House Price Crash Forum

"sittin' In A Park In Paris France..."

JoeDavola

HOLA441

"...readin' the news and it's all bad..." *

I always do this - I'm off to Paris for a week next week, so feel free to post up any recommendations of stuff to do.

Been there once before briefly, so done the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower already. I remember thinking the area around Notre Damme cathedral was pretty cool so gonna check it out again. Wouldn't be averse to taking a train journey out of Paris if there was anything else worth seeing a bit further afield.

All reccomendations welcome.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
I remember thinking the area around Notre Damme cathedral was pretty cool so gonna check it out again

Is that in the Jean-Claude Van Damme district by any chance? :-)

Seriously I would suggest l'église Sainte-Chapelle, it is the high point of gothic architecture.

Apart from that, usual crap of monuments, parks, cafés etc. Why not a boat trip on the Seine or canal St Martin? Visit the Buttes Chaumont? The flea market of St Ouen? You could visit some of the dodgy banlieues?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Btw, do you want us to contact the BBC, Sky News and the Police to let them know that you have left the country?

Yes - the ladies of POF need to know there's no point in logging on that week.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

In no particular order:

• Skip the Champs Elysées. Noisy, tacky, and not that safe at night.
  • The Orsay museum - if you're into impressionist paintings, it's like Mecca.
  • If you've got a car, a drive around the Bois de Boulogne at night can be a good laugh - it's full of street prostitutes and very busy. Admire the Brazilians and try to work out their gender :) but for God's sake don't stop your car, and do not go there on foot, or alone.
  • The Tour Montparnasse is gaudy, and looks tired on the inside. But the view from the top is great, and you don't have the crazy crowds (or queues) of the Eiffel Tower, so you can take your time to enjoy the view.
  • Trocadero - best view of the Eiffel tower.
  • The business district of La Défense can be interesting for its modernist architecture, but avoid the rush-hour crush - and it's dead in the evening.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Yes - the ladies of POF need to know there's no point in logging on that week.

Indeed. I've heard quite a few of them are shitting themselves at very thought of a week of no Joe-love...

;)

XYY

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Versailles - doesn't take long on the train (RER)

And you can go to the Sevre plate factory, and you buy very nice plates!

HOLA4418

In no particular order:

• Skip the Champs Elysées. Noisy, tacky, and not that safe at night.
  • The Orsay museum - if you're into impressionist paintings, it's like Mecca.
  • If you've got a car, a drive around the Bois de Boulogne at night can be a good laugh - it's full of street prostitutes and very busy. Admire the Brazilians and try to work out their gender :) but for God's sake don't stop your car, and do not go there on foot, or alone.
  • The Tour Montparnasse is gaudy, and looks tired on the inside. But the view from the top is great, and you don't have the crazy crowds (or queues) of the Eiffel Tower, so you can take your time to enjoy the view.
  • Trocadero - best view of the Eiffel tower.
  • The business district of La Défense can be interesting for its modernist architecture, but avoid the rush-hour crush - and it's dead in the evening.

Thanks!

It turns out that I'm going to be there during Bastille day, which I hadn't considered at all. Should be interesting.

HOLA4419

I do like the Worzels. I don't know if there is a French equivalent!

Probably not Pinny mate - more likely a kraut version called Das Würzels.

I remember the classic mid-70s "Combine Harvester" line-up, but you're seven years my senior - do you remember them when they were Adge Cutler and the Wurzels...?

(Fast-forward to 1m 18s for Adge and the boys)

XYY

HOLA4420

Probably not Pinny mate - more likely a kraut version called Das Würzels.

I remember the classic mid-70s "Combine Harvester" line-up, but you're seven years my senior - do you remember them when they were Adge Cutler and the Wurzels...?

(Fast-forward to 1m 18s for Adge and the boys)

XYY

Mr Cutler has Angel status down here, but he is dead now and buried in the local cemetary! I would have loved to have met him.

HOLA4421

Sitting at the **** end of a Brittany Ferry......been to see stages of the Tour de France.....picked up a few freebies from the caravan, great weather,some beautiful beaches lots of well kept villages full of flowers, food great also:-)

HOLA4422

Mr Cutler has Angel status down here, but he is dead now and buried in the local cemetary! I would have loved to have met him.

The BBC Newcastle, and later ITV Tyne-Tees local news "anchorman" Mike Neville may well be the North-East's equivalent of Adge.

An integral part of the BBC's legendary "Nationwide" programme, Mike often hosted the main show in the absence of messers Barrett and Bough. He even stood in for Terry Wogan for two weeks on the 'Wogan' show.

But although London invited him down for more, Mike Neville preferred to live in the North-East, and is now happily retired in the area he gave so much to.

Names I remember from those times include Bob Wellings, Hugh Scully, Pattie Caldwell and an Irish fellow who did proper investigative reporting - think it was Martin someone but I could be wrong.

Of course Stuart Hall was another part of the show, so perhaps my rose-tinted specs need a wipe - but even allowing for that, Mike Neville is a bona-fide, 24-carat North-East "hero", in a way the likes of Sting, or Jimmy Nail, could only dream of...!

Well enough of that - it's over to Tom Coigne in our Birmingham studio...

XYY

HOLA4423

The BBC Newcastle, and later ITV Tyne-Tees local news "anchorman" Mike Neville may well be the North-East's equivalent of Adge.

An integral part of the BBC's legendary "Nationwide" programme, Mike often hosted the main show in the absence of messers Barrett and Bough. He even stood in for Terry Wogan for two weeks on the 'Wogan' show.

But although London invited him down for more, Mike Neville preferred to live in the North-East, and is now happily retired in the area he gave so much to.

Names I remember from those times include Bob Wellings, Hugh Scully, Pattie Caldwell and an Irish fellow who did proper investigative reporting - think it was Martin someone but I could be wrong.

Of course Stuart Hall was another part of the show, so perhaps my rose-tinted specs need a wipe - but even allowing for that, Mike Neville is a bona-fide, 24-carat North-East "hero", in a way the likes of Sting, or Jimmy Nail, could only dream of...!

Well enough of that - it's over to Tom Coigne in our Birmingham studio...

XYY

Stop it! I've got nostalgia now! I want a ham stottie and a pint of Scotch, and a trip to the Bigg Market for a fight!

HOLA4424

XYY

Martin Mcguinness?

HOLA4425

Archived