House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spyguy

Anyone Else Noticing An Uptick In Builders Going Bust?

Yes... there's a strange one just up the road from me, it was supposed to be a development of 8 properties, the builder cleared all the land and built the first 2 properties, then all went very quiet for a couple of months, now the 2 properties and the remaining undeveloped land have all been put up for sale as a job lot.

Can't really understand why they didn't just sell off the 2 completed properties then use the funds to carry on building the rest of the development?

Yes... there's a strange one just up the road from me, it was supposed to be a development of 8 properties, the builder cleared all the land and built the first 2 properties, then all went very quiet for a couple of months, now the 2 properties and the remaining undeveloped land have all been put up for sale as a job lot.

Can't really understand why they didn't just sell off the 2 completed properties then use the funds to carry on building the rest of the development?

I would imagine that was the plan ,but could not sell the completed 2 auction is the last chance saloon now the banks are

Not round here (Croydon) they're not. I am currently looking for builders for an extension/refurb, anyone with a decent track record has plenty of work and according to our achitect builders generally have massively raised their prices over the last 12-18 months.

I wonder if the recovery is just made up bull####

It's made up for sure. Wouldn't be surprised if TPTB would of liked a war by now to cover up a collapse. The cracks are showing and the HTB paint only covers them up for so long :P

In my old town there is a development of flats which appears to have stopped dead.

Edited by Assume The Opposite

It's made up for sure. Wouldn't be surprised if TPTB would of liked a war by now to cover up a collapse. The cracks are showing and the HTB paint only covers them up for so long :P

In my old town there is a development of flats which appears to have stopped dead.

Consumer confidence at 15 year high......

Ah, so that's why they're flooding the country with immigrants. A pre-planned civil war.

If only...

Down here (south west) its booming, Ive got more work than ever

Can't really get good builders in Nottingham unless you are prepared to go on a three month waiting list. As for plumbers, well just had to go on a British Gas plan, no chance of assistance otherwise.

Like all aspects of skilled manual labour there is a chronic shortage. But that's possibly because of university, and tbh that's training people to an academic level that really isn't required and is at saturation point. Some of the degrees look more llike common knowlege to me, I can't see the point; we could all lay claim to being geographers, economists, historians , political analyists, literary critics etc. etc.

Seems like posters are talking developers and tradesmen at cross purposes.

Yes. I mean builders rather than tradesmen.

Those who say trade is booming for builders (i.e. tradesmen who do building work?), what kind of work are you/they doing?

Is it that people are having things done to places they already live in, rather than moving?

I get offered quite a few cancelled orders of stuff like 10,000 pairs of internal door handles that were destined for a national housebuilder. By the time the cost of reworking into retail packaging is factored in it's never worth it.

As far as hard to find tradesmen go I think there's all sorts of distortions in the market at play rather than the economy booming. For heating plumbers, why have the aggro of spending an hour trying to fix Joe Public's boiler, to no avail, only for them to chunter about paying the callout, when you could just fill the day with easy money landlord safety checks. Same for sparkies and pat testing.

Then on top of that I wouldn't be surprised if there's not some tax credit type reason behind them not wanting to put too many hours in, or some such.

I do definitely know of two large, national type, contractors that took on a lot of the costs expanding to do work on the olympics that have struggled with work in subsequent years.

Sadly it usually seems to be their own terrible cash management...ie buying the latest Range Rover instead of paying suppliers than an indication of the state of the housing market.

So many seem to somehow go bankrupt and yet resume trading under a different (wifes?) name within a few months.

Sadly it usually seems to be their own terrible cash management...ie buying the latest Range Rover instead of paying suppliers than an indication of the state of the housing market.

So many seem to somehow go bankrupt and yet resume trading under a different (wifes?) name within a few months.

In fairness it's one of those industries where if the customer goes pop you'll go pop. Also if there's any dispute with the customer and they withhold payment the bills will still have to be paid whilst it creeps through the small claims court.

Having said that, you're right there's plenty that like nothing more than taking some cash upfront, for materials, then swinging by and lobbing a few bags of cement, in your driveway, before disappearing to Tenerife for two weeks on your money.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49037770.html?premiumA=true

02/07/2015
Price changed: Guide Price £1,650,000 £1,500,000
26/04/2015
Status changed: from 'Premium Listing' to 'Stunning Views'
26/03/2015
Initial entry found.
Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Premium Listing'
"Fulbrook Edge is a property that is mid way through construction situated on the

escapement above Sherbourne looking to the south over the valley below back towards South Warwickshire. Standing in 7.5 acres, the
property and grounds offer a great
combination. The construction of the property has been halted and offers the opportunity for a purchaser to complete the project under a new building firm to their own specification."

I shouldnt...but..... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It's not like 2007 at all....it's much much worse.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere