House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

B+E Trailer Test

I haven't done it, and it's not.

I used to work for a firm that needed people to have a trailer license and most people failed it the first time.

Lot's of 'procedures' that you need to know, or you fail.

Hope that helps! :P

Goggle says if you have a license pre 1997 you already have it ?/

Do it in a vehicle with a short wheelbase and a trailer with a long wheel base and reversing exercise will be easier. I've done C+E years ago and believe it's a scaled down version.

Like has been said, quite a few people I know have failed once or more and I let them practice in my yard. Most of them wanted to tow horseboxes.

Pre 1997 licenses also get C1 (+E) also.

Hence someone in their 70s can drive around a 6 ton truck with car trailer attached, whereas a 30yr old would need to do both C1 and C1E tests to do this.

May cause some trouble in the motorhome industry in a few years time as there's a whole class of vans that can't be driven without spending thousands of pounds on instruction/tests + medicals.

I used to drive a pick up with a trailer. Reversing especially around a corner / into a space is tricky. Definitely practice a lot.

When i was 21 years old i had just passed my test (1991) and i drove a 7 ton lorry to brixton from manchester to move two friend house loads to london, none of us was more than 21 and we ended up driving down oxford street in the rush hour with no idea where the hell we were- amongst the greatest fun i have had in my life, guess i still could do that if i felt like it, but it suspect the horn toots of derision would ruin it. The modern world is potty with its rules and regulations.

When i was 21 years old i had just passed my test (1991) and i drove a 7 ton lorry to brixton from manchester to move two friend house loads to london, none of us was more than 21 and we ended up driving down oxford street in the rush hour with no idea where the hell we were- amongst the greatest fun i have had in my life, guess i still could do that if i felt like it, but it suspect the horn toots of derision would ruin it. The modern world is potty with its rules and regulations.

I still enjoy the odd play trip in a lorry from time to time. I do worry a bit when parking at motorway services and there are loads of other proper lorry drivers watching. I have slept in the cab a couple of times but not really recommended TBH.

Have had lots of amusing moments, as a pretend lorry driver, with staff explaining scams they work to me or jumped up security guards and warehouse staff throwing their weight around only for the blood to drain from their faces when the boss comes down to enthusiastically greet me. :lol:

I have it on my licence so no need for a test, i towed a large trailer behind a LWB van recently luckily didn't have to reverse it.

Your not allowed over 60mph on motorways and 50mph on dual carrigeways.

I do. That's why I haven't taken it....

Jesus - you're right swampy mate. I've only ever passed a car and motorbike test, but being pre-1997 I can drive all sorts of dangerous shit..! :)

Not sure exactly what I can get away with, but looking at all the little pictures on my licence, it would seem only HGV and PSV are beyond my totally un-trained driving talents.

Regarding PSV/buses, I've heard lots of street-wisdom over the years about what you can and can't do on a licence such as mine, and have been led to believe that I can drive a mini-bus up to so many passengers, and that I can even drive a double-decker as long as there are no passengers on-board...!

Anyone knowledgeable enough regarding the facts, and indeed the fiction, of driving buses on a car licence is more than welcome to explain the actual rules... :)

XYY

Shit the bed. I passed first time with no minors...No idea how I did that...

Reeeeesult.....

Did you use a drving school or just rock up with your own trailer?

Reeeeesult.....

Did you use a drving school or just rock up with your own trailer?

Some driving school. I asked the instructor what his pass rate was...He said that for this year, out of 35 tests, he has a 100% pass rate..He wouldn't tell me that yesterday,,,

Jesus - you're right swampy mate. I've only ever passed a car and motorbike test, but being pre-1997 I can drive all sorts of dangerous shit..! :)

Not sure exactly what I can get away with, but looking at all the little pictures on my licence, it would seem only HGV and PSV are beyond my totally un-trained driving talents.

Regarding PSV/buses, I've heard lots of street-wisdom over the years about what you can and can't do on a licence such as mine, and have been led to believe that I can drive a mini-bus up to so many passengers, and that I can even drive a double-decker as long as there are no passengers on-board...!

Anyone knowledgeable enough regarding the facts, and indeed the fiction, of driving buses on a car licence is more than welcome to explain the actual rules... :)

XYY

Similar.

I don't understand some things though. First my licence has A catagory on it. So does that mean I can go out and get a massive great bike and ride it around with no training at all.

Second, I have C1E, which if I am not mistaken gets me a 7500 kg truck, with a trailer of up to 4,500 kg.

Similar.

I don't understand some things though. First my licence has A catagory on it. So does that mean I can go out and get a massive great bike and ride it around with no training at all.

Second, I have C1E, which if I am not mistaken gets me a 7500 kg truck, with a trailer of up to 4,500 kg.

When you look at it...It seems pretty bonkers that you can drive something up to 12 ton (and weighs the best part of several cars) without having any type of training on it...Something simple like not having a breakaway cable attached, can cost you 6 points..

Similar.

You are, it would only get you a 7.5tonner and a 750kg trailer eg like small builders tipper with a small tarmac roller in tow.

The opportunities to drive 7.5tonners will diminish though as there is no real point to them as less drivers are able to drive them on a car licence. Since the introduction of CPC no-one unqualified can just jump behind the wheel and drive them as a job, even with a pre-97 licence, this means there's no temporary/casual delivery driver pool to draw on so I would anticipate further decline in numbers.

They're about as much use as a chocolate teapot really, despite their size, you can only put about two Transit van loads in weight wise. The market for them was driven by the benefit that any Tom, Dick or Harry could drive them.

Similar.

No...it means you can ride a moped :lol:

Similar.

depends when you passed your test, you have to be careful with the category A stipulation.

I think the rules changed on this once in 2001, and once in early 1991

most people these days(test passed pre 2001) will have provisional entitlement to category A-not a full licence-DVLA changed it in 2001 when they removed moped entitlements from full car licence holders.

there is usually a restriction that full category A applies only to motor tricycles, thats what the (079) bit is on the back of the plastic licence.

anything else and you have to go through the normal channels of doing CBT and then a DAS course/test to get the full fat version.

No...it means you can ride a moped :lol:

bikes are in 4 categories

AM is moped( car test passed pre 2001 is also full moped licence)

A1 is up to 15bhp/125 cc(car test passed pre apr 1991 i think is also full A1, after that CBT required)

A2 is now up to 47bhp(about 600cc), it was 33bhp up until a couple of months ago.

A is all motor cycle- but do pay attention to restriction bit of car licence