House Price Crash Forum

A Minute's Silence.

HOLA441
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I don't really feel connected enough to the event to observe it myself.

I didn't know anyone involved personally. It isn't on the scale of a national tragedy, nor is it like the war dead who volunteered to die that we may benefit.

HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest eight

I don't even observe the war ones, so fat chance of me going out of my way for this one. I hate piety.

HOLA445

Serious question, what's the point?

It's going to sound harsh, but I never knew these people, they have no connection to me and the event really isn't anything too out of the ordinary in the grand scheme of things. While the death toll was relatively high, London has seen plenty of this stuff over the years, which possibly effects my attitude.

Unless you think there is some real significant to how many times we have travelled round the sun since then, 1, 10, 50 for 100 years also has little to no relevance.

HOLA446

I don't even observe the war ones, so fat chance of me going out of my way for this one. I hate piety.

I'll keep my gob shut if I'm in company. But have said before time to draw a line IMO.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Perhaps it's militarisation of the event. The military reception for the coffins is possibly what ISIL want. It turns the dead into returning soldiers, they weren't sunning themselves to defend democracy.

He's talking about the London bombings 10 years ago.

I have less of an issue with a minutes silence close to an event as a one off. Although I agree with hotairmail, as with anything over exposure radically reduces the effect.

HOLA4411

Wiki informs me that around 500,000 people die in the UK each year, many of them prematurely of course.

That's around 1,370 every day. That's an awful lot of minute silences. In fact it's around 23 hours worth per day at the rate of 1 minute per death. So to be fair to everyone we ought to observe 23 hours out of every day in respectful silence.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Wiki informs me that around 500,000 people die in the UK each year, many of them prematurely of course.

That's around 1,370 every day. That's an awful lot of minute silences. In fact it's around 23 hours worth per day at the rate of 1 minute per death. So to be fair to everyone we ought to observe 23 hours out of every day in respectful silence.

Perhaps that's how monasteries started..

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

When you're at work / school you go along with it. As you do for the countless other minor inconveniences that come with being a member of a large social group.

Everybody is allowed to be a full individual on their own time.

I would think it odd if somebody at work didn't observe it; similarly I would think it odd if everybody in a shopping precinct suddenly stopped silently for a minute.

HOLA4416

I'll keep my gob shut if I'm in company. But have said before time to draw a line IMO.

Not sure if I take your meaning correctly, but there's hardly a year has went by over the last two centuries that British service men and women haven't given their lives. Whether you agree that those lives were well spent is irrelevant imo.

If we ever get to a point where X amount of years have passed without loss, then maybe it will be time to draw that line.... although that won't be in my lifetime I fear.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Not sure if I take your meaning correctly, but there's hardly a year has went by over the last two centuries that British service men and women haven't given their lives. Whether you agree that those lives were well spent is irrelevant imo.

If we ever get to a point where X amount have years have passed without loss, then maybe it will be time to draw that line.... although that won't be in my lifetime I fear.

Everybody is entitled to their personal view on this.

Mine is that it was to commemorate the sheer slaughter of the First World War hence the poppy and the 11am on 11 November timing. Once the last soldier, Harry Patch, died that was it for me in that form. Up until then I had worn a poppy to work that week every year but I don't anymore.

People are perfectly entitled to roll up all other conflicts into it if they want but that was not why I was participating.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

All I know, is that there will be pictures in the media of Muslims doing the 1 minute along with the others.

I know that someone will say that is shows solidarity between Secular Britain and Muslims, and that not all Muslims are bad.

We are to love our enemy, because next the muslims will be complaining about enforced Diversity on their community with the Anti Terror Act 2015.... why are we picking on them when they are at one with us?

Yep, its already started on the BBC:

A number of mosques are expected to participate in the silence, and many will also remember the victims during Friday prayers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33375928

HOLA4421

I don't really feel connected enough to the event to observe it myself.

I didn't know anyone involved personally. It isn't on the scale of a national tragedy, nor is it like the war dead who volunteered to die that we may benefit.

The very formal way the coffins are being received back indicates they are victims of a war despite not being soldiers.

I'm not sure it's the normal way bodies are repatriated.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

All I know, is that there will be pictures in the media of Muslims doing the 1 minute along with the others.

I know that someone will say that is shows solidarity between Secular Britain and Muslims, and that not all Muslims are bad.

We are to love our enemy, because next the muslims will be complaining about enforced Diversity on their community with the Anti Terror Act 2015.... why are we picking on them when they are at one with us?

Yep, its already started on the BBC:

A number of mosques are expected to participate in the silence, and many will also remember the victims during Friday prayers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33375928

All this ISIS stuff has made it very clear to me that the Shia muslims are generally sensible and reasonable.

Whereas the Sunni muslims aren't. Hence why they keep killing Shia muslims for being nice which is "unislamic".

Hence even ISIS' atrocities are a learning experience.

HOLA4424

All this ISIS stuff has made it very clear to me that the Shia muslims are generally sensible and reasonable.

Whereas the Sunni muslims aren't. Hence why they keep killing Shia muslims for being nice which is "unislamic".

Hence even ISIS' atrocities are a learning experience.

85-90% of Muslims are Sunnis...

HOLA4425

Archived