House Price Crash Forum

Question For The Ot Geriatrics - Arthritis

HOLA441
HOLA442

"Arthritis patients who drink alcohol tend to have less severe symptoms than those who don’t, a new study finds".

Enough said.

Thanks Doc! Really good advice that I will folllow today!

HOLA443

I plan on going to the doctor about it but obviously off topic can fix it for me first.

They might at this stage send you for an xray. That'd give them a baseline if there's currently no arthritis evident in your joints or indicate that there might be some now.

I've had periods of intense pains in wrists, thumbs, full hands over the years. Sometimes it's been things like cycling that has set it off, sometimes nothing obvious. I spent new years day at casualty once crying cos my thumbs felt like they were broken. I'd been sober the night before which the doctor didn't believe and I got sent away with not even a painkiller. Until you've had this extreme sudden pain in your joints you can not understand how much something can hurt.

There's a bit in one of Pink Floyd's songs about hands feeling like two balloons. Mine do feel as if they're on their way to being balloons today.

HOLA444

Dr John McDougall (a real doctor) has cured people of arthritis via a low fat vegan diet:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/hot-topics/medical-topics/arthritis/

The details of his diet are found for free on his site; he's not forcing you to buy any supplements or snake oil.

Best of luck.

That's what is described in HAM's link and is apparently the way Norway deals with the issue. Initially a strict vegan diet (4 months) and then the reintroduction of foods, staged to reveal any intolerances.

HOLA445

I had crippling arthritis in my legs and hands as a result of an episode of sarcoidosis a few years back. I initially dealt with it by taking ibuprofen and paracetamol in herculean quantities. The trouble with that is the ibuprofen will **** up your stomach in fairly short order.

Went to the doctor and he gave me a NSAID that was stronger than ibuprofen and actually worse for the stomach, but he gave me another drug as well that counteracted those effects. I think the end game for a lot of arthritis sufferers it taking that combination every day until they pop their cloggs.

One thing that seems to help is intermittent fasting, so that's worth trying if you haven't already had a go at it.

HOLA446

That's what is described in HAM's link and is apparently the way Norway deals with the issue. Initially a strict vegan diet (4 months) and then the reintroduction of foods, staged to reveal any intolerances.

At some point you've got to wonder what's worse the arthritis or the diet.

Are you sure your thumb isn't an attack of gout ? Are you the guy who is celebrated for his massive lager and pie consumption ?

HOLA447

I had crippling arthritis in my legs and hands as a result of an episode of sarcoidosis a few years back. I initially dealt with it by taking ibuprofen and paracetamol in herculean quantities. The trouble with that is the ibuprofen will **** up your stomach in fairly short order.

Went to the doctor and he gave me a NSAID that was stronger than ibuprofen and actually worse for the stomach, but he gave me another drug as well that counteracted those effects. I think the end game for a lot of arthritis sufferers it taking that combination every day until they pop their cloggs.

One thing that seems to help is intermittent fasting, so that's worth trying if you haven't already had a go at it.

I'm sorry to hear you have had an ailment I've never heard of. Shit, I almost did a medical degree! :unsure:

HOLA448

To think if you had arthritis in your thumb, about half of your body would be incapacitated.

You think I'm the Cockney "Polo Eye" of the Mighty Boosh?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

It's fairly rare. I think I only got tested for it because my GP had been watching House :)

I'd be fugging rubbish at medicine. Do look after yourself!

HOLA4411

Sorry to harp on about animals, but when our old dog had arthritis the vet gave her shots of New Zealand green lipped mussel extract, and she had the capsules as well - from a health food shop. The vet said they didn't really know how or why it worked, but since it often seemed to it was worth trying. And she did get a lot better. She was also on a daily mini aspirin, so whether it was one or both of those I don't know.

Mr B has had a few twinges and has been taking the green lipped mussel capsules for a while now.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Probably an injury not arthritis. I used to think I would have dodgy knees by now because I used to feel them in my late twenties, but more than likely they were sporting injuries from tennis and football. My only ailment appears to be a complete failure to pass any of these flexibility tests set by HPCers like touching your toes with straight legs and getting off the floor without using hands.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I have a bit of a dodgy thumb and going by family traits, arthritis could be something that gets me in the years to come.

How do you deal with your symptoms and help alleviate the affliction?

Well that's a co-incidence. I've had a dodgy thumb for a couple of weeks now, it would get a bit better so I would do something like mow the lawn and it would be back again, to the extent that the past couple of days it was completely locked up. Having done some internet searches I've concluded that I have trigger finger (even though it's my thumb). Spoke to my Doc on the phone yesterday morning, described the symptoms and she referred me to another partner who does steroid injections.

To be honest I thought it was arthritis at first as well (it may be, I guess, but hoping it's just an injury)

Horrible on first waking up because you literally have to bend the joints and crack them to get the thing moving again. Darned painful.

Have been careful and rested it the last few days literally doing nothing but very light use and it feels a bit better today.

Maybe you have something similar.

http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/guide/trigger-finger

HOLA4417

Wow so mainstream medicine in Norway actually uses that approach? Excellent.

Will try to find some 'success story' videos from mcdougalls site - I remember one woman in particular who was crippled with arthritis and got complete relief.

HOLA4418

I have a bit of a dodgy thumb and going by family traits, arthritis could be something that gets me in the years to come.

How do you deal with your symptoms and help alleviate the affliction?

Cod liver oil.....kneed dough but avoid eating too much of it. ;)

NB Google......carpal tunnel symptoms.

Archived