House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Still Crazy After All These Years

You've got the wrong mindset.

Any bits left over were superfluous

Therefore you have IMPROVED the design

Expecting to remember, or it to be self evident, how and where all the bits go, when you have to put back together what you are taking apart

I find that the advent of digital cameras has helped quite a lot with that particular problem.

Apart from the time I tried to fix a digital camera ...

Manuals are for pussies.

End of...

XYY

I'm reading one on the bog now!

I'm reading one on the bog now!

I'm assuming that all other routes have been exhausted, and that hitting it with a hammer didn't work - then clearly sitting down and actually reading the manual is the last resort of any self-respecting, and frankly desperate, techie blurk..?

If you can answer "Yes" to all of those questions then you are absolved Pinny.

Otherwise, shame on you...!

;)

XYY

I've often done jobs then perused the same job later in a Haynes manual and thought if you didn't know how to do that job, in the first place, then the Haynes manual would have been fook all help.

What I'd really like is a manual that just listed any points that are counterintuitive to how the job would normally be done.

The manuals always says remove bolt and discard, torque new bolt to 90nm then another 45 degrees then another 25 degress but I bet a large majority of garages, unless it's engine head bolts are just reusing the same bolts and buzzing them up tight.

You need a manual for a pussy????

I'm afraid many blokes do. Some women do aswell.

I find that the advent of digital cameras has helped quite a lot with that particular problem.

Apart from the time I tried to fix a digital camera ...

You don't have a camera phone then?

There is no need to remember where bits go when you take it apart..... You will have owned it for so many decades you'll be able to take it apart and rebuild it blindfolded!

FYI, the reason we used to be able to do that? Because things were so bloody unreliable in the good old days, we were taking them apart every month or two!