House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tcrabb

Landlord Selling Up - Need To Move Out!

Landlord deciding to sell the 2up-2down terrraced house I have rented for many years.

I anticipate he will serve the required 2 month notice period next week (he gave me a last few weeks as additional time to get organised).

This place is first place that I have rented that has not had either electric thrown in with rent or pre-paid meter. Ditto for council tax.

What is correct way to terminate all the utilities including council tax so that I can prove to DPS all is paid up to final day of tenancy?

Also, if I decide to give notice prior to him giving me notice how would any partial months rent due be calculated i.e. if moving out on a different day of month than when tennancy began. Can I just pay by the week if needed for the last bit or would I need to may for a full extra month if any days of notice period fall within that additional month?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

AFAIK, when your issued the section 21, you can, on any day in the following elapsed month, then give one months "counter" notice which is effective immediately i.e. from that point on your only liable for one elapsed months rent from the day you give counter notice.

Edited by goldbug9999

I don't think you can move out mid tenancy period and I don't think utilities or council tax affect dps ie the contract is with you. However you need to note your final meter reading to ensure a correct final bill.

Easy.

Take a pic of the final meter reading - phone the provider up the day before you move and go through their movers process - or do it online.

With council tax - they have a standard movers process too - just tell them the dates and new address and let them sort it out.

I would also take a picture of your Meter reading with a date stamp or email it to yourself on the day you leave.

As part of the check out you can do a final meter reading and get it co-signed by the landlord. Then give those numbers to your utility provider.

As part of the check out you can do a final meter reading and get it co-signed by the landlord. Then give those numbers to your utility provider.

I always took photos of electric/other meters on the day of moving out. Saved a big rumpus in one case where the new tenants claimed a much higher number when they moved in.

1 - you don't HAVE to pay your last month rent. What is he going to do if you don't, serve you notice to quit?

2 - you don't HAVE to use the dispute resolution service if he witholds deposit, you can take him to the small claims court instead

3 - you don't HAVE to let him or his agent or anyone else in to either value, appraise, view, inspect, survey the house. It's your home and you have a right to peaceful enjoyment of your home. Again, what is he going to do, serve you notice if you don't let his agent in?

The only way landlords will stop treating tenants like dirt is when tenants start upholding their rights.

He can't withold the deposit because he hasn't been holding it, it should be with a deposit protection scheme (unless it pre-dates that). Going to the small claims court without attempting to resolve anything via the deposit protection resolution process probably won't make you look very good in their eyes, and I don't think that witholding the final months' rent will now either.

He can't withold the deposit because he hasn't been holding it, it should be with a deposit protection scheme (unless it pre-dates that). Going to the small claims court without attempting to resolve anything via the deposit protection resolution process probably won't make you look very good in their eyes, and I don't think that witholding the final months' rent will now either.

Of course, now would be the time to check he has actually put your deposit in a scheme.

Going to the small claims court without attempting to resolve anything via the deposit protection resolution process probably won't make you look very good in their eyes, and I don't think that witholding the final months' rent will now either.

There seem to be a lot of landlords on this board.

What you say is simply untrue. No-one has an obligation to use the dispute resolution service and are perfectly within your rights to do so, and will not prejudice any outcome; the court will base its judgement on facts presented to it, nothing else. In fact you are more likely to get a positive outcome from a court as the court is much more transparent in its way of operating. Remember you can't appeal the dispute resolution service. That is one good ground not to use them.

If you withold your last month's rent you will have no need to go to court as you will have your money. End of.

Huh? I'm certainly not a landlord.

Perhaps I've got it wrong but what you're saying sounds rather contrary to what I thought the necessary use of the deposit protection schemes were all about.

"necessary use of the deposit protection schemes" - necessary only on the part of the landlord. Not necessary for the tenant to agree to the arbitration scheme - especially given the way it is set up, still in favour of landlords (the whole point was to protect the deposit, as it was supposed to be kept by an independent third party; his all went to **** as soon as they introduced the "insurance" type schemes, which meant many landlords still kept the deposit.)