House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pipllman

Who Is York's Mystery Cyclist?

Cal you get a custodial sentence for cycling on the pavement? Or for refusing to give police your name? If not, just wait outside court and ask him.

No problem with bikes on pavements - as long as the speed is similar to walking fast. No difference. I do hate these ******* who fly along like nobody else is there. Very selfish.

Every time we go to the York Press there's another body found in the river....

I reckon there must be beautiful Sirens in the Foss who lure young these young folk to their deaths.

I reckon there must be beautiful Sirens in the Foss who lure young these young folk to their deaths.

Or maybe a Sam Smiths pub, right by the river, with knee high railings.

No problem with bikes on pavements - as long as the speed is similar to walking fast. No difference. I do hate these ******* who fly along like nobody else is there. Very selfish.

+1. You can push a bike on the pavement, so why not be able to ride it? Consideration to pedestrians is the criterion.

I got shouted at by some lairy idiot walking 3 dogs off the lead on a local shared cycle path.

I was on my £1000 road bike full kit and everthing he seemed to take umbridge that i had the temerity to use a designated route for cyclists in fact it's part of National cycle route 2 even the huge round blue signs with the big picture of a Bicycle didn't disuade him.

Apparently i was riding too fast, bit funny that as there is no speed limit (as long as your under 30mph anyway)

Some people just hate cyclists

What he actually wanted was to let his dogs run riot all over the shared cycle route.

I was once told off by the filth for cycling on the pavement. I rode up a ramp to a cycle parking area. Apparently I should have dismounted, and walked the 5 metres to the cycle parking. While I thought the officer was being an utter ass, I listened politely and he neither took my details or gave me a fine. Other officers on the very same stretch have explicitly said they'd rather cyclists were safe and riding on the pavement rather than having to attend one that had been killed by a lorry.

The law seems to be very inconsistently applied as far as I can see. Locally, the police do not give a damn providing you are slow down for pedestrians or as you are cycling past them. In other parts of the country, there appears to be zero tolerance. Kids under a certain age are often given a free pass, where unconfident adult cyclists are not.

If I were to take a reasonable approach, I'd say you may cycle on pavements providing you give way to pedestrians and cycle at no more than 10 mph. If the pavement is crowded, then either dismount or cycle on the road.

Or maybe a Sam Smiths pub, right by the river, with knee high railings.

There's that too, of course.

(I remember buying pints of good ale and stout for little over £1, not too many years ago... Why can't every city have a Sam Smiths pub or two?!)

My mate was shouted at for cycling on the pavement by one of the 'hobby bobbys' as he calls them.

He took great pleasure in shouting back the next week when he saw the same bloke cycling on the pavement.

There are pavements round here that are shared with cyclists.
They're not bad at the moment as someone reported the overgrowing hedge and it's been cut back now, but if not it's a bit of a squeeze/

You can get into some real confrontation with people who think they can walk in a cycle lane or force you off a shared path onto the grass or out into the road.

They have the upper hand with the law if you ride into them as they are pedestrians but if you just stop in the centre of the path then that takes away their upper hand, so we go straight into the snidey comment territory don't we.

A shared path is exactly that, fair enough if someone's cycling on a bona fide pedestrian pavement but you will be suprised how many are actually designated as shared pathways now.

The round blue sign with bicycle at the top and pedestrian below denotes a shared pavement they can run on for miles through cities.

Guest eight

They should have seperate cycle paths for the two wheeled menances. Preferably ones that go through the Gaza Strip.

I came across a the very fresh aftermath of a car/bike collision one day last week. Despite my usually balanced nature(!) I saw the way the cyclist was dressed - like an escapee from the Tour de France - and just assumed that he was the one who had done something stupidly aggressive.

I was once told off by the filth for cycling on the pavement. I rode up a ramp to a cycle parking area. Apparently I should have dismounted, and walked the 5 metres to the cycle parking. While I thought the officer was being an utter ass, I listened politely and he neither took my details or gave me a fine. Other officers on the very same stretch have explicitly said they'd rather cyclists were safe and riding on the pavement rather than having to attend one that had been killed by a lorry.

The law seems to be very inconsistently applied as far as I can see. Locally, the police do not give a damn providing you are slow down for pedestrians or as you are cycling past them. In other parts of the country, there appears to be zero tolerance. Kids under a certain age are often given a free pass, where unconfident adult cyclists are not.

If I were to take a reasonable approach, I'd say you may cycle on pavements providing you give way to pedestrians and cycle at no more than 10 mph. If the pavement is crowded, then either dismount or cycle on the road.

I'm not sure even giving way to pedestrians would be safe, speaking as a stroke survivor who is a bit wobbly on her pins. I could wobble in front of an unheard bike approaching from behind and be mown down.

You can get into some real confrontation with people who think they can walk in a cycle lane or force you off a shared path onto the grass or out into the road.

They have the upper hand with the law if you ride into them as they are pedestrians but if you just stop in the centre of the path then that takes away their upper hand, so we go straight into the snidey comment territory don't we.

It's no good being a pedestrian with the upper hand when you're in hospital with a fractured pelvis that might result in your death.

I'm not sure even giving way to pedestrians would be safe, speaking as a stroke survivor who is a bit wobbly on her pins. I could wobble in front of an unheard bike approaching from behind and be mown down.

Yes, understandable. I ride slowly and defensively when pedestrians are about as often times they simply don't hear or register you. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same is true of other cyclists. They really have no idea how scary and disorientating it can be to have someone whiz past you at 20+mph near silently.

They really have no idea how scary and disorientating it can be to have someone whiz past you at 20+mph near silently.

If your dressed in full TDF regalia they usually spin to look behind thinking the rest of the pack is follwing.

About time people are stopped and fined for cycling on the pavement.

The laws generally exist but the police can't be bothered. When a blind person or very young kid is badly injured by cyclists in a pedestrian area or on a footpath the police may do something .... but probably not as cyclists are saving the planet.

I'm more bothered by people who drive on pavements in order to park half-on half-off and block the pavements, police do even less about that than they do about cyclists. So long as the cyclist isn't going much above walking pace I don't care - if they ring their bell or tell me to get out of the way they'll get some verbal.

Wonder how many drivers who go on about cyclists breaking the law do "little things" like jumping red lights (amber actually means stop), breaking the speed limit, not indicating, driving over a zebra crossing whilst someone is still crossing etc., and if stopped by the police would whine like a bitch about police catching real criminals?

Oh and I'm not a cyclist, haven't been on a bike for I dunno how many years, and I'm not a perfect driver either but if I was caught I'd just say it's a fair cop.

If moving at walking speed - what's the difference between that and someone simply bumping into you ?

Quite a few places in the world - Japan being a good example - allow cyclists to use pavements and it doesn't seem to cause a problem. Hats off to this guy for refusing to give his name to the rozzers (fake and real), there's way too much 'show us your papers' type crap in the country.