House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Biggest Live Act Disappointments

If you were a Sigue Sigue Sputnik fan then you probably deserved the disappointment but the worst ones I've been to were (and I liked them all before going):

Count Arthur Strong (Steve Delaney) - an absolute gem of a radio show. The live act (The Man Behind the Smile) was amateur, shuffling and stumbling. Dire.

U2 - I've liked most of their stuff from "Refugee" onwards but saw them at Wembley on the tour where they wore big papier mache heads and they were awful. Fortunately I had seen two great supporting acts in PJ Harvey and Big Audio Dynamite so didn't mind walking out halfway through.

Jethro - maybe it was an off-night for him. It was filth but, unlike Chubby Brown, it wasn't funny filth delivered with superb timing. It was like being stuck listening to the rude kid in school for an hour and a half whilst thinking "I've paid to be here".

First concert was an outdoor Van Morrison. Sadly he was so full of sauce he hardly made it to the stage.

More sad than disappointing - on a number of levels.

I saw Tom Baker as the inspector in "An Inspector Calls". He was so drunk it was farcical, fell off the stage twice. Afternoon showing too.

I saw Tom Baker as the inspector in "An Inspector Calls". He was so drunk it was farcical, fell off the stage twice. Afternoon showing too.

Shame. I've hear some marvellous stories of what great fun Tom Baker is down the pub but it's not so much fun when there's a formal production on.

Charles Hawtree in his declining years used to turn up drunk on stage and say "hello" and that was pretty much it, all teh people who had been looking forward to seeing a comedy icon saw an incompetent old drunk instead.

REM at Glastonbury in 1999 - they sounded like they really didn't want to be there. I'd seen them live before that and they were great though.

Hazel o'connor glastonbury last year `it was painful also radio head twice second time was worse than the first time when i thought they may have had and of day the first time but they are clearly not a live band to watch even if their recorded stuff is to my likeing

Hawkwind!

I saw Hawkwind and they were good! Michael Moorcock gave out free copies of his books as well. Mind you, the Silver Machine extended remix they did got a bit tedious after about 25 minutes.

I saw Hawkwind and they were good! Michael Moorcock gave out free copies of his books as well. Mind you, the Silver Machine extended remix they did got a bit tedious after about 25 minutes.

Four time survivor here! Twice exellent show, twice a bit crap! Mr Moorcock's books would make smashing films! Better than Lord of the Rings, with the right director! I've always wanted to be Baron of Kroiden, with the wolf mask!

Four time survivor here! Twice exellent show, twice a bit crap! Mr Moorcock's books would make smashing films! Better than Lord of the Rings, with the right director! I've always wanted to be Baron of Kroiden, with the wolf mask!

Quire for me!

Siouxsie and the Banshees 1991

Couldn't sing, couldnt remember some of the words - just an all round cringingly bad performance.

I have been at concerts where the audience were quite hostile (throwing stuff at the stage etc) but in this case everyone was just open mouth agape at how bad they were.

Although saying that, it was still quite entertaining from a people watching point of view - each track they played was like watching a train crash in slow motion.

Guest eight

Hazel o'connor glastonbury last year `it was painful also radio head twice second time was worse than the first time when i thought they may have had and of day the first time but they are clearly not a live band to watch even if their recorded stuff is to my likeing

I thought Radiohead at Glastonbury was supposed to be the biggest "you should have been there" live performance of all time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxMDSGsM3sM

Siouxsie and the Banshees 1991

Couldn't sing, couldnt remember some of the words - just an all round cringingly bad performance.

I have been at concerts where the audience were quite hostile (throwing stuff at the stage etc) but in this case everyone was just open mouth agape at how bad they were.

Although saying that, it was still quite entertaining from a people watching point of view - each track they played was like watching a train crash in slow motion.

Saw them at the Top Rank in Sheffield in the 1970s as a support act for Johnny Thunder and the Heartbreakers

Siouxsie jackbooted across the stage to Deutschland Uber Alles I kid you not.

I believe she now works for the EU on negotiating the next round of austerity cuts for Greece.

That said a lot of punk bands in the 1970s were simply dire live and that includes the Sex Pistols.

Surprisingly if you wanted to see a really good gig back then you were much better of watching the likes of Mud or Slade both of whom were much, much better live than on record.

U2 - I've liked most of their stuff from "Refugee" onwards but saw them at Wembley on the tour where they wore big papier mache heads and they were awful. Fortunately I had seen two great supporting acts in PJ Harvey and Big Audio Dynamite so didn't mind walking out halfway through.

the papier mache head thing is hardly original.

nightmares on wax did it first!

..and the track was a blinder(it's called aftermath IIRC) if you were into the rave scene back in the day

REM at Glastonbury in 1999 - they sounded like they really didn't want to be there. I'd seen them live before that and they were great though.

REM at live8..just as crap.

in fact most of the contemporary artists at that festival were.

then pink floyd came on and totally blew everyone away...they were f***ing awesome!