House Price Crash Forum

Wet Shaving - Not Had This Discussion For A While

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

I've used double edged blades for some years trying all sorts of soaps but settling on with prosaro and a badger brush, feathers or gillette sharp edge in a muhel r89h. However I was given a gillete 5 blade fusion to try and its simply the best shave i've ever had. Can't understand how they justify the price but one pass and your done with a very close shave. Impressive.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Shaving gel/cream/soap is a rip-off, pure marketing. All soap will do the same trick, it's just a lubricant.

I'm a bit of a cheapskate on shaving a bar of soap and the cheapest set of disposables in the shop, usually about tuppence each.

HOLA444

Are we not talking about bum ointment any more? :wacko:

All the time you have talked about shaving, you must have beards bigger than Saruman. :unsure:

HOLA445

I now use a Parker 99R safety razor, Derby blades and Arko soap.

£18 for razor, 100 blades for £7.20 and 12 sticks of soap for about a tenner.

I get the best shaves ever, and ever so cheap.

That's more or less what my children got me for Father's day at my suggestion. I was influenced by recent threads and links from this forum.

I still get the odd nick when I use a new blade, I get a closer and smoother shave compared to the multi-blade razor I used to use. It takes me longer to shave now, it's the messing around making the foam. The days i go without shaving are getting more frequent, because its not as quick and convenient and too much faddle.

I'll persevere though

HOLA446

Are we not talking about bum ointment any more? :wacko:

But it was fun while it lasted

Frugalistas who don't have any chrome polish, with a brand name that sounds vaguely like piles cream, to hand have the option of smearing a little Lidl own-brand toothpaste on a bit of cardboard and stropping their 'disposables', ha!, on that.

I suppose you could get even cheaper by mixing an abrasive compound out of ear wax and house dust but opportunity costs start to rear their ugly head (edit: no more free lip balm).

HOLA447

That's more or less what my children got me for Father's day at my suggestion. I was influenced by recent threads and links from this forum.

I still get the odd nick when I use a new blade, I get a closer and smoother shave compared to the multi-blade razor I used to use. It takes me longer to shave now, it's the messing around making the foam. The days i go without shaving are getting more frequent, because its not as quick and convenient and too much faddle.

I'll persevere though

I found myself saving time and grief switching to safety razors as I no longer have to navigate and patch up the rashes, pimples and bumps multiblade shaving graced me with. Others' mileage will definitely vary.

As many have already mentioned, the brush/foam bit isn't mandatory with a safety razor. So you could save a little time on a weekday there. Re. the nicks and stuff, I started with Derbys and whilst some people get along with them fine I did have trouble with them and settled on Astra Platinums instead. Not as sharp as Feathers (too sharp for me), but good consistency and plenty sharp enough to do the job. Different blade brands really make a difference so it's worth trying a few out IME.

HOLA448

But it was fun while it lasted

Frugalistas who don't have any chrome polish, with a brand name that sounds vaguely like piles cream, to hand have the option of smearing a little Lidl own-brand toothpaste on a bit of cardboard and stropping their 'disposables', ha!, on that.

I suppose you get even cheaper by mixing an abrasive compound out of ear wax and house dust but opportunity costs start to rear their ugly head.

A strip of denim or just the palm of one's hand works quite well (for stropping a razor, I mean).

You can also strop a double edged blade by rubbing it in the inside of a glass, supposedly, though I've tried this and it didn't do much good. Glass hones used to be sold in the old days for this purpose, but there's a theory that modern blades are made of some sort of different composition that doesn't hone well.

I find Aqueous Cream is good for shaving with; afterwards you can just rub it into your face so it doubles as an aftershave balm. A big tub costs about £3 in Superdrug and lasts about six months.

I find there's a different technique to using double-edged blades. Cartridge blades are designed for long sweeps (like they show in TV adverts) but DE blades don't work well this way. You have to use lots of small swipes, about 1" long, and use the weight of the razor's head to give pressure. It's a bit hard to explain but there are lots of slightly odd Youtube videos of men in bathrooms showing you how.

HOLA449

I never used to shave more than twice a week so I thought a beard would be the easier option. I love the beard and so does my wife!

Before that, I was well into my DE razors and I've got 4 that I would rotate. The year leading up to the beard I fell into mainly using the Muhle R41 which was great with longer wiry stubble. Feather blades and Palmolive shave stick with an Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush.

Other razors are Merkur 34C, Gillette Super-Speed and a Feather Popular. Also got a Feather Portable I think. Even though I'm not currently shaving I'm still on the look out for a Schick Krona...

HOLA4410

What about shaving chests, underarms and ****? Some of the odder ones on here must have some rib-tickling anecdotes.

Me, I use a straight razor, it's lovely for the face but I'm not man enough to wield it "elsewhere".

a set of electric barbers clippers for the scrote.

it's like a male vibrator!

HOLA4411

a set of electric barbers clippers for the scrote.

it's like a male vibrator!

Filth! See me after assembly! :blink::D

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I can't shave in the shower, as I wear glasses and need to see properly.

Last time i tried, I shaved the wrong person.

Filth! See me after assembly! :blink:

HOLA4414

I see mention of "every day" and "twice a week". Assuming we're still talking about shaving, that's quite a range. There's precious little for me to shave a day after, so "twice a week" is about how often I shave and I don't think that I end up looking too stubbly. Wonder if it's growth rate or hair colour?

HOLA4415

I'am just about to shave my head with a mach 3 have it down to a fine art,

the hair needs to be buzzed short with clippers to a grade 1 max if its long,

then lather up with shaving gel and first pass all over going with the direction

of hair growth then back over going against the direction of growth.

Rinse razor after every pass. Head feels super smooth like your face does after a wet shave.

For the face i use a gillette fusion 5 blade withshaving gel.

The 5 bladed fusion is too brutal for the head a mach 3 (3 blade) is perfect.

g

HOLA4416

So 5 pages in we have established that most men Wet Shave...

Or that HPCers are scarily similar...

Or very impressionable :unsure:

P

Which was the point of my thread. I thought this was the case but was told that I was wrong and most men used an electric shaver.

So.... I was right :)

HOLA4417

electric razors have been flogged to death over the years with various gimmicks like lubrication gel cartridges / 3 head rotary etc

All they really do is irritate your face and leave you with a hot itchy feeling, i once saw a business type geezer in a suit in the ticket office of bristol coach station shaving with a portable electric shaver couldn't help but think he looked a prize pr*ck lol

HOLA4418

Electric shavers shatter your hairs as well. ..looks none too healthy under a microscope...dangers of infection, ingrowing hairs etc

Skin is loads healthier since I gave up trying to 'save time' in the morning

P

I think electric shavers are very much a 1970s gimmick, marketed to a generation of men who were trying to be completely different to their fathers in their grooming habits. I associate them with things like blow dried, bouffant hairdos covered in hairspray, Brut aftershave, and a general 'George Best' vibe. It's rather reassuring that many men are returning to the razors and soap of their grandfather's day.

HOLA4419

I think electric shavers are very much a 1970s gimmick, marketed to a generation of men who were trying to be completely different to their fathers in their grooming habits. I associate them with things like blow dried, bouffant hairdos covered in hairspray, Brut aftershave, and a general 'George Best' vibe. It's rather reassuring that many men are returning to the razors and soap of their grandfather's day.

I associate them with "Up to 90% off selected electrical goods in the xxxx sale!!!", which are 90% off electric shavers and 5% (if you're lucky) off anything worthwhile.

Archived