House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
breezi

Unemployment Up Again

UK unemployment total increases

The number of people out of work in the UK rose by 72,000 in the three months to October to stand at 1.49 million.

That left the unemployment rate at 4.9%, up from 4.7% the month before, figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) showed.

The narrower measure of people out of work and claiming unemployment benefit, rose by 10,500 in November to 902,000.

It was the tenth month in a row that the claimant count figure has increased

I cannot believe any of that. I have read in loads of places that we have 'rising employment and stable inflation'. Surely so many representatives of peole with vested interests in the property market could not be wrong about whether employment is rising or not.

I know someone who got a job the other day.

breezi

Employment and the state of the economy and Gordon's finances is another thing the majority saw through here.

You can't say you weren't warned about what is coming down the pipe.

I cannot believe any of that. I have read in loads of places that we have 'rising employment and stable inflation'. Surely so many representatives of peole with vested interests in the property market could not be wrong about whether employment is rising or not.

I know someone who got a job the other day.

didn't know you were friends with David Cameron ?

I just heard that on the radio- I assume it is based on number of people claiming Jobseekers allowance- never includes all the 2 million or so on incapacity benefit! ( I work with people on incapacity to help them find work- the number claiming goes up 300 a month in Brighton!)

breezi

Employment and the state of the economy and Gordon's finances is another thing the majority saw through here.

You can't say you weren't warned about what is coming down the pipe.

Ill give you that one.

Don't you find it almost tangible? I really feel the camel's back is about to break.

No! No! No! Everything is still okay, rents are rising, property prices are rising, consumer spending is up, employment is rising, happiness and self-fulfilment are rising. Everything is tickety-boo - it's important to be optimistic. The future is bright for our children. Property is affordable. Education, skills and training are great - countries like India are moving their call centres here so they can employ people that other people can understand - it just keeps getting better and better. The 350,000 decent hard-working people that left this country last year, and the 350,000 the year before, and the year before - who left looking for a better life - are all coming back because we're on the up over here.

Wow! Feel better now. Bit of deep breathing and I'm up for anything.

Clearly, certain sectors of the economy are slowing and it seems the rate of the slow down may be accelerating. However, up until now Employment has continued to rise. When Employment starts to fall then we will know that all sectors of the economy are slowing down. IMO

Clearly, certain sectors of the economy are slowing and it seems the rate of the slow down may be accelerating. However, up until now Employment has continued to rise. When Employment starts to fall then we will know that all sectors of the economy are slowing down. IMO

Of course until now employment has continued to rise. That's what I said! That bit about the claimant level rising for 10 months is a row is just pure lies. Isn't it?

Don't you find it almost tangible? I really feel the camel's back is about to break.

No! No! No! Everything is still okay, rents are rising, property prices are rising, consumer spending is up, employment is rising, happiness and self-fulfilment are rising. Everything is tickety-boo - it's important to be optimistic. The future is bright for our children. Property is affordable. Education, skills and training are great - countries like India are moving their call centres here so they can employ people that other people can understand - it just keeps getting better and better. The 350,000 decent hard-working people that left this country last year, and the 350,000 the year before, and the year before - who left looking for a better life - are all coming back because we're on the up over here.

Wow! Feel better now. Bit of deep breathing and I'm up for anything.

Ah, at last you're getting the message.

Marina now "on message".

The "Ministry Of Truth" is happy.

:)

FTBagain

Unfortunately the employment figures never reveal the quality of employment, its reliabiliity and sustainability. The government were employing right left and centre (mostly to the left ;-) ) and now?

Many people have been put on short term working contracts, have magically become self-employed having lost their previous job or working in part time roles.

Breezi, dig a little deeper and you might find a few more examples - deteriorating credit quality and banks starting to lose money, risk premiums on debt increasing leading to rate increases (outside of BOE rate adjustments), the withdrawal of easy credit and 0% percent stuff, continued outsourcing, disappearing industries, I could go on.

Edited by OnlyMe

Of course until now employment has continued to rise. That's what I said! That bit about the claimant level rising for 10 months is a row is just pure lies. Isn't it?

Not necessarily, Employment and Unemployment can both rise at the same, because

a. Population is rising (unlikely in the UK)

b. A greater proportion of the population is seeking work, a definate,

c. Skilling mismatch.

To Unemployment is rising no longer means Employment is falling, so we need Unemployment to rise and Employment to fall before we can say that the employment market is in serious trouble.

OnlyMe,

Yup. Agree totally. I have long wondered what people actually do, given that we do not make much these days. As an engineer by training I believe real wealth is in useful material things (I do not include the mountains of cheap ornimental tat you see in the shops these days either). So if you want to increase your wealth, you need to gain the skills to make things, make them and use them. That all usually requires thought and work, not free hand outs!

Sorry that was close to a rant!

Edited by FTBagain

Not necessarily, Employment and Unemployment can both rise at the same, because

a. Population is rising (unlikely in the UK)

b. A greater proportion of the population is seeking work, a definate,

c. Skilling mismatch.

To Unemployment is rising no longer means Employment is falling, so we need Unemployment to rise and Employment to fall before we can say that the employment market is in serious trouble.

OnlyMe,

Yup. Agree totally. I have long wondered what people actually do, given that we do not make much these days. As an engineer by training I believe real wealth is in useful material things (I do not include the mountains of cheap ornimental tat you see in the shops these days either). So if you want to increase your wealth, you need to gain the skills to make things, make them and use them. That all usually requires thought and work, not free hand outs!

Sorry that was close to a rant!

There's also the ranks of the under-employed: the self employed or part time workers who cant find enough work but dont claim benefits. I was one for 3 years until I ****ed off

There's also the ranks of the under-employed: the self employed or part time workers who cant find enough work but dont claim benefits. I was one for 3 years until I ****ed off

Absolutely, and many of these self employed have been very busy building BTL properties and fitting new kitchens with MEW'ed funds. They will be getting hit hard.