House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Beans

The Guardian - Tory Btl Love-In

Good article.

"investors who rely on a typical buy-to-let mortgage to finance a purchase will see their returns shrivel dramatically. Annual returns could be slashed by around two-thirds, leaving investors with yields of as little as 0.6% a year on their properties. If and when interest rates rise, it could be game over for the amateur investor."

I'm sure yields will look fine once they adjust for the new value of their portfolio :)

Feb 2015

large-740596-image.jpg

Feb 2015

large-740596-image.jpg

Goes to show how the mood about BTL changed in around half a year.

"Savvy" BTLers are probably planning their exit strategy, the shoe shine boys are trying to figure out how to get a slice of the pie. Hmm, I remember people talking about "missing the boat", little do some of them know it's the Titanic and that they never make it to the lifeboats.

My memories of the stock market crash of the 80s aren't great but a lot of amateurs got their fingers burnt, how long before BTL mortgage and EA ads have to carry a "the price of your house can go down as well as up" warning?

Feb 2015

large-740596-image.jpg

Like most newspapers the Grauniad allows advertisers to brand their adverts with the paper's name. You will note that it says "L&C have been providing the Guardian Mortgage for more than 10 years..." London & County also run the Telegraph Mortgage Service http://mortgages.telegraph.co.uk/thirdpartysites/home/?icid=telegraph and the Independent's mortgage advice service http://lcplc.co.uk/thirdpartysites/home/?icid=independent

Stephen Ludlow, chairman of big letting agent Ludlow Thompson, is – like many in the industry – bewildered by George Osborne’s cuts to tax relief. “Many investors voted against Labour in the election because of their attitude towards buy-to-let. They will not have expected such a move from the Conservatives,” he said after the budget speech.

I dealt with Ludlow Thompson once, it was an utterly demeaning experience. All political considerations aside, I would be in favour of just about any law that Stephen Ludlow was against.

Like most newspapers the Grauniad allows advertisers to brand their adverts with the paper's name. You will note that it says "L&C have been providing the Guardian Mortgage for more than 10 years..."

Yes fair enough, but I should imagine some fee or commission to the Guardian and Independent is involved.

When this column was the first to highlight the perils of buy-to-let – both social and economic – Gordon Brown was chancellor. When we first revealed the vast tax reliefs paid to landlords, Alistair Darling was about to assume the role. Why did it take a Tory chancellor – much to the shock of his voters – to take the first steps to clamp down on the excessive tax privileges enjoyed by landlords?

Just pointing out that BTL advertising must achieve conversions to the Guardian readership, over all the years, else L&C unlikely to advertise it.

Perhaps the mortgage-brokers in the future, can reposition with mortgage-deal advertisements focused on FTBs or upsizers, in a HPC.