House Price Crash Forum
kjw

Londoners Are Ditching The City In Droves

Londoners are leaving the capital in droves.

But it looks like young people are still being attracted by the bright lights of the city.

According to data released by the Office for National Statistics between August 2013 and June 2014, 68,634 more people left London than moved in.

And that is up 10% on the year before.

Could it be the fact that landlords are basically now trying to flog ‘mattresses with walls’ as studio flats? {more at link...]

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/16/londoners-are-ditching-the-city-in-droves-5299198/?ito=facebook

It is not expensive to live in London if you own your own place that was purchased years ago very cheaply....why you don't even need a car living in London.

These people that are leaving can now rent their places out for a fortune and live almost anywhere they want to.....their London place will fund all living costs and lifestyle.....a London nation of either owners or renters.....very few now can afford to buy the way most could once do.....huge gap growing between the haves and the have nots, and those never likely to have.....no stake in society...huge growing social divisions, very sad.

Trouble is that you likely have to be in your early 50s at least to be in such a situation, winkie. But I agree, accommodation aside - London is not that expensive.

It's the same story as it ever was. When you're young, London is exciting and full of opportunities. As you get older, for many people the problems of expensive accommodation, pollution, overcrowding etc loom become less of a trade off worth making.

Trouble is that you likely have to be in your early 50s at least to be in such a situation, winkie. But I agree, accommodation aside - London is not that expensive.

It's the same story as it ever was. When you're young, London is exciting and full of opportunities. As you get older, for many people the problems of expensive accommodation, pollution, overcrowding etc loom become less of a trade off worth making.

Quite.....but in the future older Londoners will still be having to pay rents all of their lives unless they are in line for a large pension lump sum or an inheritance enough that could purchase a place of their own or enough to continue paying the rent the rest of their lives...that does not bode well, having to rely on a death to get you out of a sticky mess, when once individuals could fund their entire lives independently without help from others...... Edited by winkie

Unsurprising when you see how well some have done from the increase in house prices. There was a programme on Channel 4, I think, last week that gave a few examples of how tenants benefited from the right to buy legislation. The most extreme example I viewed was the council tenant who purchases his Georgian town house for £1 in the mid 80s. The agent valuing it suggested it should sell for around £1,350,000.

That's more than enough to purchase a substantial house elsewhere and fund his retirement. With a windfall like that he can pick and choose where he wants to live. I find London enjoyable on my infrequent visits, not somewhere I would like to live permanently.

The 'property wave' periodic cycle originating in London has been going on as long as I can remember. Get the feeling there's a bit of a wave going on at the moment (purely anecdotal). Family just bought a house literally twice the size & just over two thirds the price of their Stoke Newington house. Garden 10 times the size of course. Station 1 mile away, 35 mins. to central London. Talking to neighbours, this migration seems to be happening a lot recently.

Errrm. Tell me a year when net internal migration to London was positive?

This has been going on for at least 30 years according to ons stats despite what the ill founded rubbish trumpeted by the London based media.

The only group that has positive net migration into London is in the 20-30 age group....I.e. Those continuing the university experience after graduating and looking to start their careers. Every other age group is out.

But what you have been seeing more recently is the young people moving in as you say for all the known reasons, but they then bring with them further down the line their extended families to help with finance and childminding.... So older people have been moving to London later in their lives.....starting a new life in London.

Another big discussion point is the number of social/council housing that is being sub let to others...large rents being collected and the original people allocated that property living elsewhere........this needs to be addressed and sorted.

It is not expensive to live in London if you own your own place that was purchased years ago very cheaply....why you don't even need a car living in London.

These people that are leaving can now rent their places out for a fortune and live almost anywhere they want to.....their London place will fund all living costs and lifestyle.....a London nation of either owners or renters.....very few now can afford to buy the way most could once do.....huge gap growing between the haves and the have nots, and those never likely to have.....no stake in society...huge growing social divisions, very sad.

Can't disagree with a single sentence as a North London born N5 Whittington hospital proud Londoner it is very sad, I find myself getting really angry about it, I also am less tolerant than ever of trendy Hoxton types, in Spitalfields, Dalston etc who have edged locals out with their provincial BMOD money and have the temerity to tell me about London.

Example some scatty whilte Middle class posh bird reporter asked what her favorite train station was and she said Dalston Junction for christ sake

Seen a few flare ups as it were and they weren't who you would expect i.e affluent (I mean born and bred who have done ok nice car, London accent the trappings so not envious of money) Londoners in the face of these people, I suspect the social divisions will be nuanced than people think.

Edited by Greg Bowman

Well, if that is really happening surely at some point the population of London will fall? If even with all the unbridled immigration, more people are leaving London than coming, the only thing that can cause the London population to increase is birth rates and with benefits set to be cut, that is much less likely. Perhaps we will see at some point in the not too distant future a London which is much more empty and landlords need to fight to attract tenants. That will be the day.

Can't disagree with a single sentence as a North London born N5 Whittington hospital proud Londoner it is very sad, I find myself getting really angry about it, I also am less tolerant than ever of trendy Hoxton types, in Spitalfields, Dalston etc who have edged locals out with their provincial BMOD money and have the temerity to tell me about London.

Example some scatty whilte Middle class posh bird reporter asked what her favorite train station was and she said Dalston Junction for christ sake

Seen a few flare ups as it were and they weren't who you would expect i.e affluent (I mean born and bred who have done ok nice car, London accent the trappings so not envious of money) Londoners in the face of these people, I suspect the social divisions will be nuanced than people think.

How funny. Just goes to show the media and EA brainwashing has been the most successful campaign in history. All for HPI and making a buck from the property boom. God, it will be great to see this all come crashing down...hope I live to see it.

My brother and his wife, 30ish, have just left. And not to cash in a property windfall either. Few people that age have a property to cash in.

They've left because they just couldn't take the insane rents any more. They were paying £1600/month or so for a not-that-nice flat, with further rent hikes on the way. They'd long since given up on buying a house.

For most of us under 40 and without Right to Buy, there's no long-term future in London.

I have thought about this the last few days with the events happening and wonder if the 'wave' is about to reverse...let me explain my thinking.....

BTL got dealt a blow with the increased taxation...and so demand by them for property will drop.

Yesterday Carney mentioned the interest rate...and so repayments will become more expensive for BOTH OO and BTL.

BTL have been dealt a 'double whammy' as a result of these two meaning that both yield and asset value increases will both suffer...some BTL were making no yield but were happy with the growth...they wont even get this now!

MMR means buyers (especially FTB) will find it more difficult to buy unless they have a sizeable deposit.

RESULT?...prices will drop as demand (and/or ability to buy has been reduced...

SO...those that were 'priced out' of London and had to move to the shires will move back in to a) save or transportation/commuting and B) to 'be where the action is'

The recent gains in the shires will then drop as once again demand will drop...

Thoughts/comments anyone?

I'm in the 20-30 bracket and the thought of living in London makes me feel ill.

As mentioned on the last page....poor quality of air is a major issue, living there it is hardly noticed, but move to a place where the air is fresher and cleaner it is very easy to notice the difference..so making you feel ill is not so very far removed.

Anyway what does 'you are entering a low emissions area' mean when you are at home?.....

With a reduction on benefit cap many more are likely to be on their way out.

IIRC, around 90,000 households were affected. Not sure if this figure takes into account WTC impact. If an average household = 2 adults + 2 kids then exodus = 90,000×4.

Edited by Fairyland

been offered at least three jobs in london in the past year on 6 figures and turned them down, I can have a much better quality of life in Yorkshire on much less wages.

Unless there is a specific reason for a business to be in London I cannot possibly see how you could compete effectively with the wages bill you would have to pay.

Unless of course your in an industry where you can print your own money "literally" then it doesn't matter:)

shhh Dont tell the BTL brigade but you can have a 3bed house here for 80k. and a crash has started I was thinking of making it my goal to try and buy a house for 1x my salary instead of the 10x I would need in london. :)

Article in the local press noting the same in Cambridge a couple of weeks back.

Could be the recent (2007-2013) 'baby boom' maybe? Lots of couples with babies born then looking to start school, dont want an inner city school etc, want garden as kid gets a bit older.

Really!

I visited Yorkshire recently, cheap as chips.

Breakfast, lunch, night out, dinner car hire... Noticeably cheaper quality adjusted.

You pay for high housing in everything. It's like petrol.

London is a great place for single men to meet a woman, I have known some really pretty women who can't find anyone I have known women that pretty anywhere else.

Not always what you see on the outside that matters. ;)

Nearly 10,000 people died in a year as a result of air pollution in London.

The researchers, believed to be the first to combine the two pollutants, found that in 2010 there was the equivalent of 5,900 deaths associated with NO2 long term exposure and 3,500 deaths as a result of long-term exposure to PM2.5.

As other hpc'ers have mentioned, Diesel fumes could be the asbestos scale health scandal of the 2000's.

Imo, It is a scandal that Gov /EU / Environment agency have not encouraged Lpg & lpg / hybrid public & private vehicles more . They have very low NOx emissions

Newer diesel cars emitting more NO2, study finds

http://www.airqualitynews.com/2013/05/24/newer-diesel-cars-emitting-more-no2-study-finds/

London pollution: 50 worst spots in UK for air filth are ALL in the capital

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-pollution-shame-laid-bare-the-uks-50-worst-spots-for-air-filth-are-all-in-the-capital-10087611.html