House Price Crash Forum
workingpoor

Benefit Freeze To Hit 13M

Looks like the freeze is going to have a wide reaching effect.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33463864

Thirteen million UK families will lose an average of £260 a year due to the freeze in working-age benefits, says the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS).

Tax credit changes could hit three million families, which are likely to lose an average of £1,000, it said.

Even taking into account higher wages, people receiving tax credits would be "significantly worse off," said Paul Johnson, director of the IFS.

The chancellor said most workers would be better off under Budget changes.

The biggest impact on families will come from the freeze in working-age benefits and the changes to tax credits, said Mr Johnson.

"It will reduce the incentive for the first earner in a family to enter work," he said.

The number of families affected under the IFS analysis includes those who claim Child Benefit - which will be frozen from April 2016. The majority of families claim the benefit.

Edited by workingpoor

Scrap all 'benefits'.

Let's see some rebalancing, some unrest, riots even. Anything to get out of this Matrix-like malaise.Bring back unions who properly represent worker's interests rather than their own.

It will hit small high street shops hard.

no more working 16hrs to rake all the benefits inand get paid more than full time employee.

The UK needs a big shake-out. It really is time to shake out the zombie businesses and households. The counterargument to my opinion is to keep things going as they are - but eventually the inevitable shake-out will be be that much bigger if you don't do it now. It's like an alcoholic saying he'll quit the drink tomorrow, just give me my bottle today. To be honest, this should have happened 5 years ago, and I'm not sure why Osborne slept on the job for 5 years. I can't believe it's the Lib Dem influence. Still needs bigger budget reforms, but one step at a time.

Edited by canbuywontbuy

Too many benefits being paid for the wrong reasons nowadays. With all these benefits savings though I expect my taxes to come down significantly during the rest of my working life.

why do people on benefits get pm upset at getting less of other people's money?

BTL LLs are in the same boat now aren't they? All business is about getting hold of other people's money with the best lie that can be mustered. LL's and benefit leeches just do it on their arses and make out like they're clever.

Less is not always more.

I expect some of those 13m will indeed "lose" a few quid compared to rising benefits.

A lot more of them will do what it takes to improve their own situations. And some who are now not on benefits will suffer a knock or two in life and find themselves going to sign on.

The premise for headlines like this - that people live in static circumstances - is absurd.

I've said many times that giving people more money is pointless because housing costs just soak it up. The flip side is that people probably wont be much worse off after the cuts because housing costs especially rent levels will be hit. For LLs is a double wammy - people have less money for rent, and they will be paying more tax. All we need now is a good old fashioned recession to really kick things off.

Edited by goldbug9999

Well we wouldn't have had the unfettered rampant persistent migration in if there weren't jobs to be filled.

Perhaps the days of british jobs being too scuzzy for british workers will be over?

The level of entitlement is astounding but you can see how they fell into the trap of Labour's welfare state. Instead of helping Gordon has destroyed millions of peoples life chances who believed the state would hold their hand from cradle to grave.

Welcome to the real world.

The Tories really shoot themselves in the foot. They have finally got the country onside that a balanced budget is fair and that anything else is raping future generations and the unborn. (BBC Question Time audience excepted...they are all me me me). But then they f**k it all up by raising an already generous inheritance tax limit to benefit rich families. Spreading the load would make these welfare cuts seem more justifiable.Total plonkers.

Edited by crashmonitor

The level of entitlement is astounding but you can see how they fell into the trap of Labour's welfare state. Instead of helping Gordon has destroyed millions of peoples life chances who believed the state would hold their hand from cradle to grave.

Yes thats what happened.However these benefit cuts hit working people on tax credits.The only loss to the "scroungers",or the people Osborne said "had their curtains closed while others went to work" is a freeze.New claims lose £10 a week from 17 that is all.

In affect the government are saying we will limit at two children going forward and accept paying out £230 cash a couple with 2+ kids+rent+council tax.

There is nothing in the cuts to hit present workless claims.They have stopped the big amounts going forward by the two child cap and seem happy to let freezes slowly lower the real amounts.

no more working 16hrs to rake all the benefits inand get paid more than full time employee.

We can only hope.

Some serious crying at my wife's retail job from her colleagues - quite a few working mothers doing 16 hours and living like queens, compared to me the full time professional + wife anyway.

There is nothing in the cuts to hit present workless claims.They have stopped the big amounts going forward by the two child cap and seem happy to let freezes slowly lower the real amounts.

Personally I think JSA is far too low, though not so sure about the professional moocher benefits you can get. JSA isn't exactly pro moocher territory though.

I don't know how old you are but this generational lifestyle benefits thing only really kicked in when Thatcher got in.

I remember in the 'sixties' - 'seventies' jobs were easy to come by and just about any job could support a family of four. Rent, energy, food, clothes.

In the eighties, a real culture set in with girls from 16 with a baby getting council houses and flats and easy Dole with just one quick question asked a week. Housing benefit would pay for a singleton living in a house. Huge numbers of real jobs were lost in Howe's moneterist budgets and the seeds for the bankster and corporate privatatision of gambling wins and nationalisation of gambling losses were sown. In the early nineties recession millions of people on the dole were 'persuaded' to claim 'Invalidity' thereby institutionalising their lifestyle. Hell - 200,000 ex-pats in France were on 'invalidity' until retirement. In the late nineties Brown came up with tax credits to address the (since 1979) relative fall in real wages paid by big business so that the NMW wuld not be so high as to hurt small business. And now we are here.

working mothers doing 16 hours and living like queens, compared to me the full time professional + wife anyway.

Unless they have 5 kids all with disabilities you are being delusional.

Guest eight

Personally I think JSA is far too low, though not so sure about the professional moocher benefits you can get. JSA isn't exactly pro moocher territory though.

Anecdotally, I've heard suggestions that many faced with these TC cuts will "just go on the dole".

Edited to add - :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by eight

Anecdotally, I've heard suggestions that many faced with these TC cuts will "just go on the dole".

Edited to add - :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dave dont care, he won the election. The figures can say what they like now.

Unless they have 5 kids all with disabilities you are being delusional.

No, no I'm really not. I'd rather trust my own experiences then your ideological prejudices.

Came here from Slovakia (as my other half did, so nothing against Slovaks) eight months pregnant. Straight into a council house, nice garden, nice car, "single" (actually not, lives with mother + boyfriend), currently moaning at the council because the garden is 'too small' and is in the process of getting moved to somewhere more in the style to which she has become accustomed.

Meanwhile there's me, no car, no garden, not much at all really.

Other half was practically jumping for joy at this budget in the hope of some measure of actual social justice.

Edited by EUBanana

No, no I'm really not. I'd rather trust my own experiences then your ideological prejudices.

Came here from Slovakia (as my other half did, so nothing against Slovaks) eight months pregnant. Straight into a council house, nice garden, nice car, "single" (actually not, lives with mother + boyfriend), currently moaning at the council because the garden is 'too small' and is in the process of getting moved to somewhere more in the style to which she has become accustomed.

Meanwhile there's me, no car, no garden, not much at all really.

Other half was practically jumping for joy at this budget in the hope of some measure of actual social justice.

So on paper she's a single mother with one child, is that correct? Put her details into a benefits calculator. She'll be getting something like £7,625 a year if she's not working, excluding HB. I imagine the mother and boyfriend are paying for the car and no doubt other things.