House Price Crash Forum
Byron

Times They Are A-Changing

Saw a Beeb person on TV wailing about falling licence revenue and the fact that many young people have the effrontery to not even own a TV.

I see loads of people using those vaping devices instead of tobacco, so tax revenues must be falling. Osborne of course cannot wail about tobacco revenue falling because allegedly this is government policy.

Greece wobbling like mad.

Brave new world.

Saw a Beeb person on TV wailing about falling licence revenue and the fact that many young people have the effrontery to not even own a TV.

I think we're getting close to having to have an 'internet license'.

BBC are long past their sell-by date - they need to go subscription-model and keep the best shows and good luck fellas - it's a hard world out there when you're not guaranteed an income. No more jollies.

Younger generations - this is where the zombified economy hits the buffers without major major changes. Everything is pointing to a major crash in order for younger generations to rebuild something for themselves. This isn't even an option or escapable. The government are clinging onto an illusion of stability, while borrowing like idiots to keep the fantasy going. The UK is going to go broke just like Greece, but with a bigger bang. Huge, painful actual austerity ahead to even get close to stopping the UK going bankrupt. Not going to happen. UK will simply borrow and borrow and borrow until it goes bankrupt.

Consider the above is wrong. Things tick along - we borrow £80Bn a year, record modest GDP growth, add 300K+ immigrants to the population each year, more and more money going to welfare payments....actually, this isn't things ticking over - it's a ticking time bomb.

I think we're getting close to having to have an 'internet license'.

I wonder that too. However, Victor Orban (Prime minister of Hungary) tried something similar last year and was so overwhelmed by popular protest that he backed down.

That said, the Brits are in general quite happy to pay for stuff unnecessarily. If the government proposed an internet tax to keep the internet safe from racism and sexism, a lot of the Stepford Students generation would probably think it a good idea...

BBC are long past their sell-by date - they need to go subscription-model and keep the best shows and good luck fellas - it's a hard world out there when you're not guaranteed an income. No more jollies.

Younger generations - this is where the zombified economy hits the buffers without major major changes. Everything is pointing to a major crash in order for younger generations to rebuild something for themselves. This isn't even an option or escapable. The government are clinging onto an illusion of stability, while borrowing like idiots to keep the fantasy going. The UK is going to go broke just like Greece, but with a bigger bang. Huge, painful actual austerity ahead to even get close to stopping the UK going bankrupt. Not going to happen. UK will simply borrow and borrow and borrow until it goes bankrupt.

Consider the above is wrong. Things tick along - we borrow £80Bn a year, record modest GDP growth, add 300K+ immigrants to the population each year, more and more money going to welfare payments....actually, this isn't things ticking over - it's a ticking time bomb.

Great points, the economy in its current form will never recover.

Young folk will have to do something new.

Guest eight

Yes, and the price of confectionary has gone up a bit too ...

11066617_578957388913830_896829248152540

Mmm Fry's 5 Centre. I seriously thought I had dreamed that - nobody I spoke to could remember it!

Mmm Fry's 5 Centre. I seriously thought I had dreamed that - nobody I spoke to could remember it!

I'd never heard of it until Peter Kay mentioned it. To the uninitiated it sounds revolting.

Life finds a way. That's on the lines Norman Lamont suggested Carney needed to bring in as Govenor. Maybe it's just been a smoothing operation to now. People not flinching from £450K upsizes at £350K mortgage. Even at 3% fixed rate, on £350,00 I'm not sure what they've fully calculated the risks.. Negative economic feedback from recent sustained easing policies might come back to force the matter.

Lord Lamont said there was little "visible" evidence of a boost to the wider economy, that QE had pushed up inflation and it had been disastrous for the savings of pensioners across the country.

The hard truth, he added, was that British households had borrowed too much during the years before the credit crisis and how had to pay it off.

He said: "QE is an attempt to avoid the necessary adjustment.

"(Mark Carney's) role is not to find a monetary silver bullet but to deliver some hard message that a debt work out is exactly that - tough, unremitting, but the only way to get the economy back into better shape."

As per Norman Lamont a few weeks ago. http://www.telegraph...o-ditch-QE.html

I began reading Brave New World (shocked me after a few chapters that it was written/published in 1931) in 1991 before bed on a stayover with a pal at his parents' flat (he was a big reader) in a not-so-nice block of apartments; it had underfloor heating even then. Each time I watch

I think its the same blocks of apartment (but that place has other blocks in view).

There's a lot of VI who need to be kicked off the pleasure Soma, back into the real world.

Daily Mail

Average UK house price to hit £780,000 by 2040, says leading think tank

Kilo Charlie, My World, 9 hours ago

We purchased a property in 1983 for £72,000.........today it's worth £650,000 plus. It's certainly possible and quite likely.

Sam, Bucks, 3 hours ago

Bought house in ,74 for 16k added extention about £8k now valued at £480k you do the maths?

Diesel cars getting too economical too, must invent diesel cancer boogeyman...

There is a doc on youtube about GM and other us researchers getting crazy mileage in the 60s with experimental cars 150mpg and such.

Nothing exotic but they claim oil firms changed the chemical composition of the fuel to get worse mileage and if they hadn't done it we would have much more efficient cars many years ago.

Its a great doc if you can find it , one for the engineer nerds in here.

I wonder that too. However, Victor Orban (Prime minister of Hungary) tried something similar last year and was so overwhelmed by popular protest that he backed down.

FYI Telly tax in Germany is more expensive (for worse content with ads) and applies to all households regardless of if they own a TV or not.
Enforcement bureaucracy used to have a name that rhymed with Gestapo.
Things can get a lot worse if you let them.

I am actually quite surprised that the big tobacco firms allowed vaping to exist. I would have thought that they would have lobbied for it to be banned, unless they are getting a cut of the vaping action.

Yes Fry's, that got me thinking about a totally different matter the fate of Quaker established chocolate companies (Fry's, Rowntree's, Cadbury's) and other Quaker businesses are perfect examples of the transition from Capitalism to Crapitalism.

The transition from when the businesses had ethics (the Quakers felt they had to answer to God for their actions) to today where many have none (the companies have to answer to the shareholder and their demands for MORE).

The state was expected to pick-up nothing in the early days of these business (many of whom provided housing, welfare and healthcare for their workers) to the modern age where the state had to nationalise Lloyds bank and low paid workers at the companies get things like WTCs.