House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sisyphal

Buy-To-Let Could Pose A Threat To Uk Economy, Warns Bank Of England

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/11712384/Buy-to-let-could-pose-a-threat-to-UK-economy-warns-Bank-of-England.html

In a downswing, investors selling buy-to-let properties into an illiquid market could amplify falls in house prices, potentially raising losses given default for all mortgages.

I sometimes think the BoE read something on here, then 2 years later make a statement about it.

Edited by sisyphal

These parasites losing their shirts would be the best shot-in-the-arm to the UK economy in the long run. We have enough free-loaders to contend with without their contribution.

These parasites losing their shirts would be the best shot-in-the-arm to the UK economy in the long run. We have enough free-loaders to contend with without their contribution.

I think they're trying to say the taxpayers going to end up paying

I get the definite feeling that something is afoot with BTL, based on all the recent media comment on it. Whether it will turn out to benefit HPC or BTL remains to be seen, but based on previous form, you'd have to reckon on it being the latter that get helped. As usual.

I get the definite feeling that something is afoot with BTL, based on all the recent media comment on it. Whether it will turn out to benefit HPC or BTL remains to be seen, but based on previous form, you'd have to reckon on it being the latter that get helped. As usual.

HTBTL

helping the disadvantaged children of tory voters get their first foothold on the btl ladder?

Probably wishful thinking but isn`t there a budget due soon ,,,,laying the foundations for a change maybe

I know. Government guaranteed rents to prevent btl destabilising the rest of the economy. You know it makes sense.

I know. Government guaranteed rents to prevent btl destabilising the rest of the economy. You know it makes sense.

More likely that what i was hoping for which was the removal of tax breaks for IO BTL mortgages

Edited by long time lurking

The amateur small-scale BTL'ers wil probably get taken out at some point though won't they. Replaced by large companies.

The majority of the population don't buy all their goods from the local shop, or get money from the local money-lender.

The amateur small-scale BTL'ers wil probably get taken out at some point though won't they. Replaced by large companies.

The majority of the population don't buy all their goods from the local shop, or get money from the local money-lender.

I think the lobbying has already started by companies wanting to do BTR. A cynic might think that part of the reason for the HA sell off is to further reduce availability of social housing so the big corporates can move in and provide housing.

Some people get all misty eyed about the corner shop (boomers who never really had to do their shopping at a corner shop?) they forget how liberating it was to use a supermarket and get a better choice for less money. The big supermarkets got too big, created a gap in the market and in came the German retailers to shake things up and lower prices. This sort of thing has happened in many sectors and needs to happen with housing provision.

The small time BTL are going to get taken out to the woodshed and the big boys will clean up at low prices. The FTB won't be able to even at low prices.

The crash is on!

The small time BTL are going to get taken out to the woodshed and the big boys will clean up at low prices. The FTB won't be able to even at low prices.

The crash is on!

Do you mean buy? If so you're assuming that big corporate LLs will want to follow the conventional BTL model. My personal assumption is that the corporate LL will follow the disruptive self service supermarket, direct purchase of insurance and budget airline models and cut-out the middlemen to maximise profits. A company like Tesco owns a lot of land, it knows how to get the most out of building contractors and has a retail face, it could control the whole process and even put a Tesco convenience store (with integrated letting/management agent) on the BTR development.

The crash is on!

we know a song about that don't we???

check out

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/a/amy_winehouse/valerie.html

can't remember the original,was it the libertines?????

The subsidies that encourage BTL will be gradually withdrawn as the UK attempts to transform itself into a proper economy. The first stages of this will be seen in next week's UK budget. You know I know.

The messages are very similar to the themes in this page. And would it be that surprising that someone thinking about the BTL sector had visited this site? Probably not.

Or perhaps someone at the Bank of England has been long aware of the issues and it took them two years to take him or her seriously.

But this is not the first time that the Bank has raised the topic. Previously the Bank asked for power to regulate the BTL sector and it is still pushing for the power.

The subsidies that encourage BTL will be gradually withdrawn as the UK attempts to transform itself into a proper economy. The first stages of this will be seen in next week's UK budget. You know I know.

A quid pro quo for the inheritance tax thing? Give with one, take with the other. Families good, landlords bad.

Raid on pensions?

Definitely the co-ordinated attack on BTL seems to have been planted somehow?

A quid pro quo for the inheritance tax thing? Give with one, take with the other. Families good, landlords bad.

Raid on pensions?

Definitely the co-ordinated attack on BTL seems to have been planted somehow?

unlikely that this is coordinated. What was in text today has probably been in draft for several months and would be an iceberg article - you can only see a fraction of the thinking that has been done on the subject over a long period of time.

By contrast, a couple of months ago we thought Cameron was on his way out.