House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
olde guto

Wannabe Northern Rock Mew "misselling" Fail

Don't know whether to laugh or despair about this story:

A.T.S. writes: About eight or nine years ago, my wife and I thought about taking out an equity release scheme on our bungalow, but in the end chose not to go ahead with it.

Now that we are both in our 70s, we decided to restart the process with Aviva, only to be told that we already have a scheme running with Northern Rock and have already supposedly drawn thousands of pounds. We know nothing about this and have never had any such money.

Turns out everything was 100% kosher, so either they are going senile or are trying it on and playing the victim card.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-3149435/TONY-HETHERINGTON-forget-debt.html

I like Tony Hetherington, it's always impressed me how he publishes stories that go both ways rather than just feeding off the victim-hood of the people that write to him.

Ban for firms selling program that ‘guaranteed’ Footsie wins

2A3B071700000578-3149435-image-a-2_14360

Banned: D-Corporation Limited

Four companies involved in selling a computer program that was supposedly guaranteed to pick stock market winners have been ordered into liquidation by the High Court.

This bit is funny too. If I was looking to commit fraud, which I'm not, this is exactly the sort of thing I'd go for. Sell people a 'trading plan or program' and offer them their money back if they don't make a profit. Sell it to 100 people and odds are you'll only have to give out 50 or so refunds, trebles all round!

Turns out everything was 100% kosher, so either they are going senile or are trying it on and playing the victim card.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-3149435/TONY-HETHERINGTON-forget-debt.html

Perhaps they were just hoping that there would be something like "Help to Remember" for pensioners who take out loans, forget and then hope the government gives them free money for being senile.

Perhaps they were just hoping that there would be something like "Help to Remember" for pensioners who take out loans, forget and then hope the government gives them free money for being senile.

Don't give them ideas! :ph34r:

A.T.S - A Total Spanner?

Oh yes, I remember that. Oh and this.

Seriously, financial companies really have to be totally on the ball when selling 20+ year products to Joe Public.

Some people are genuinely stupid, some are scamsters.

Some, like my Mum, have memories of events over 20 years ago seem to be stuff she's seen on tv, stuff she'd like to have happened, stuff she's dreamt.

I know of one medium sized Life Company, no longer with us, than, when it did an audit of of paperwork on its 'best selling' endowment from circa 1988 found that ~30% of mortgages did not have a signature on it - they were too busy to bother checking the paperwork.

Another 30% had signatures but there was a very close similarity with polices sold by the same agent i.e. they were forged.