stop waiting too, he got on for FREE and I had to pay £4.

Simple Solution:

Anyone in the 40% tax bracket in retirement should not get free bus pass or winter fuel allowance.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/general-election-2015-explained-turnout-10224278.html

There is a correlation between age and likelihood of voting. Only 50 per cent of men aged 18-to-24, and 39 per cent of women, voted in 2010’s general election. Among those aged 55 and over, 76 per cent of men and 73 per cent of women voted.

Only 16 per cent of 18-to-24-year-olds are certain to vote in an election, while 30 per cent in this age category told the Hansard Society that they are certain not to vote.

Voters aged over 75 are more than four times as likely to be “absolutely certain to vote” than voters aged 18-to-24

We see the result today in the young being screwed over in favour of the old by politicians of all parties. This is largly because of the young not voting. For those young people who think politics doesn't matter - it does.

Well....

Pensioners used to e reliable voters. They probably still are.

But the government is promising other peoples money to them, which is a problem.

Frankly, anyone aged 70-80 should be shot for economic crimes against the UK.

These people were in their earning prime in there 30s-40s - so thats the 1970s.

Remind me, did the uK run a huge surplus as all these e people 'worked hard all their lives' with bugger all of the previous generation's pensioners to support? Or did they p1ss away the UK's industrial base and run an IMFlike deficit?

On Christchurch itself. Jeez. What should be a stunning place - geography is great, climate is good, near Hengsbury head etc etc.

The town is a scruffy, fcking mess. Full of cheap, tacky p1ss stinking scooter shops.

And those 'hard working' pensioners have a problem.

The younger generation is not as flush, does not have a large, pension being paid for by the younger people.

There 'property is my pension' is dead. There's no one coming up to buy there house.

I see this in scarborough, which, scruffy as it is, is a lot nicer place than Christchurch.

What the challenging parties should be doing is trying to get young people to vote.

Labour held a 30 point lead with people VERY unlikely to vote whilst the Tories held a 10% lead with people certain to vote.

The country as a whole aren't supportive of the Tory line at all, they just don't vote.

We need to make voter registration easier and modernise it. If you stick with voting linked to an address how does someone in insecure accommodation actually get to vote?

Of course what the Tories are actually doing is making voting MORE difficult and redrawing the boundaries based on registered voters rather than population.

I remember my millionaire landlord coming to do an inspection on the 350k bungalow he had recently inherited that I was renting (a few years ago).

Told me it was purchased for about 3k, 45 years ago.

After the inspection I decided to go into town. He was at the bus stop waiting too, he got on for FREE and I had to pay £4.

Simple Solution:

Anyone in the 40% tax bracket in retirement should not get free bus pass or winter fuel allowance.

Why the 40% tax bracket? My mother is firmly in the 20% tax bracket but refuses to take a bus pass, saying the country can't afford it.

If you get pension credit, you get a bus pass and winter fuel allowance. If you don't, then you don't.

And as a general principle all forms of wealth should be taxed equally. Earned income, share price increases, property price increases....

If I recall properly from the article, one of the oldies interviewed said they were a life long labour voter except the tories are more generous to pensioners currently so he's voting Tory now.

Irrespective of whether he's misunderstood the pros and cons of the parties, that's a classic selfish move. There's self interest and then there's informed self interest, they latter takes into consideration the wider benefits to everyone else not just yourself.

Well....

Pensioners used to e reliable voters. They probably still are.

But the government is promising other peoples money to them, which is a problem.

Frankly, anyone aged 70-80 should be shot for economic crimes against the UK.

These people were in their earning prime in there 30s-40s - so thats the 1970s.

Remind me, did the uK run a huge surplus as all these e people 'worked hard all their lives' with bugger all of the previous generation's pensioners to support? Or did they p1ss away the UK's industrial base and run an IMFlike deficit?

On Christchurch itself. Jeez. What should be a stunning place - geography is great, climate is good, near Hengsbury head etc etc.

The town is a scruffy, fcking mess. Full of cheap, tacky p1ss stinking scooter shops.

And those 'hard working' pensioners have a problem.

The younger generation is not as flush, does not have a large, pension being paid for by the younger people.

There 'property is my pension' is dead. There's no one coming up to buy there house.

I see this in scarborough, which, scruffy as it is, is a lot nicer place than Christchurch.

If the traditional parties keep on stitching up the young, when it comes to the young voting in 20 or 30 years time, I hope they remember how shafted they were when they were younger, and vote accordingly...

If the traditional parties keep on stitching up the young, when it comes to the young voting in 20 or 30 years time, I hope they remember how shafted they were when they were younger, and vote accordingly...

I remember how I was shafted when I was young. Which is one reason I believe in reducing state interference, including tax and benefits.