House Price Crash Forum
overlander

Btl Scum Regrouping And On The Offensive. -- Merged

Writing scattergun ranty letters and threatening to evict people at random all because the lady loves DEBT too much.

Learn from this Roz, you complete buffoon.

S.E. Landlord says:

30/08/2016 at 19:28
With some landlords charging circa £750 per month for a room in a flat share in East London (with the lounge also converted to a bedroom) and over £2,500 per month for a three bed ex-local authority flat there is some justification for referring to it as an expensive private rental sector. I appreciate I am referring .to East London, but in much of the South East, rents – and purchase prices – are silly money. I don’t doubt other areas of the country are very different, but we all tend to look at the areas near where we are.
Whilst I can understand some may take Shelter’s comments as an attack on landlords I also think they can be taken as an attack on the government and that not enough social housing is being built.

Dr Rosalind Beck . says:

30/08/2016 at 19:30
Hi SE Landlord. I don’t agree it is reasonable to say ‘expensive’ private rents as that is generalising it to the whole country. Campbell Robb isn’t talking about some specific areas – eg certain postcodes in London or Edinburgh – he is referring to the UK as a whole, so the word is misleading and implicitly designed to denigrate landlords. In my area you can rent a two bed house for £300 a month, so he could equally talk about ‘cheap rents.’

S.E. Landlord says:

30/08/2016 at 19:44
Hi Roz
I think it is something that we will need to agree to disagree on – and I did say “some justification”. It is not just East London, much of the South East has got silly with prices. I really don’t how people afford rents near where I am – outside the M25 – where you are still looking at starting prices of £850 for a 1 bed flat and circa £1500 for a three bed house.
I appreciate that you say a two bed house is £300 per month in your area but I suspect much more of the Housing Benefit budget is being spent in the South East and expect calculations are being based on where the most money is spent.

Any chance of an essay from Bosher on the following subject, Is a landlord's sanity a function of their solvency?

More seriously - suggesting that private rents are expensive is "misleading and implicitly designed to denigrate landlords"? I'll let Ron Burgundy field that one.

giphy.gif

Ros: "I have come across the idea before that you are taxed even on no income. Eg, in Spain, if you have a holiday home which you never rent out, they still demand that you pay tax on an imputed income. " "I expect it of a country like Spain".

But this is bizarre. One of the few supporters in public life of the BTLers is Philip Booth, who is a "Professor" of Economics or somesuch at a fifth-rate "University" in SW London. He is famous proponent of the long-discredited idea of "imputed rent", which is to say that if you own an asset outright, bought with your own money (such as a house, or a car,...) you are receiving a "benefit" equal to the amount of rent you would have to pay to enjoy the use of that asset, if you did not own it. So you should pay tax on that imaginary benefit. Ros supports that idea when Philip Booth proposes it. But otherwise, it is the sort of thing you would expect in a country like Spain, and impossible in the UK.

Writing scattergun ranty letters and threatening to evict people at random all because the lady loves DEBT too much.

If rents are cheap round her way and she's charging below market rents, put the rent up should be a walk in the park. It's very good of these Poverty Later guys to have spent all these years housing HB recipients out of the goodness of their kindly hearts, but when the going gets tough, the tough jack the rents up, innit.

I bet highly paid young professionals will be queuing around the block to get into one of her cracking little properties.

I really cannot see what the fuss is about. Jack up the rents to cover Section 24 and back on easy street.

Edited by Bland Unsight

Ros again: "According to this, our business wouldn’t be a business; it would just be a personal hobby..."

Yes! Yes !! YES!! She is beginning to understand it, even though she wrote that more than a year ago, and has made no progress since. There is still hope.

But this is bizarre. One of the few supporters in public life of the BTLers is Philip Booth, who is a "Professor" of Economics or somesuch at a fifth-rate "University" in SW London. He is famous proponent of the long-discredited idea of "imputed rent", which is to say that if you own an asset outright, bought with your own money (such as a house, or a car,...) you are receiving a "benefit" equal to the amount of rent you would have to pay to enjoy the use of that asset, if you did not own it. So you should pay tax on that imaginary benefit. Ros supports that idea when Philip Booth proposes it. But otherwise, it is the sort of thing you would expect in a country like Spain, and impossible in the UK.

It's almost as if instead of cultivating a coherent position rooted in a nuanced appraisal of all of the relevant scholarship she's just latched on to some bits of second rate scholarship that suit a previously existing commitment to a particular view (and cobbled them together into a bunch of crap letters read only by HPC for amusement and fellow Poverty Later ne'er-do-wells to distract themselves from their imminent bankruptcy).

200.gif

What is that picture? Is it Gary D. climbing up to the light fitting trying to remove some soiled underpants which have spontaneously combusted?

It's actually from a Residential Landlords Association training video on the safe removal of pants from lights with an integral fan. The training materials then ask "What is this landlord doing wrong?"

If rents are cheap round her way and she's charging below market rents, put the rent up should be a walk in the park. It's very good of these Poverty Later guys to have spent all these years housing HB recipients out of the goodness of their kindly hearts, but when the going gets tough, the tough jack the rents up, innit.

I bet highly paid young professionals will be queuing around the block to get into one of her cracking little properties.

I really cannot see what the fuss is about. Jack up the rents to cover Section 24 and back on easy street.

Exactly. Just put the rents up and save on the stress (and the ink) ffs :lol:

There will always be an endless queue of hardworking young professionals/immigrants/students to take the place of the poor HB tenants who can't afford Roz's 35% YoY rent rises required to keep her spreadsheet in the black. She's even put it in a separate column with the angrily typed out heading of "TENNANT TAX!!"

Dumb as rocks.

What is that picture? Is it Gary D. climbing up to the light fitting trying to remove some soiled underpants which have spontaneously combusted?

The original video is worth sourcing, hilarious commentary leading up to and following the money shot in the gif. Its on youtube somewhere, think it was a cherry tomato on a string the guy is going for.

edit here it is :D

https://youtu.be/eVXKKaWJTls

Edited by thewig

It's actually from a Residential Landlords Association training video on the safe removal of pants from lights with an integral fan. The training materials then ask "What is this landlord doing wrong?"

:lol:

Check out this clown over at povertyl8r! Trying to make their tenant pay for the consequences of their own poor decisions. And LL's wonder why they are hated!

https://www.property118.com/management-fee-passed-onto-tenants/90009/

As an aside we bought the property without our solicitor ever pointing out our obligation to pay such a fee – and we inherited a debt of some thousands left by the previous owner which apparently according to the terms of the contract we are legally obliged to pay

Words fail me but if £12.50 a month is the difference between profit and loss they are utterly utterly screwed...

bought without a solicitor, talk about BTL brains

Save £500 find a £2500 or so surprise..... That was some saving....

If bought without a solicitor, then there is no mortgage

Well in their eagerness to buy a property they hopelessly overpaid.....

She's going to get the Taxpayers Alliance to help her crusade now.

What an irrepressible force this woman is. She wakes up, forgets that her previous letter writing campaigns have completely failed to achieve any of her aims, decides to take down a national charity before lunch, doesn't get a response to her open letter within the hour, decides to enlist the help of a national lobbying group.

What's that? Doctor Rosalind Beck has emailed? What, THE Doctor Rosalind Beck? From Wales? The one with all the sh*t houses and all the open letters? She wants to take down Shelter? LET'S DO THIS!!!