House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ezkay

Foi Request To London Legacy Development Committee Re Self Build On Olympic Park

Back in 2013 there was a lot of publicity around the London Legacy Development Committee asking for expressions of interest in purchasing self-build plots in the Olympic Park. They were pushing community, co-operative ideas of self-build with communities working together to share knowlege and skills.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/apr/11/self-builders-olympic-park-housing

I'd love to self-build and I'd love to stay in London, but these two things are nigh on impossible to do with current prices. So I completed submitted an expression of interest, giving lots of info about myself, my skills, my time commitment. And I waited and waited and waited to hear.

Two years later: nothing. So I submitted a FoI request to find out what had happened to the project, and this is the response I received. My requests are in bold, the answers below.

1) The number of expressions of interest from potential self-builders submitted following the consultation that took place in April 2013 regarding the possibility of releasing land in the Olympic Park for Londoners to ensure, according to a statement from Dennis Hone, chief executive of the LLDC, to ensure "a diverse range of housing that attracts everyone" is built on the land.

The Legacy Corporation undertook a demand survey for custom build between 12 March and 19 April 2013, which comprised an online survey for anyone interested in custom build. A total of 520 responses were received.

2) Detailed information on the outcome of the consultation and the current plans for the land which had been earmarked for potential self-build.

The demand survey provided information on the level of interest if there was an opportunity for custom build. The survey also provided information about respondents including demographics, location, household size, tenure and their priorities. The potential for custom build was discussed with shortlisted bidders during the procurement of a development partner for the East Wick and Sweetwater neighbourhoods; however, the selected bidder’s scheme does not include proposals for custom build.

I would have thought thay 520 reponses would constitute "sufficient interest" given there are "only" 8000 homes being built, but clearly the land went to the highest bidder. Disappointing, given the noises the government were making at the time about boosting the self-build sector.