House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fairyland

The Guradian: Bbc Aims To Become 'leaner And Simpler' With New Round Of Job Cuts

I can't link. It doesn't show the link option on my tablet.

I must say I am one of those Non TV owning people for last 9 years.

Edited by Fairyland

Stepping away from the political environment i.e. not Labour, I would guess the Beebs market research is coming back dire.

The BBC just cannot compete; its too bloated and too sh1t.

My watching time has dropped off, and the hours I do watch TV are very rarely BBC.

5 years left.

..solution best for all ...close down the BBC who give the news a lefty tilt despite their denials ...we all know.... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

..solution best for all ...close down the BBC who give the news a lefty tilt despite their denials ...we all know.... :rolleyes:

News just in .... "A cat has done a poo, on your bed!"

News just in BBC .... "A cat saw a dog, poo on your bed!"

Drop in the number of licence fee payers leaves broadcaster with a £150m hole in its finances

no, leaner and simpler is orwellian doublespeak at work again.

they are on the lookout for anorexics with learning difficulties.

Edited by oracle

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/30/bbc-threat-success-market-ideology-conservative-mps?CMP=share_btn_tw

Apparently the BBC is great, which is why the Tories want to stop it.

FFS - My kids play games, or watch youtube. They watched more Minecraft videos i nthe last month than they've watched BBC programs in the last year.

I struggle to think of anyhting Ive watched on the BBC in the last couple of months.

The BBC has a problem. And its not only a dead Leed's DJ.

Can anyone seriously point to anything that the Bbc does better than any other of the myriad of both domestic & international broadcasters-

The news is excrutiatingly bad,the best drama tends to be bought in and as for "light entertainment" don't get me started.

I had to laugh last night at the BBC news. They had some correspondent going round the slums of Dhakar in Bangladesh showing how millions of pounds of British aid to the country were worth it because they'd built three public toilets. No attempt at investigating what else the money goes on, as far as I could see; just lots of feelgood shots of kiddies and 'empowered' women.

Add television to the long list of things the British are really quite crap at.

They used to be very very good.....I think these days the bbc is run more for the bbc and those who work for them......why much of the sport that they used to show is no longer broadcast by them for their tax paying customers....bbc radio is still good imo..... ;)

Can anyone seriously point to anything that the Bbc does better than any other of the myriad of both domestic & international broadcasters-

The news is excrutiatingly bad,the best drama tends to be bought in and as for "light entertainment" don't get me started.

Documentaries.

David Attenborough, Jim Al-Khalili, Michael Scott, Iain Stewart, Dan Cruickshank and more. No other channel comes close.

Documentaries.

David Attenborough, Jim Al-Khalili, Michael Scott, Iain Stewart, Dan Cruickshank and more. No other channel comes close.

That is very true....my only problem being, some of the documentaries go along the lines of.

1. Celeb getting free jolly holiday to somewhere anyone would do anything to get an all expenses paid trip to

2. Some interest stuff

3. Finishes off with BBc telling Climate change must be tackled.

1 and 3 make 2 void.

The number of celebs getting trips of a life time out of the BBc is quite sickening.

BBC should slim down to two TV channels, BBC4 and a combined version of the content of BBC1 and BBC2. Keep radios four and three, and possibly two.

Ditch everything else; it's all done just as well by commercial companies.

Documentaries.

Add Andrew Graham-Dixon to that (his 'The Art of ...' shows).

The BBC does history, art and documentaries often very well indeed. Watching TV free of adverts is good as well.

For the documentaries, Wimbledon and other stuff, the license fee is good value currently.

Add Andrew Graham-Dixon to that (his 'The Art of ...' shows).

The BBC does history, art and documentaries often very well indeed. Watching TV free of adverts is good as well.

For the documentaries, Wimbledon and other stuff, the license fee is good value currently.

And, if like me, you do not watch documentaries or tennis?

And, if like me, you do not watch documentaries or tennis?

Well then, you're condemned to whining about how you're forced to pay for tv you don't want / left-wing bias / statism / free markets etc. My heart bleeds.

I recently watched a series of videos, basically Russell Brand taking on Fox News - quite entertaining and all on Youtube. Quite apart from the politics and the car-crashes on both sides, it was an eye-opener as to what future tv formats could be. At one point Brand himself pointed out that it was funny it was just him and a camera-man sat in his flat, taking on the wrath of the Fox News Network.

Personally, I highly value the BBC and feel lucky to live in a country that has it, but surely it will have to evolve over the next 5-10 years into something more than likely unrecognisable. Perhaps, for example, telly and radio will disappear into the internet entirely (BBC3 is dead long live BBC3?).

As for political bias - I can't quite make up my mind whether it should be naturally left-wing (progressive, public institution ?) or naturally right-wing (establishment? older values ?), but there are quite enough right-wing outlets out there so in terms of general choice it works out well for me in the UK if its neutral or slightly left.

Edited by pig

The problem is while all that is true, the other channels do it worse.

The telescreen droned on incessantly in Winston Smith's apartment with its near endless stream of Big Brother's mind control and propaganda. Winston was unable to switch the telescreen off but he didn't mind, as Big Brother also did a handful of wonderful nature documentaries, with no adverts, and a Lenny Henry charity telethon.

Edited by SNACR

When is the BBC going to bit the bullet and move to a subscription model?

They could make a start by making people outside the UK pay for viewing and listening on iPlayer. And also to gain access to the iPlayer you need to enter a valid TV license number.

Drop in the number of licence fee payers leaves broadcaster with a £150m hole in its finances

..the BBC will not become 'leaner and simpler' until it is sold off as a business to stand on it's own two feet and not continue as a tax burden on the already overtaxed people of this country... :rolleyes:

Well then, you're condemned to whining about how you're forced to pay for tv you don't want / left-wing bias / statism / free markets etc. My heart bleeds.

I recently watched a series of videos, basically Russell Brand taking on Fox News - quite entertaining and all on Youtube. Quite apart from the politics and the car-crashes on both sides, it was an eye-opener as to what future tv formats could be. At one point Brand himself pointed out that it was funny it was just him and a camera-man sat in his flat, taking on the wrath of the Fox News Network.

Personally, I highly value the BBC and feel lucky to live in a country that has it, but surely it will have to evolve over the next 5-10 years into something more than likely unrecognisable. Perhaps, for example, telly and radio will disappear into the internet entirely (BBC3 is dead long live BBC3?).

As for political bias - I can't quite make up my mind whether it should be naturally left-wing (progressive, public institution ?) or naturally right-wing (establishment? older values ?), but there are quite enough right-wing outlets out there so in terms of general choice it works out well for me in the UK if its neutral or slightly left.

So Russell Brand posts a rehash of Jon Stewart on YouTube and you think it's groundbreaking? Gullible much?