House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

geezer466

25 Great Reasons To Love Scotland..

That sign is fugging magic!

I lived in Scotland for a few years. I absolutely loved it. The people have a kindness you don't get within the M25.

Used to like Scotland quite a lot but somehow the baron wastelands of Ranoch Moor and the Western Isles leaves me a bit depressed these days. Even Edinburgh has the same effect, a bit granite and windswept and a decided lack of trees.

Used to like Scotland quite a lot but somehow the baron wastelands of Ranoch Moor and the Western Isles leaves me a bit depressed these days. Even Edinburgh has the same effect, a bit granite and windswept and a decided lack of trees.

Those places are some of the few things that uplift me.

A good area of quiet forest does too.

I lived in Scotland for a few years. I absolutely loved it. The people have a kindness you don't get within the M25.

I love it too. I feel I really belong there, which I do. I don't get that feeling in most of England. I'm thinking of moving to the Moray Firth coast.

Truly the greatest nation on Earth!

+1. Nowhere else on earth like Scotland. I ask myself. Why I'm living in England? Then I reply "because the English need us Scots to run it for them"!!! ?

Amusing. I wonder how many are real though.

Actually - I have one myself I took a pic of just last week walking past. Only in Jockland. :D:lol:

I love it too. I feel I really belong there, which I do. I don't get that feeling in most of England. I'm thinking of moving to the Moray Firth coast.

There are bits of England where it remains but all the stuff I rail about is the sort of thing that's killed it off.

I think a sense of belonging is important and you get used to what you get used to. Anything else can feel wrong. Speaking the dialect helps too and doesn't mark you out.

I could probably be considered local from the Lincolnshire coast right across to the Welsh borders and Whitchurch with my East Midlands dialect...curiously there are places closer where I wouldn't, like crossing the Chase from Stafford to the Black country and suddenly it's a foreign language.

Sure you don`t mean Aberdeen? Although last time I looked there were quite a lot of trees in Aberdeen. Edinburgh has to be one of the most visually uplifting places going, but people tend to be a bit uptight, even more so than London IMO. Glasgow has loads of trees and parks, most green space in Europe or something, Dear Green Place and all that?

Sure you don`t mean Aberdeen? Although last time I looked there were quite a lot of trees in Aberdeen. Edinburgh has to be one of the most visually uplifting places going, but people tend to be a bit uptight, even more so than London IMO. Glasgow has loads of trees and parks, most green space in Europe or something, Dear Green Place and all that?

Tbf i haven't done a lot of Edinburgh, getting off at Waverley and doing the rounds around the Scot Memorial and St Andrews Square etc. Been a few times and it just leaves me a bit sunk, don't know why.

Was a big fan of Scotland, stayed at Arisaig, Fort William, Cloch Point, Loch Lomond, Inverness, Lochawe, Skye, Bridge of Orchy, Morar, Arran, even the Ranoch Moor hotel to name a few. Isolated places used to do it for me, but we change.

I think a sense of belonging is important and you get used to what you get used to. Anything else can feel wrong. Speaking the dialect helps too and doesn't mark you out.

I could probably be considered local from the Lincolnshire coast right across to the Welsh borders and Whitchurch with my East Midlands dialect...curiously there are places closer where I wouldn't, like crossing the Chase from Stafford to the Black country and suddenly it's a foreign language.

I'm often told "you haven't lost your accent" when I tell people I've been here for eleventy-six years. I always reply: "why would I want an English accent?" Well, why would I? :rolleyes:

For some reason, I feel less like I belong here with every year that passes.

I'm often told "you haven't lost your accent" when I tell people I've been here for eleventy-six years. I always reply: "why would I want an English accent?" Well, why would I? :rolleyes:

For some reason, I feel less like I belong here with every year that passes.

You are always welcome back!

The best thing about Scotland is that they have, or had lots of Labour MPs.

Once they go independent, Labour is over for the rest of the UK

The best thing about Scotland is that they have, or had lots of Labour MPs.

Once they go independent, Labour is over for the rest of the UK

That is already the case is it not. Can you see Labour winning the next general election?

Tbf i haven't done a lot of Edinburgh, getting off at Waverley and doing the rounds around the Scot Memorial and St Andrews Square etc. Been a few times and it just leaves me a bit sunk, don't know why.

Was it a nice day ?

The average guard at a Soviet era gulag had more kindness that you'll find within the M25...

The average guard at a Soviet era gulag had more kindness that you'll find within the M25...

Must be what's best for the country, since everyone seems hell-bent on dragging the rest into it, or making it more like it, or linking to it as fast as possible.

Scotland, you really should've voted for independence. I still think most of the actual reasons given for it were a load of codswallop but there are much better ones... Mind you Salmond wanted more people in Scotland IIRC, so part of the deal was making it more like England.

Everywhere has good and bad points, I missed Glasgow when I stayed in Brisbane for 2 years and am happy to now be back, but the weather is absolutely dismal.

A couple of holidays in the sun per year is essential, even if just to the south of england. Assuming the next 25 years goes Ok, I'll be hoping to spend 3-4 months somewhere warm and sunny per year on retirement.

You are always welcome back!

I know. I've just spent time doing a Royal Progress. Stayed with rellies from Paisley to Portknockie. Felt very welcome and fitted right in. My blood pressure went down too. Being an alien in England obviously doesn't suit me ?