House Price Crash Forum

Catching Out A Greedy Ea - Help!

hpn

HOLA441

I know this isn't fully in tune with this forum but I've been looking to buy a house in cash as I sold up over a year ago and have been in rented. Finally found a home to live in until I grow old and die, without the worry of HPI or HPC or any of that shite.

The house I want is pretty much perfect, although it needs some work, which is fine. I'm trying to not get too attached. Sod's law there's one of those old overweight middle aged harridan agents trying to sell it who lies to your face without a second thought. The asking price is £300,000. I put in a cash offer of £280k. At this point the agent tells me that the vendor already has an offer - but not with them, through another agency. Bizarrelly it's not listed as Under Offer with either of them and are both still doing viewings. I told her to forget it, I'm not gazumping which is obviously what she wanted.

Fast forward to now. The purchase apparently fell through due to chain issues. Agent rang me up again asking if I want to buy it - sure, my offer still stands, subject to survey etc. "Oh there's ANOTHER cash buyer who is paying over the asking price!" - does she think I'm that thick? Clearly she does. I tell her I'm not going over my previous offer and tell her if her phantom offer falls through let me know at which she clearly wasn't too happy. This was yesterday. I expect a phonecall in a few weeks saying it's stalled, but I REALLY want to catch her out. She's made it personal. I've rung up the other agent who apparently has this offer but they won't give specifics. They've confirmed there is an offer - but it could still be this offer from a few weeks ago. My agent might be lying about the chain falling through, it might have not. I'm about 99% sure she's full of shit. How can I catch her out?

HOLA442
HOLA443

Get it in writing, and then when you have 100% proof - and I mean proof - options then arise.

i) story in local rag about lies

ii) send them a bill for your wasted time due to their untruths - send it to head office, not local branch

iii) hire a billboard across from their shop and plaster their lies all over it...

I'm not a lawyer - so do not know if in english law there is a requirement to tell the truth in business dealings?

HOLA444
HOLA445

I know this isn't fully in tune with this forum but I've been looking to buy a house in cash as I sold up over a year ago and have been in rented. Finally found a home to live in until I grow old and die, without the worry of HPI or HPC or any of that shite.

The house I want is pretty much perfect, although it needs some work, which is fine. I'm trying to not get too attached. Sod's law there's one of those old overweight middle aged harridan agents trying to sell it who lies to your face without a second thought. The asking price is £300,000. I put in a cash offer of £280k. At this point the agent tells me that the vendor already has an offer - but not with them, through another agency. Bizarrelly it's not listed as Under Offer with either of them and are both still doing viewings. I told her to forget it, I'm not gazumping which is obviously what she wanted.

Fast forward to now. The purchase apparently fell through due to chain issues. Agent rang me up again asking if I want to buy it - sure, my offer still stands, subject to survey etc. "Oh there's ANOTHER cash buyer who is paying over the asking price!" - does she think I'm that thick? Clearly she does. I tell her I'm not going over my previous offer and tell her if her phantom offer falls through let me know at which she clearly wasn't too happy. This was yesterday. I expect a phonecall in a few weeks saying it's stalled, but I REALLY want to catch her out. She's made it personal. I've rung up the other agent who apparently has this offer but they won't give specifics. They've confirmed there is an offer - but it could still be this offer from a few weeks ago. My agent might be lying about the chain falling through, it might have not. I'm about 99% sure she's full of shit. How can I catch her out?

why take it personally ? , everyone knows that a freshly laid stepped in dog turd has more honesty than an EA , play the same games find other houses offer on them too play EA`s up against each other just make them aware you have serious offers on other houses

Edited by longgone

HOLA446

Easy. Tell them your offer - and more importantly their potential commission - expires at noon on day x. No agreed decision by then = you are offering on another property (whether you are or not doesn't matter)

Play them at their own game - but do it BETTER.

Simple.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA447
HOLA448

Just to update this, I managed to - by complete chance - catch the vendor outside the house last week, and she told me she's got a private offer not with either agent and is proceeding with that.