House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rollover

America’S Very Own Greece

The eyes of the world are trained on Greece, this week, as it teeters on the brink of disaster. Which perhaps helps to explain Alejandro García Padilla’s timing: the Puerto Rico governor chose Monday to announce that the island territory is insolvent, and cannot (will not) pay back its $72 billion in debt. Not on time and in full, in any case.

screen-shot-2015-06-30-at-2-33-10-pm.png

Puerto Rico, like Greece, is the poor southern cousin of a politically-motivated monetary union which was not designed with such populations in mind. Like Greece, it is burdened with a massive debt it can’t realistically pay back. Like Greece, it is therefore going to default. And like Greece, that default is going to prove extraordinarily painful, in large part because of the constraints being imposed from the north.

The big question in Puerto Rico is what’s going to happen to its debt. http://fusion.net/story/159325/the-tragedy-of-puerto-rico-americas-very-own-greece/

Another domino is falling.

These enormous sums of money are meaningless. What do they actually represent? To an individual money has a meaning, it represents what his time is worth, what goods he can consume, what he needs to hold in reserve for unexpected events. But the amounts needed are relatively small.

When you get to amounts in 10s of millions, let alone billions, they become meaningless, well they would to me. I don't think I could comprehend how long it would take me to spend it, and on what. My sense of value would be totally distorted.

What on earth does $72 billion represent in reality?

These enormous sums of money are meaningless. What do they actually represent? To an individual money has a meaning, it represents what his time is worth, what goods he can consume, what he needs to hold in reserve for unexpected events. But the amounts needed are relatively small.

When you get to amounts in 10s of millions, let alone billions, they become meaningless, well they would to me. I don't think I could comprehend how long it would take me to spend it, and on what. My sense of value would be totally distorted.

What on earth does $72 billion represent in reality?

About 0.1% of the combined GDPs of all the nations of the world.