House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northerner

Do People Become More Prejudiced As They Grow Older?

"My research suggests that, although many people remain unprejudiced throughout their lives, older adults have a tendency to be more prejudiced than their younger counterparts. Psychologists used to believe that greater prejudice among older adults was due to the fact that older people grew up in less egalitarian times. In contrast to this view, we have gathered evidence that normal changes to the brain in late adulthood can lead to greater prejudice among older adults". William von Hippel is Professor of Psychology at the University of Queensland, Australia.

Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33523313

What a load of rubbish. And I bet the Psychology Department at the University of Queensland is not very big - what's not to understand about a bunch of Skippy-loving, Fosters-drinking Sheilas descended from criminals and now think they can play cricket because they have had one good innings! And what sort of a name is "von Hippel"!

No. I'm with you. The older generation was always prejudiced. It came of growing up in a less equal world. The disinhibition of later years is simply bringing it out.

Older people have more experience. Experience should enable better judgement. Judgement is not prejudgement.

Always gets me when people say 'no one is born racist'

So what? No one is born able to climb a tree either. Its acquired through experience. If experiences make people racist, maybe there is something in it.

Romanians have attempted to mug me numerous times now. Inevitably thats going to colour my opinions about Romani's. I was open minded before they arrived on mass, I did not prejudge them. But since then I have had experiences that enable me to make a judgement and save myself hassle.

Do I believe in 'scientific racism' No. I don't believe Romani's are genetically inferior. I do however belief they come from a culture that could be described as degenerate and is not compatible with the rule of law.

Lots of people get less naive as they get older. This can look like prejudice to the still naive (and I suppose can lead to genuine prejudice). Executive Sadman's example is a case in point - he'd get called racist by some for it but it doesn't sound like it. It would only become so if it gets taken to the level of prejudging individuals without admitting the possibility of them not being like that. I'd still argue that's a valid position even if only 10% are scum. Assuming they're all scum as a result is racist, being open but wary and cautious is experience.

!I don't like "ricists" coming here from foreign places! :(

Bloody foreigners just don't hold by the same live and let live liberal attitudes that we have held onto for hundreds of years.

I'm not quite that old.

No. I'm with you. The older generation was always prejudiced. It came of growing up in a less equal world. The disinhibition of later years is simply bringing it out.

I have to say I never heard either of my parents express any prejudiced opinions at all, whether racist or whatever - my mother is now 97. Although in her 80s she did once say of a neighbour's son, 'I think he's homosexual but he's very nice.' So I guess that 'but' showed some sort of feeling. She told me once that she'd never even heard of gays until she was 25 and had been married a couple of years. Someone at work told her, and she didn't believe them. She had to wait until my father was home on leave (wartime) to ask him.

I have to say I never heard either of my parents express any prejudiced opinions at all, whether racist or whatever - my mother is now 97. Although in her 80s she did once say of a neighbour's son, 'I think he's homosexual but he's very nice.' So I guess that 'but' showed some sort of feeling. She told me once that she'd never even heard of gays until she was 25 and had been married a couple of years. Someone at work told her, and she didn't believe them. She had to wait until my father was home on leave (wartime) to ask him.

Is there something wrong with that comment?

Is there something wrong with that comment?

Not really - it was just that ' but' probably revealing feelings she was very likely not even conscious of. If I'd said anything at the time, like, 'What do you mean, BUT?' - she'd have been very upset and denied having 'anything against them'. But I wouldn't even have thought of it - you only had to twitch an eyelash at her the wrong way to upset her anyway.

A sister of hers, a bit younger and brought up just the same - was very different. She used to make a lot of very outspoken and frankly nasty racist comments. My kids used to be horrified and wonder how I could stand listening to her without having a massive go. But there were always more than enough squabbles in my mother's family without me adding to them.

Not really - it was just that ' but' probably revealing feelings she was very likely not even conscious of. If I'd said anything at the time, like, 'What do you mean, BUT?' - she'd have been very upset and denied having 'anything against them'. But I wouldn't even have thought of it - you only had to twitch an eyelash at her the wrong way to upset her anyway.

A sister of hers, a bit younger and brought up just the same - was very different. She used to make a lot of very outspoken and frankly nasty racist comments. My kids used to be horrified and wonder how I could stand listening to her without having a massive go. But there were always more than enough squabbles in my mother's family without me adding to them.

I don't think I can become a ricist now!

I remember going out for a pint with a few mates, in London, after work. We couldn't find our mate "Big John". At the bar, and I asked some lovely little brown lady behind the bar, have you seen him? What does he look like? "Well he's actually a giant spade in a shiny jacket, you can't really miss him". Oh there he is.

Guest eight

I don't think I can become a ricist now!

I remember going out for a pint with a few mates, in London, after work. We couldn't find our mate "Big John". At the bar, and I asked some lovely little brown lady behind the bar, have you seen him? What does he look like? "Well he's actually a giant spade in a shiny jacket, you can't really miss him". Oh there he is.

People are funny like that. My mate who doesn't like motor racing but knows that I do was trying to tell me about a documentary that he'd seen and found very inspirational. When I asked who it was about he couldn't remember the guy's name but tried to describe him in every single way apart from the fact that the guy - Alex Zanardi - lost his legs in an accident. He was apprehensive about to defining him in that way, despite him battling so hard to overcome it being the thing that he found so inspirational about his story.

I wonder whether some kids actually get less prejudiced as they get older, and shed some of the views they've absorbed from their parents.

Not that I'd be over optimistic in this case, but when my daughter lived in a student house in Nottingham, she and her female friends were regularly on the receiving end of shouted racist and sexist abuse from some Asian boys who lived across the road. 'dirty white slag' and 'dirty white whore' were the least of it. The boys were only about 9 or 10 - no prizes for guessing where they got their ideas from.

I don't believe Romani's are genetically inferior. I do however belief they come from a culture that could be described as degenerate and is not compatible with the rule of law.

After thousands of years you could probably argue they are racially superior due to natural selection for what they do.

After thousands of years you could probably argue they are racially superior due to natural selection for what they do.

Stefan Molyneux has argued that point with the Ashkenazi jews, who apparently have the highest average IQ...he postulates due to the wit and cunning they have had to develop to avoid death.

With the Romanis, while they may be persecuted like Jews have been, id say breeding like Rabbits has ensured their survival more than anything else.

Depends what predjudice you are talking about......as people get older they start losing things, their youth, their health, their partners, their memory/mind.....maybe they feel more threatened by those that are more capable than themselves?....older people like what they know, are less inclined to embrace changes..... ;)

"My research suggests that, although many people remain unprejudiced throughout their lives, older adults have a tendency to be more prejudiced than their younger counterparts. Psychologists used to believe that greater prejudice among older adults was due to the fact that older people grew up in less egalitarian times. In contrast to this view, we have gathered evidence that normal changes to the brain in late adulthood can lead to greater prejudice among older adults". William von Hippel is Professor of Psychology at the University of Queensland, Australia.

Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33523313

What a load of rubbish. And I bet the Psychology Department at the University of Queensland is not very big - what's not to understand about a bunch of Skippy-loving, Fosters-drinking Sheilas descended from criminals and now think they can play cricket because they have had one good innings! And what sort of a name is "von Hippel"!

Since you accumulate more experiences through life, you're more likely to be prejudiced when young and inexperienced, postjudiced when old and experienced.

Depends what predjudice you are talking about......as people get older they start losing things, their youth, their health, their partners, their memory/mind.....maybe they feel more threatened by those that are more capable than themselves?....older people like what they know, are less inclined to embrace changes..... ;)

Oh fuggit, I've left my teeth on the bus again! :blink:

Damn! soup for the weekend!

Oh fuggit, I've left my teeth on the bus again! :blink:

Damn! soup for the weekend!

So that was you who bit me on the way home today? And I thought it was those two teenage girls messin' about.

So that was you who bit me on the way home today? And I thought it was those two teenage girls messin' about.

Rather like the "music of Wagner", I am not as bad as I sound! :wacko:

Older people have more experience. Experience should enable better judgement. Judgement is not prejudgement.

Always gets me when people say 'no one is born racist'

So what? No one is born able to climb a tree either. Its acquired through experience. If experiences make people racist, maybe there is something in it.

Romanians have attempted to mug me numerous times now. Inevitably thats going to colour my opinions about Romani's. I was open minded before they arrived on mass, I did not prejudge them. But since then I have had experiences that enable me to make a judgement and save myself hassle.

Do I believe in 'scientific racism' No. I don't believe Romani's are genetically inferior. I do however belief they come from a culture that could be described as degenerate and is not compatible with the rule of law.

Roma Romanian are a fckingcurse.

I sued to think the Romanians and Hungarians were prejudiced. Aftr having various run ins, I can see they are right.

Non-Roma Romanians are great.

I know a couple of Romanian women.

They're great!

Stefan Molyneux has argued that point with the Ashkenazi jews, who apparently have the highest average IQ...he postulates due to the wit and cunning they have had to develop to avoid death.

With the Romanis, while they may be persecuted like Jews have been, id say breeding like Rabbits has ensured their survival more than anything else.

Ashkenazi have a good 2,000 years head start on mental activity - they were arguing the finer points of the Torah whilst we were hunting dinosaurs with pointy sticks.

Its come a a very high risk of concentrated genetic risk. My SIL is Ashkenazi. The disappointment on marrying out was tempered by the not having genetic problems with the grand kids.

EE Roma are just as inbred but without the literacy and a culturally nihilistic.

I was unprejudiced as a child, developed unfounded prejudices through my teenage years, had them eroded during my twenties and so was unprejudiced in my thirties and then started to develop well founded prejudices in my forties and expect I will reach the point of hating everyone by the time I'm 60. By the time I'm 80, I expect I will like anyone who will change my nappy.

EE Roma are just as inbred but without the literacy and a culturally nihilistic.

I was showing an Indian colleague around town one day and he asked who all these dodgy looking folk were hanging around begging. Roma I told him. After a while his face lit up and he said "ah we know these people in India, they were a scourge a thousand years ago, stealing gold from temple roofs, they were kicked out... I wondered where they ended up".

Given the Roma are almost impervious to modern civilisation other then predating on it I do wonder if thousands of years of inbreeding have evolved them to scavenge of the margins of society and attempts to integrate them are futile? It's just another survival strategy, they have found a niche to exploit like any other animal.