House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Quiet Guy

Gold Bullion Company Hacked

I have received an email from The Gold Bullion Company:

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

We are writing to notify you of an incident that has occurred relating to The Gold Bullion Company website. Our website – www.thegoldbullion.co.uk – has been the victim of a highly sophisticated fraud, which has resulted in some customer data being compromised. Protecting our customers’ data is the top priority for us, so we took the immediate decision to take our website and server systems offline while an independent IT forensic security company fully interrogated the website. This investigation has now taken place and we have made any recommended upgrades.

The incident was immediately reported to the police and is now the subject of an investigation by both West Midlands and Metropolitan Police Forces.

What has been compromised?
The data you use for your online account with us may have been compromised, including, first name and surname, email address, address and telephone number.

We would like to stress that the breach did not access any credit or debit card details – we do not hold these records on file.

What can I do?
As of Wednesday 8th July, the Gold Bullion Company website has been reactivated and we are advising all customers to log into their account via www.thegoldbullion.co.uk to change their passwords at their earliest convenience. As we may experience significant web traffic at this time, we would advise you keep trying until you are able to change your password.

If you use the same password for additional accounts not relating to The Gold Bullion Company, we would advise you consider changing these too.

We would like to reassure customers that security and the protection of customer data are of the utmost importance to The Gold Bullion Company, and we have sophisticated systems in place to ensure the highest level of protection.

We greatly value our customers’ support and loyalty, and completely understand that you may have some concerns. We have therefore set up a dedicated hotline and email address, should customers have any questions: 0121 523 1070 (office hours) / enquires@thegoldbullion.co.uk

We will keep you informed if there are any further updates.

Yours sincerely,

Paul Marcus

Managing Director, The Gold Bullion Company

I think the message is legit. All rather irritating but I have moved address since I bought anything from them years ago. Anybody who has bought from this outfit and still uses the email address used for the purchase should get a similar email.

If information was viewed about any transactions then the perps will know who holds gold and may believe its worth a visit to their house.

Good point. How many will have been sensible enough to order for delivery to a business address?

Good point. How many will have been sensible enough to order for delivery to a business address?

Not many I would say. It feels safer to have it sent to their home.Gold Bullion say no details about credit/debit cards were hacked but that isn`t the point. If its seen that someone purchased £100k in gold then I`m sure it could be very attractive to some, who would like to pay a visit ...

Edit ...I have bought in person from there offices at Hockley Birmingham in the past, and when I saw this I spent a few minutes trying to remember if I paid cash or used my debit card. Fortunately it was only a few sovereigns but even so, it certainly made me think about the potential ramifications and I once again thought through the security aspects of our home.

Edited by GinAndPlatonic

I don't think they were after addresses.

I think it is more likely that they wanted to gain access to the gold buying/and selling system. If they could do this, they could sell the gold back to the website, after altering the bank accounts connected to the website to their own. That way, they could sell as many accounts' gold holdings as possible and get the proceeds paid into their own bank account.

No need to wait for the postman to call with the heavy parcel, just whizz the money away into the nearest corrupt country.