House Price Crash Forum

'i Had To Receive 50 Japanese Soldiers A Day. They Kicked And Beat Me... And My Children Are Still Ashamed Of Me': Wwii 'comfort Woman'

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3143566/I-receive-50-Japanese-soldiers-day-kicked-beat-children-ashamed-WWII-comfort-woman-sex-slave-tells-barbarity-suffered-suing-Japan-16million.html

• Lee Ok-seon, 87, was snatched off the street aged 15, forced into a military brothel to have sex with up to 50 Japanese troops a day
  • She was one of 200,000 'comfort women' raped and sexually abused by soldiers during Second World War
  • Lee is suing Japan for £16million compensation along with 11 more former sex slaves
  • But Japan said the women are prostitutes and cashed in on the wartime sex trade to sell their bodies for money
  • The day Lee Ok-seon was snatched off the street is etched into her memory forever.

Terrified, she was just 15 years old when she was grabbed as she walked home from work and taken to work in a military brothel.

For three years she was held as a sex slave for the Japanese army where she was expected to 'comfort' up to 50 troops per day.

The sex slave industry is quite possible one the biggest issues of WWII which has been completely ignored.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070228195049/http://foreignaffairs.house.gov/110/ohe021507.htm

Statement of

Jan Ruff O’Herne AO

Friends of “Comfort Women” in Australia

Subcommittee on Asia, the Pacific, and the Global Environment

Committee on Foreign Affairs

U.S. House of Representatives

Hearing on

Protecting the Human Rights of “Comfort Women”

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Very sad that the Japanese won't admit liability for what happened. A mass war crime that they got away with.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I believe "all sides" were up for this! Pretty sure there was some British cruelty too! Not something that gets advertised, as we won (a bit)!

HOLA443

I believe "all sides" were up for this! Pretty sure there was some British cruelty too! Not something that gets advertised, as we won (a bit)!

Mr Pin, I expect better from you than a bit of whataboutary and false equivalence.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

******ing hell never heard about that.

I remember reading about the huge change in attitudes between WWI and WWII in regards to prisoners of war.

Teachings of the emperor that all non Japanese were sub humans ? Whereas previously they had been treated as fellow warriors - and by many accounts were treated exceptionally well.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I remember reading about the huge change in attitudes between WWI and WWII in regards to prisoners of war.

Teachings of the emperor that all non Japanese were sub humans ? Whereas previously they had been treated as fellow warriors - and by many accounts were treated exceptionally well.

My understanding is that the poor treatment dished out to POWs was no worse than how the Japanese would treat their own soldiers in similar circumstances.

Japanese soldiers were taught to never surrender and that it was a dishonourable act. Even being sick was considered a disgrace.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

The Japanese always look up to north americans/ Europeans and look down on everyone else.

They never see other peoples as being on the same level.

That's a default state for organised societies? Both Korean nations are hugely xenophobic as well, and in Japan's case its relative military superiority was exacerbated by its insular, callous feudal society.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Come on guys, its not "the Japanese" at fault here, its just a nasty minority.

You cant judge a japanese on what just a few did to each other.

Thats racist.

Isnt it?

Note to self: silly me, this applies only to Muslims of course. Its only other groups that have a nasty minority set on killing other group members for whom we can condemn the whole group. Oh, and that group has to be a state...probably why our Government leader said he was cross with the BBC for calling ISIS a state...that means we would have a real enemy we can blame....cant have that as that would offend even moderate muslims.

HOLA4415

Not surprising this war crime was covered up for decades and denied. After dropping the atomic bombs the Japanese has about 3 weeks of frantic paper burning to hide war crimes. And when the occupation came the Japanese themselves drafted in prostitutes to service US troops. The sex industry and war is something that isn't openly discussed, just brushed under the carpet.

The numbers are quite large, between 100,000 and 400,000 women where involved from the estimates I've seen given and if each woman lasted a year "in service" she could be raped between 10-40 times a day meaning women where systematically raped on an industrial scale between 365m and several billion times. Remember this excludes shall we see traditional war rape in which a city was ransacked and the women raped. The total number of rapes committed by the Japanese in the war will probably be well in excess of 5 billion.

HOLA4416

This 'minority' need a special name to deflect abuse....like Nipponazis or something.

racist on one count, unspeakable on the other..try, fluffy nice people who lived in a land called Nippon

HOLA4417

Not surprising this war crime was covered up for decades and denied. After dropping the atomic bombs the Japanese has about 3 weeks of frantic paper burning to hide war crimes. And when the occupation came the Japanese themselves drafted in prostitutes to service US troops. The sex industry and war is something that isn't openly discussed, just brushed under the carpet.

The numbers are quite large, between 100,000 and 400,000 women where involved from the estimates I've seen given and if each woman lasted a year "in service" she could be raped between 10-40 times a day meaning women where systematically raped on an industrial scale between 365m and several billion times. Remember this excludes shall we see traditional war rape in which a city was ransacked and the women raped. The total number of rapes committed by the Japanese in the war will probably be well in excess of 5 billion.

I am told by westerners living in Japan that it is still largely covered up by their education system. At school Japanese children are taught in detail about the horrors of the A-bombs with no mention of the war crimes. I lived their for three months and one colleague told me that all the stories about the treatment of POWs by them were just propaganda (this was in 1994)

HOLA4418

As far as I am concerned, those A bombs were the best thing since sliced bread.

My Dad was on his way home after 3 years in the Mediterranean in order to get ready to go to the Pacific.

I clearly remember my Mother's joy when we realised that it was all over and he would not have to go.

My cousin was in a Jap prison camp. He did survive but never regained his health. He died in 1947

HOLA4419

Well, there`s a video somewhere on Youtube about what happened in Nanking. An ex Japanese soldier was being interviewed about what happened.

He said that they would stuff petrol soaked rags into the vaginas of Chinese women and light them.

They would also force Chinese people to have sex, then shoot the man at the moment of climax.

It was their custom to build a very large fire when they took over a new town. `Just for a laugh` they would get a baby and throw it on.

No wonder the Chinese are upset.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Come on guys, its not "the Japanese" at fault here, its just a nasty minority.

You cant judge a japanese on what just a few did to each other.

Thats racist.

Isnt it?

Note to self: silly me, this applies only to Muslims of course. Its only other groups that have a nasty minority set on killing other group members for whom we can condemn the whole group. Oh, and that group has to be a state...probably why our Government leader said he was cross with the BBC for calling ISIS a state...that means we would have a real enemy we can blame....cant have that as that would offend even moderate muslims.

Islam is an ideology. A nasty one at that.

Japanese isnt an ideology. You dont have to view women as subhuman to be Japanese. It certainly helps if you want to be a good Muslim.

HOLA4422

I am told by westerners living in Japan that it is still largely covered up by their education system. At school Japanese children are taught in detail about the horrors of the A-bombs with no mention of the war crimes. I lived their for three months and one colleague told me that all the stories about the treatment of POWs by them were just propaganda (this was in 1994)

Things have clearly changed as I have seen numerous debates regarding the comfort women issue as it is frequently on the news. There was also a recent programme I saw regarding the death railway with interviews with British survivors.

I haven't read their textbooks so cannot comment. I have read the Chinese ones though and given that their version of history is China Great, Foreigner Bad (and Stoopid) I dont have much sympathy for their complaints. Koreans I don't know much about.

HOLA4423

Koreans I don't know much about.

Gord's World Tour

At various subway stations in Korea, they often are decorated with school art projects at different times of the year. Fire safety, future jobs, home life, technology, and so on.

The theme of this one appears to be "F*** Japan!" ....

2ijhiys.jpg

2gskazd.jpg

HOLA4424

Japanese isnt an ideology. You dont have to view women as subhuman to be Japanese. It certainly helps if you want to be a good Muslim.

If we're talking about Japan from 1868-1945 'state Shinto' arguably was a religion/ ideology, which the majority of people living in Japan apparently bought into, or at least went along with.

And when the 'living God' instructed soldiers to commit suicide rather than be captured or for women to chuck themselves and their babies off cliffs, such as in Saipan, thousands of them did.

And when you look at the Japanese killed/ wounded/ captured stats from battles like Peleliu (11,000 killed, 200 captured)/ Iwo Jima (19,000+ killed, 200 prisoners) we don't seem to be talking a minority here.

In contrast, when Singapore fell to the Japanese, Allied forces suffered something like 5,000 killed/ wounded, 80,000 captured, plus another 50,000 captured on the way to Singapore, surrendering to a Japanese Army of about 35,000. That's not me suggesting the Japanese army was fabulous or anything but the contempt soldiers with that mindset would have had for their POWs was probably extreme.

edit: and then the Emperor (sort of ) declared he wasn't a god in 1946 and it was Hello Kitty time.

HOLA4425

As far as I am concerned, those A bombs were the best thing since sliced bread.

My Dad was on his way home after 3 years in the Mediterranean in order to get ready to go to the Pacific.

I clearly remember my Mother's joy when we realised that it was all over and he would not have to go.

My cousin was in a Jap prison camp. He did survive but never regained his health. He died in 1947

I've long held that view. Japan started the Pacific war and if using the A bomb save only one Allied life the use was justified.

Archived