House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Question For The Ot Geriatrics - Arthritis

I have a bit of a dodgy thumb and going by family traits, arthritis could be something that gets me in the years to come.

How do you deal with your symptoms and help alleviate the affliction?

I`ve no idea. Besides, I`m far too young. (55)

I know a fat person of 30 who has it though.

My wife is training to be a nurse, could ask her I suppose...

I plan on going to the doctor about it but obviously off topic can fix it for me first.

.....yes well, I asked the wife and she said...`I don`t know` which means "I`m too busy playing with one of those I phone things to care".

Sorry about that.

I guess it comes down to weight though...

.....yes well, I asked the wife and she said...`I don`t know` which means "I`m too busy playing with one of those I phone things to care".

Sorry about that.

I guess it comes down to weight though...

A fat thumb?

Increase fish oils.

Vitamin D

Magnesium

Potassium

Maganese

Balance your Calcium with the above.

Give up wheat.

This could be the straw that breaks the contrarian's back and start me on vit D.

Well, okay. This is fairly easy as an intro....

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/01/joint-pain-from-the-gut/383772/

Couple of easy to read books out this year...The Diet Myth and The Brain Maker http://www.drperlmutter.com/about/brain-maker-by-david-perlmutter-md/

On the other hand....my Mum started eating musli and proper Greek yoghurt and fruit and cut out red meat to control her arthritis...I don't know what she knew or how she found out apart from trial and error because she started that literally decades ago and controlled the arthritis in her hands that way. These books amazingly reinforce that approach.

EDIT: Funnily enough, excised from the above article:

thanks, I was still looking up microbiome but I thought that social mobility thing was great and worth mentioning.

I have a bit of a dodgy thumb and going by family traits, arthritis could be something that gets me in the years to come.

How do you deal with your symptoms and help alleviate the affliction?

I haven't googled it or anything, but lately I've heard that turmeric in some form can work wonders. I've even heard of it working magic on someone's poor old retired elderly horse - this is someone I know, not a wild tale from the Internet.

Worth a Google, anyway.

Turmeric has a mild anti-inflammatory effect so easy to see why it might help with arthritis.

Damp weather tends to aggravate it, while hot dry weather is better. Hence the accumulation of older people in the South West.

Turmeric has a mild anti-inflammatory effect so easy to see why it might help with arthritis.

Damp weather tends to aggravate it, while hot dry weather is better. Hence the accumulation of older people in the South West.

The southwest is damp. Perhaps you meant Eastbourne (average age 86)?

The southwest is damp. Perhaps you meant Eastbourne (average age 86)?

I think the average age in Gurt Clodney is about 100. I have this wonderful business idea, about putting small block V8s into electric wheelchairs.

Exercise.

I haven't checked - but I will go on the fact I believe exercise helps with pretty much any ailment known to man. So must help with this too.

I am sure someone will point out if this ain't true !!

Have you tried boring strangers to death with it in the queue at the checkout, sitting next to you on public transport, in the pub etc?

I had it in the knees when I was 30. Doctor said I would be crippled in 10 years. No cure.

Then I cut down on bread and increased exercise, and ate much more protein, specially eggs.

Dr John McDougall (a real doctor) has cured people of arthritis via a low fat vegan diet:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/hot-topics/medical-topics/arthritis/

The details of his diet are found for free on his site; he's not forcing you to buy any supplements or snake oil.

Best of luck.