House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libspero

Does Old Music Just Disappear?

In the age of the Internet we come to expect to type a song into google or YouTube and be presented with hundreds of options to listen or buy it. It seems that things no matter how obscure will always be found in some dark corner of the web.

Watching an old episode of dad's army last night I heard a song by Anne Lenner (written by Carroll Gibbons) called "Thanks To Love" from 1941.

In th hope of hearing the full song I look on YouTube for it.. Nothing.

Fair enough.

More surprising, I look on Google and there's bearly a record of its existence.

Nowadays it seems alien how history can be just lost like that..

It hasn't disappeared. It's so old that it just hasn't made it on to the interweb. Now's your chance.

Where do you find music that old? Car boot?

Great find..

Did you manage to play it? It appears to be listed but not actually available.

Played fine for me. I think you'll need a Spotify account. I have one from years ago, when it was free -- is it still?

EDIT: oops! you're right. wrong track! there's only one free track on that album - a Ray Noble number. Sorry.

Your track is also found on another CD album:

Please Remember, Vol. 4, 1936-44

It's true that for all that we live in an age of free media, It can be surprisingly difficult to find even well-known pieces of music or movies. For instance, for ages I couldn't find Noel Coward's own version of his song "Mad About The Boy" until one day it appeared on YT:

Of course, pre-internet it would have been nigh on impossible. As Louis CK opines here, we're spoiled really.

Films and TV programmes also. Books increasingly. The British Library apparently keeps a library of recordings.

The problem with books is that so many are out-of-print but still in copyright, so those who have copies can't just upload them to the Internet even though the author isn't making any money from them. An acquaintance wanted to make a movie of a long out-of-print book whose author had died, and getting the rights was a heck of a job.

Guest eight

The problem with books is that so many are out-of-print but still in copyright, so those who have copies can't just upload them to the Internet even though the author isn't making any money from them. An acquaintance wanted to make a movie of a long out-of-print book whose author had died, and getting the rights was a heck of a job.

Was it the koran?

The problem with books is that so many are out-of-print but still in copyright, so those who have copies can't just upload them to the Internet even though the author isn't making any money from them.

I would upload this song to youtube except for the same reason.

It is hard to believe that anything from 1941 could still be copyrighted, but I presume it probably is.

I digitised some 78s and uploaded them to Youtube. Interestingly, Youtube instantly recognised some, I think they had been 'registered' by some rights holder, they are still up there but I think the rights holder is getting any advertisement revenu from my uploads. Others I uploaded never got this. I think Youtube runs on the principle that you can upload what you want; if it is regustered as belonging to someone, then the google algorithms will recognise it. Then it is up to the rights holder what happens next - from nothing, through silent monetisation, to getting you banned and your account deleted.

It's amazing just what *is* on YouTube. For example someone recorded just about every episode of 'Treasure Hunt' on VHS and has put them all up.

That said, there is plenty of music that people don't have the videos to unless they happened to record lots of MTV. For example "Major T - Tell Me Why" has an outstanding video of a cartoon guy and a dolphin, but it's just too obscure. Would love to see it again.

Something must happen to music after around 25 years since you begin to hear tracks that are exactly 25 years old (copyright just gone?) being used in adverts.