House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saving For a Space Ship

Lpg Car Tales & Call For Lpg Fuel Congestion Charge Exemption

I've just sold my beloved prius, and bought an lpg /petrol hybrid estate car for the first time, as I needed to tow and carry more stuff.

I wa interested in experiences others may have had of Lpg cars.

Suppliers having a push on congestion charge reduction this month, which will make them more attractive if succesful.

Autogas calls for LPG fuel congestion charge exemption

http://www.airqualitynews.com/2015/07/16/autogas-calls-for-lpg-fuel-congestion-charge-exemption/

Have had some experience, and probably not what you want to hear but, my advice to anyone considering an LPG vehicle. excluding forklift trucks, would be get a diesel.

My feeling is that gas systems, how ever well installed, cause unnecessary problems to engines and, though it grieves me a bit to say it, modern diesel engines in cars have come on so far that I don't think the big petrols offer as much extra excitement, as they used to.

I've only once had an LPG vehicle as a daily driver, but went electric with forklifts, so gas wasn't so readily available so never fitted another gas system to a daily driver. I have got, I think, 3 vehicles that had gas systems fitted, in my 'heritage fleet', when I acquired them which I do try to keep either functional, if parts are available, or otherwise remove them, and at the moment I've got eight gas injectors waiting to drill and fit. I also know a pro installer whose brains I can pick and even then I would categorise gas systems as an unnecessary layer of maintenance and troubleshooting.

Just stick your foot down! And get a V8.

I thought this was an interesting thread... Lpg ownership leading to hybrid / ev

Who's had an LPG vehicle before, BEV/PHEV now?

https://speakev.com/threads/whos-had-an-lpg-vehicle-before-bev-phev-now.7882/

Have had some experience, and probably not what you want to hear but, my advice to anyone considering an LPG vehicle. excluding forklift trucks, would be get a diesel.

My feeling is that gas systems, how ever well installed, cause unnecessary problems to engines and, though it grieves me a bit to say it, modern diesel engines in cars have come on so far that I don't think the big petrols offer as much extra excitement, as they used to.

I've only once had an LPG vehicle as a daily driver, but went electric with forklifts, so gas wasn't so readily available so never fitted another gas system to a daily driver. I have got, I think, 3 vehicles that had gas systems fitted, in my 'heritage fleet', when I acquired them which I do try to keep either functional, if parts are available, or otherwise remove them, and at the moment I've got eight gas injectors waiting to drill and fit. I also know a pro installer whose brains I can pick and even then I would categorise gas systems as an unnecessary layer of maintenance and troubleshooting.

I'm on a budget, and see diesels as a dirty fuel (appreciated there's little choice with commercials).

I posted this on another thread. Theres a lot of pointers about diesels being legislated against in the future .

Newer diesel cars emitting more NO2, study finds

www.airqualitynews.com/2013/05/24/newer-diesel-cars-emitting-more-no2-study-finds/

I wouldn't have sold my prius hybrid unless I needed to tow. Sitting in traffic on a slow crawl, seems alien and a backward step in driving to me now.

Newer diesel cars emitting more NO2, study finds

Just stick your foot down! And get a V8.

Lpg must have kept a lot of v8s on the rd by lowering running cost

Stay away from conversions ,go with dual fuel from the manufacturers

I don't think many manufacturers do it now?

Other countries seemed to have a much larger % of lpg cars than uk

The share of Autogas in total automotive-fuel consumption varies widely among those countries, ranging from a mere 0.1% in the United States to 18% in Turkey.

The only country other than Turkey where Autogas makes up more than 10% of the automotive-fuel market is Korea, where the share is 14%

http://www.auto-gas.net/about-autogas/the-autogas-market#.VamRm_lViko

Koreans are all on LPG, no Diesel!

I had an LPG car when I lived in Oz. Someone had taken the expense (this was 15 years ago) to fit an LPG system to a 1980 corrolla. Must have been expensive for them to do it at the time, but infrastructure for LPG was much better supported over there, pretty much every petrol station had LPG.

The tank took up a bit of room in the boot, but not so much that it bothered me. To run it on petrol you had to flush the LPG which could take upto 5 minutes, which I only ever did once every couple of months.

I did have to get the engine reconditioned at one point but that was due to a friend running it hot rather than the a problem with the LPG.

I ended up selling it for more than I bought it!

Here's the little beauty: :wub:

Notice the lovely touch of chipboard to replace the sunroof! (I gave it a good welly one day and I got a glass shard shower)

image.png
image hosting 10mb limit

I had an LPG car when I lived in Oz. Someone had taken the expense (this was 15 years ago) to fit an LPG system to a 1980 corrolla. Must have been expensive for them to do it at the time, but infrastructure for LPG was much better supported over there, pretty much every petrol station had LPG.

The tank took up a bit of room in the boot, but not so much that it bothered me. To run it on petrol you had to flush the LPG which could take upto 5 minutes, which I only ever did once every couple of months.

I did have to get the engine reconditioned at one point but that was due to a friend running it hot rather than the a problem with the LPG.

Notice the lovely touch of chipboard to replace the sunroof! (I gave it a good welly one day and I got a glass shard shower)

image.png

image hosting 10mb limit

Nice car I suppose, but I wouldn't fit me c0ck in it without opening the roof. :wacko:

I've done over 250,000m on Lpg in 3 cars when commuting 90-300 miles a day in the last 7 years.

My smallest car, with 150k on Lpg (110hp) costs me £20 for 300miles. Around 7p a mile last week. You can hunt around for cheap Lpg as it currently varies from around 50p a litre to 70p.

There are several Lpg apps / websites which show prices / maps.

A lot depends on the installed system. I have always used flashlube to prevent issues successfully.

It meant I could get a 250hp 7 seater for almost 1/2 the cost of the 1.8l diesel version and lower running costs and no dpf / injector worries. Only worth it really over 14k per year driving IMHO.

According to

www.drivelpg.co.uk/about-autogas/environmental-benefits

One diesel vehicle emits 120 times the amount of fine particles as the equivalent LPG vehicle.

It takes 20 LPG vehicles to emit the same amount of NOx as one diesel vehicle.

I doubt there will be traction in getting duty changed / concessions made as there are too many VIs in the oil industry, to the point where I wonder if the M25 was designed to be congested to raise more fuel duty!!

But will your downstairs pin run on LPG

Look, I'm not called MrPin for the size of my trouser object!

I dunno, it's all slotting into place now...V8's, huge post count on HPC etc etc :P

No! Don't call me Tinky Winky! It will remind me of the showers at school! :o

image.png

image hosting 10mb limit

Ha ha, ditto. I had a 1980 Holden commodore that had been converted (this was in 2000). Like you say, the infrastructure is much better.

Ha ha, ditto. I had a 1980 Holden commodore that had been converted (this was in 2000). Like you say, the infrastructure is much better.

I may be remembering it wrong, but wasn't it something like 10AUD to fill up a normal tank?

I remember that petrol was the same in AUD as it was in GBP at the time (79p/litre in UK but 79c/litre in oz), so at the time petrol was around a third cheaper, but I'm sure that LPG was around 25c/litre

I may be remembering it wrong, but wasn't it something like 10AUD to fill up a normal tank?

I remember that petrol was the same in AUD as it was in GBP at the time (79p/litre in UK but 7pc/litre in oz), so at the time petrol was around a third cheaper, but I'm sure that LPG was around 25c/litre

I honestly can't remember exactly. All I can recall is it being cheap!

I honestly can't remember exactly. All I can recall is it being cheap!

Was great, I wouldnt think twice about going up the coast for the weekend and kipping in the car, which for someone who hadnt got a pot to piss in, was a great escape :)

I don't think many manufacturers do it now?

Toyota and ford use to but am not sure now ,had a Toyota corolla for a short while (some ran into it whilst it was parked) cracking little car and very cheap to run

Was great, I wouldnt think twice about going up the coast for the weekend and kipping in the car, which for someone who hadnt got a pot to piss in, was a great escape :)

Me and my girlfriend arrived in Darwin (cheapest flight from UK to Oz was Heathrow to Darwin on Royal Brunei), bought the commodore for $750 and a load of cheap camping gear and we made it through the next 6 months on about $2000 just travelling and camping, saw some great places and met some great people. We did the whole West Coast. Magical.

Very different to Sydney where you meet people who get pissed in Bondi for 6 months and claim to have been 'travelling'

Me and my girlfriend arrived in Darwin (cheapest flight from UK to Oz was Heathrow to Darwin on Royal Brunei), bought the commodore for $750 and a load of cheap camping gear and we made it through the next 6 months on about $2000 just travelling and camping, saw some great places and met some great people. We did the whole West Coast. Magical.

Very different to Sydney where you meet people who get pissed in Bondi for 6 months and claim to have been 'travelling'

Sounds great!

ahh yes; the "oz experience" which was basically a ****** truck with all the dreggs of humanity on board!

I never made it as far as the west coast, but went up and down the east at various points (because LPG was so cheap :) )

As great as that little car was, I was terrified that it wouldn't make it across the country. In reality it probably would have but I was skint 90% of the time.

When I reconditioned the engine, I'd broken down in the middle of nowhere but chance would have it, right next to caravan park with a retired mechanic living on site. We spent the next month taking it apart and putting it back together. I think I learned more in that month than I have in multiple years in the UK's education system!

ahh yes; the "oz experience" which was basically a ****** truck with all the dreggs of humanity on board!

I never made it as far as the west coast, but went up and down the east at various points (because LPG was so cheap :) )

As great as that little car was, I was terrified that it wouldn't make it across the country. In reality it probably would have but I was skint 90% of the time.

When I reconditioned the engine, I'd broken down in the middle of nowhere but chance would have it, right next to caravan park with a retired mechanic living on site. We spent the next month taking it apart and putting it back together. I think I learned more in that month than I have in multiple years in the UK's education system!

You found an angel! And a teacher. What a journey!

You found an angel! And a teacher. What a journey!

Certainly was, don't think I could manage taking a lexus apart though if you were wondering! I think even the wheels would cost a bomb if I screwed it up.

You're not going to believe this - we had exactly the same situation!

We ran out of money in Perth and money was hard to come by, so we decided to take a chance and drive to Sydney where work was more widely available. Along the way fuses started blowing and the automatic choke got stuck. I pulled over in a campsite carpark to take a look somewhere in the north of SA and it turns out...... the owner was a mechanic (or at least know what he was doing with cars). Fixed us up over the course of a day and we were on our way. Beautiful, friendly people in rural Australia. We met loads who would give you the shirt off their back.