House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

Hackintosh?

Developing hybrid mobile apps has recently necessitated my acquisition, for the first time, of an Apple Mac - indispensible (annoyingly) for the final stage of deployment to IOS mobile devices.

Baulking at the cost; aware that I also needed a chunkier Windows laptop; and being a resourceful sort, I elected to kill 2 birds with a dual-booting "Hackintosh", which I now have in my possession and which looks very nifty so far.

Anybody else been down this route?

Tried it years ago ie around the time netbooks were a thing. Was OK, but always some niggling thing I couldn't get working (properly or at all).

Now I have a Mac and will run the odd Windows application in emulation or Virtualbox.

My wife had it on her Macbook Pro, to use the odd Windows only bit of software. If it were me, I would have used it almost exclusively in PC mode, as I quite like the Apple hardware, but can't be doing with the Mac OS. Great to have the choice though, I guess.

My wife had it on her Macbook Pro, to use the odd Windows only bit of software. If it were me, I would have used it almost exclusively in PC mode, as I quite like the Apple hardware, but can't be doing with the Mac OS. Great to have the choice though, I guess.

This thread is about the reverse - running OSX on a non-apple labeled computer. I do like the idea of paying Apple's hardware tax and running windows exclusively - almost confounds all logic! OS X is the only reason to buy a Mac imho.

Yep, I run a hackintosh, fully updated on Yosemite 10.10.4. It's absolutely tremendous - everything apart from Sleep works fine. Triple boot with Linux mint and Win 7.

It's come a long way since I first ran a leopard (10.5) hack about 6 years ago.

But it's not allowed by Apple so you have to download some dodgy modified images...

No longer true. I used a standard Yosemite download from the appstore, and clover as a bootloader.

No longer true. I used a standard Yosemite download from the appstore, and clover as a bootloader.

Mine is the same setup. Updates are supposed to be from the app store as per a real Mac but I'm waiting to back everything up before I attempt 10.4 !

What's your base machine?

Interesting. Have you got a link?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html

You may find that you want to use unibeast or multibeast instead - it isn't a totally easy op. You do need to pick your hardware relatively carefully if you want a truly trouble free experience - although you do have a fair amount of leeway and support if you want to go bleeding edge. Here's a good guide.

http://lifehacker.com/the-always-up-to-date-guide-to-building-a-hackintosh-o-5841604

Mine is the same setup. Updates are supposed to be from the app store as per a real Mac but I'm waiting to back everything up before I attempt 10.4 !

What's your base machine?

I started on Yosemite 10.10.2, and did both 10.10.3 and 10.10.4.

.3 required trim renabling on the ssd - that would happen on a mac too if you use a third party one.

.4 update has a new trimforce command built in - just run sudo trimforce enable afterwards and it worked fine. That's all I needed to do!

So I've various - ranging from a 2011 era i7 laptop (everything works but the nvidia card - as it has dual (optimus), and I'm not gaming in OS X the secondary intel one is fine). On that one I'm using unibeast.

The main desktop I use is a 2010 era xeon workstation that I got for free(!) - although I've bunged a lot of ssds, graphics card etc in there. It's more or less the same spec as the base mac pro of that year - very fortunate. It works perfectly apart from sleep. I'm sure if I fiddled about I could get that to work, but it isn't a big deal. The machine is good enough for mac gaming and music production - it does everything I ask of it.

The biggest pain, but also success was an absolute beast machine built for a mate who does hobbyist advanced video editing. A Haswell-E desktop that absolutely stands tall against a new Mac Pro - better in a lot of ways, with a Nvidia 980 GTX in it. This machine cost a bundle - 2K - but still half the price of the Mac Pro. It's nowhere near as slick to run as my ones - you need to set boot options etc in chimera (the bootloader for the unibeast method), but it doesn't half fly once it's booted!

I also have a Mac Mini - fortunately one that can be modified, but I'm disgusted with the way apple are soldering down the hardware now so you can't upgrade anything yourself. It means the hackintosh community serves a purpose though.

Quite interesting. I tried the Mac laptop that would boot into either OS or Vista route, as needed windows but liked the aesthetics of a Macbook, guess was around 2006. Found it a complete ballache and abandoned it really, figuring I might as well just have a windows laptop and be done with it.

Quite common, I find, that you try something/an idea, that doesn't really work and then tend to dismiss similar ideas, too far into the future, despite marked improvement. Probably a sort of curse of the early adopter.

Quite interesting. I tried the Mac laptop that would boot into either OS or Vista route, as needed windows but liked the aesthetics of a Macbook, guess was around 2006. Found it a complete ballache and abandoned it really, figuring I might as well just have a windows laptop and be done with it.

Quite common, I find, that you try something/an idea, that doesn't really work and then tend to dismiss similar ideas, too far into the future, despite marked improvement. Probably a sort of curse of the early adopter.

A decade makes all the difference :-)

Yeah in terms of the reverse, initially it was a real pain. As alluded up the thread, you used to download pre-modded releases called exotic names like Kalyway and iAtkos and had to do many, many things to get it working. And updating - forget it unless you had a day to sort it out.

Your analysis is quite correct - after the pain I had with that, I went back to linux on P.C. hardware for work, windows for gaming and bought a mac mini for toying about with. Until this year when I checked out hackintoshing again.

Now it's relatively straightforward really, especially if you go with a piece of tried and tested hardware where all the testing has been done by someone else and they give you a step by step guide.

This thread is about the reverse - running OSX on a non-apple labeled computer. I do like the idea of paying Apple's hardware tax and running windows exclusively - almost confounds all logic! OS X is the only reason to buy a Mac imho.

Yep, I run a hackintosh, fully updated on Yosemite 10.10.4. It's absolutely tremendous - everything apart from Sleep works fine. Triple boot with Linux mint and Win 7.

It's come a long way since I first ran a leopard (10.5) hack about 6 years ago.

Service is another

Amongst others, I have a early 2011 macbook pro, so a 4 year old machine

6 months ago the Airport card failed. Apple shop replaced card and cable for free under EU 5 year rule (saving me >£100)

3 months ago the GPU failed. Apple shop replaced the GPU for free under EU 5 year rule (saving me £300)

Two weeks ago I took the laptop in complaining about white blotches on the screen as it was delaminating (I had a matt display); they’d been there for years and were increasing. Apple shop replaced the screen for free under EU 5 year rule (saving me >£400)

No quibbles, out of all Apple warranty except EU. Quality service.

Service is another

Amongst others, I have a early 2011 macbook pro, so a 4 year old machine

6 months ago the Airport card failed. Apple shop replaced card and cable for free under EU 5 year rule (saving me >£100)

3 months ago the GPU failed. Apple shop replaced the GPU for free under EU 5 year rule (saving me £300)

Two weeks ago I took the laptop in complaining about white blotches on the screen as it was delaminating (I had a matt display); they’d been there for years and were increasing. Apple shop replaced the screen for free under EU 5 year rule (saving me >£400)

Absolutely true enough. Some of us just like tinkering though :-) My workhorse portable machine is a thinkpad though - it's a tough beast and I can replace the whole thing for buttons if it dies. The money I've saved on not buying (much) apple hardware up front easily deals with fixing the occasional issue. GPU aside, pretty much everything is easily fixed on a normal laptop for next to nothing. Even put in a very HQ IPS 1080p matt display on another of mine for sub a ton (delivered from china) 4 years ago - as an upgrade I dread to think what apple (or indeed any other manufacturer) would have charged up front at the time .

I will also say that to my less technically adept friends who can afford it, I do recommend they buy a Mac (over a PC). So from that perspective, Apple's had 5 direct referral sales out of me (and one actual mac mini plus god knows how many extra indirect ones through the network effect).

I would *never* recommend a hackintosh to someone who hasn't got a clue about things. For one thing, I don't want to deal with the (inevitably free) support!

I will also say that to my less technically adept friends who can afford it, I do recommend they buy a Mac (over a PC). So from that perspective, Apple's had 5 direct referral sales out of me (and one actual mac mini plus god knows how many extra indirect ones through the network effect).

I would *never* recommend a hackintosh to someone who hasn't got a clue about things. For one thing, I don't want to deal with the (inevitably free) support!

I'd usually do all my own repairs, upgrades etc, but this was free :)

And, like you, I never get involved with recommending computers to anyone - for the inevitable life time of "free support" you mention