House Price Crash Forum
overlander

Btl Scum Regrouping And On The Offensive. -- Merged

She wants to take down Shelter? LET'S DO THIS!!!

This news about Bosher looking into getting Shelter struck off by the Charities Commission is brilliant.

I wonder where sober minded sophisticated landlords looking for an organisation to represent them will be inclined to pay their subs, with the guys who are closely associated with a campaigner who is trying to shut down a national housing charity or with the guys who aren't? A tricky decision for a landlord to make, for certain.

This news about Bosher looking into getting Shelter struck off by the Charities Commission is brilliant.

I wonder where sober minded sophisticated landlords looking for an organisation to represent them will be inclined to pay their subs, with the guys who are closely associated with a campaigner who is trying to shut down a national housing charity or with the guys who aren't? A tricky decision for a landlord to make, for certain.

Oh dear, they are not happy bunnies on that thread.

I'm glad I have a landlord who treats me like a valued customer because I would soon have had ENOUGH of that load of tossers. I could be the tenant from Hell if I really put my mind to it. Ask me to do something and I will try my best to comply. Tell me to do something and Hell will freeze over before I will comply :lol:.

Edited by Bruce Banner

Looks like they've had ENOUGH of, err, being treated like businesses. ENOUGH of absorbing business risk. And ENOUGH of not being given free money anymore. Mega Sobz.

I think we've spent the last 10 pages discussing that but there is a new bit

Accountingweb have picked up the same story http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/tax/personal-tax/property-investors-hit-by-sneaky-tax-rise and its great fun watching some of them show how unfit they are to call themselves accountants...

Looks like they've had ENOUGH of, err, being treated like businesses. ENOUGH of absorbing business risk. And ENOUGH of not being given free money anymore. Mega Sobz.

Heh, that is what always gets me when flicking through Property118, these people want to be treated as businesses but then do not behave like businesses in looking at pricing of risk and opportunity costs.

I appreciate they are smaller cottage businesses, but either you are a business or not.

Running a business based on debt with a risky 2% yield, and then crying foul when something goes against you is not really a sign of a responsible business.

If you are a business, manage yourselves better and anticipate or manage tax/regulation changes. (or at least deal with them as they arise)

If you are a personal investor, then don't expect juicy tax breaks from the government.

My business is fairly tiny and so you ride regulation and tax as best you can manage, but there is no way I would start whining to this level just about paying X amount more tax. Worst case, you decide the return is no longer worth the investment and quietly shut it down - most businesses hit difficult times and struggle at some point, and many do not survive, such is life.

Dozens of paparazzi and hundreds of landlords wearing bright orange T-shirts will surely turn heads at the Property Investor Show at Excel on Saturday 8th October 2016.

Source

I think Busta has finally exhausted my stock of trite one-liners. The idea of a couple of dozen landlords in orange T-shirts constituting a "huge" publicity stunt so exciting that one ought to fly in from Malta, it's so 'disappointing second album' compared to the £1000 book.

Source

I think Busta has finally exhausted my stock of trite one-liners. The idea of a couple of dozen landlords in orange T-shirts constituting a "huge" publicity stunt so exciting that one ought to fly in from Malta, it's so 'disappointing second album' compared to the £1000 book.

From memory, the 'Orange Shirts' were the lead item on Newsnight on 22 July, before making the front pages of most of the next day's papers?

It clearly got into people's consciousness too, the watercooler in my office was also abuzz with tales of the long awaited dawn of the brave landlords' resistance movement.

"Not before time, good sirs" was the general consensus, as i recall.

From memory, the 'Orange Shirts' were the lead item on Newsnight on 22 July, before making the front pages of most of the next day's papers?

It clearly got into people's consciousness too, the watercooler in my office was also abuzz with tales of the long awaited dawn of the brave landlords' resistance movement.

"Not before time, good sirs" was the general consensus, as i recall.

Presumably the treasury, ukar, HMRC and their respective legal and financial representatives need to counter that with garish fluorescent Lycra cat suits. Otherwise how can property118 lose? Edited by Si1

"They're not as smart as they think they are, and self-preservation is their number one goal at all times - which doesn't make them very good influencers. The RLA, for example, just puts out an endless stream of press releases that are absolute nonsense, and I think people in government are starting to cotton on to it."

Housing policy expert, Liz Phelps quoted in The Rent Trap by Rosie Walker and Samir Jeraj

Maybe Mark and Ros do have what it takes to set up a landlord lobby group after all!

Edited by Bland Unsight

Guess who said the following, also from The Rent Trap by Rosie Walker and Samir Jeraj, in June last year. (Remember that's before Section 24 is announced in July 2015.)

"My worry is with the current level of buy-to-let mortgages, the growth of private renting and the lack of regulation of it, and the huge levels of profit that are going to be made in it, we're reaching a stage where there's a politically critical mass of financial interest in private renting."

Jeremy Corbyn

Is this for real? I love getting free t-shirts!

Source

I'll post more on this when i've got a bit more time but i've been tracking price changes and a ton of other property data matched to individual addresses in my local area for the last few months. I noticed this today:

When I model out the effects of property characteristics (floor area, bedrooms, area etc) on asking prices, the cohort of properties that are being marketed towards investors are massively underperforming the rest of the market (i'm categorising properties based on the presence of words or phrasing in the listing, sounds like a shitty method but it works pretty well).

This is such a big delta in a short period of time that it's almost certainly a real effect, although it'll be a while until I know the true magnitude of it. These are a model's best guesses from a pretty small dataset so take the numbers with a large pinch of salt but -2% down overall, and BTL houses -8% sounds about right for my area so I wouldn't be surprised if this is pretty close to accurate:

AlhyAXdl.png

I'll post more on this when i've got a bit more time but i've been tracking price changes and a ton of other property data matched to individual addresses in my local area for the last few months. I noticed this today:

Really interesting. Maybe once you have a bit more data start a new thread for your analysis - it would be a shame to see it lost in amongst all the buggering around and buffoonery on this thread. (Though I totally see that shitting bricks and dropping prices is in line with the kind of tactical nous that they've brought to their regrouping so far, thus putting your analysis bang on topic on this thread too.)

Seriously they are completely out mind. So deluded that Busta' is writing to Chancellor hoping for a optimistic response despite that he has taken a tax exile in Malta.

Seems Busta is having no luck.

Portal business - busted.

BTL - S24.

Tenner please - ignored.

Tax exile - new sneaky CGT to income tax.

Book - £1000 to £25.

Now he is into tourism.

https://www.property118.com/5-star-malta-from-199-for-a-week/87016/

But a few seem to come to terms. Like this one.

https://www.property118.com/capital-gains-on-btl-to-be-taxed-as-income/89928/comment-page-9/#comment-80472

When I model out the effects of property characteristics (floor area, bedrooms, area etc) on asking prices, the cohort of properties that are being marketed towards investors are massively underperforming the rest of the market (i'm categorising properties based on the presence of words or phrasing in the listing, sounds like a shitty method but it works pretty well).

This is such a big delta in a short period of time that it's almost certainly a real effect, although it'll be a while until I know the true magnitude of it. These are a model's best guesses from a pretty small dataset so take the numbers with a large pinch of salt but -2% down overall, and BTL houses -8% sounds about right for my area so I wouldn't be surprised if this is pretty close to accurate:

AlhyAXdl.png

I am guessing Shitty is also one of your filter words.

AlhyAXdl.png

Double post

Edited by Confusion of VIs

Source

This reminds me of the "ambush marketing" stunt at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa by the Dutch beer brand, Bavaria.

The genius of this was that they got into the ground (with tickets) wearing orange, for a match where the team they were "supporting" play in orange, and lots of other spectators were wearing orange shirts. No visible wording, logo or other branding. Only perhaps the small blue and white belts (Bavarian colours) gave away that they were not what they seemed.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/16/fifa-world-cup-ambush-marketing

Will the 118rs in their orange shirts look as glamorous as this? Will they all be arrested?

This reminds me of the "ambush marketing" stunt at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa by the Dutch beer brand, Bavaria.

The genius of this was that they got into the ground (with tickets) wearing orange, for a match where the team they were "supporting" play in orange, and lots of other spectators were wearing orange shirts. No visible wording, logo or other branding. Only perhaps the small blue and white belts (Bavarian colours) gave away that they were not what they seemed.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/16/fifa-world-cup-ambush-marketing

Will the 118rs in their orange shirts look as glamorous as this? Will they all be arrested?

"We view ambush marketing in a very serious light "

yet some people shoot people through bog doors and get off with it.

If there is any doubt the bankers and the corporations rule our lives then think again.

Could be worse - could be Gary handing out orange y-fronts. Mind you, I think they could improve their chances of some media coverage by rocking the expo in their underpants. A case of less is more.

Such a demonstration would probably lead to arrests, and PTSD for police involved.