House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Sky Calls For Competition Inquiry Into Uk Broadband Market

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/06/29/uk-britain-telecoms-sky-plc-idUKKCN0P919420150629

Sky (SKYB.L) has called for a competition inquiry into Britain's broadband market where it says BT (BT.L), the market leader whose network it relies on, has an effective monopoly.

Sky said in a submission to telecoms regulator Ofcom on Monday that it believed a history of under-investment in BT's infrastructure business, Openreach, had led to problems such as network faults and long waits for new lines to be installed. Openreach operates and maintains Britain's telecoms network.

Sky said it regarded the issues it raised as sufficient for Ofcom, which is itself carrying out a review of the sector, to ask the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) to conduct an inquiry into BT's Openreach division.

I wonder if this was said with any hint of irony from the monopoly paid TV provider?

Is there anything stopping another satellite company giving it a go in the UK though ?

Is there anything stopping another satellite company giving it a go in the UK though ?

Or for that matter another telecoms/broadband supplier.

Investors are lining up to fund an outbid against Sky for the premium content. They use profits from many other activities to crowd out anyone else from competing in satellite TV broadcasting. Much the same as Microsoft in desktop OS market.

Edited by PatientlyWaiting

the internet is gonna kill sky, you can have virtually every permium internet subscription service for the price of shit murdoch space tele.

Not with crap infrastructure, speeds and capacity.

(Oh, and service. Now on week 2 of no internet. Virgin couldn't sell ice cream in the sahara. No interest in taking my money at all. I'm sure all ISPs have similar stories. And this is the SALES dept....)

Edited by chronyx

Not with crap infrastructure, speeds and capacity.

(Oh, and service. Now on week 2 of no internet. Virgin couldn't sell ice cream in the sahara. No interest in taking my money at all. I'm sure all ISPs have similar stories. And this is the SALES dept....)

LOL the UK is ******ing hilarious.

I forget as now I orientate the house i get towards where i get best internet 70mb+ im getting here. Place is a ******ing shithole but internet is good!

Rule of the uk is that the shitty the area the better the takeaway and internet :)

I couldnt get sky at my last house becuase of a tree!

Anecdotally my parents came across this issue first hand.

Before their local exchange was upgraded to super-fast broadband they used to have a reliable 2meg internet connection.

Since the upgrade the connection drops out and the speeds at times are painfully slow, even for web browsing.

Response from the ISP was to upgrade to superfast (for a pretty massive premium). When they looked at changing ISP it seems that all the ISPs in their area piggy-back the same service provider, so switching would make no difference. Their only choice is pay superfast prices, or not get reliable internet.

A bit more competition in this area might not be a bad thing.

Couple of comments.

Where are they that superfast is at a premium? I thought it was generally in the same ballpark as ADSL of a few years back.

What about the alternatives? Cable and 4G in urban areas, or satellite more-or-less anywhere other than down a steep valley?

There's no real competition in this area. Everything comes through the BT exchanges, so you have to go through BT's equipment no matter what. Much like the energy companies the only power the 'consumer' has is to choose who sends them the bill.

OFCOM or whoever create the illusion of a 'market' by forcing BT's ISP to act in the same way as the others. But broadband is a utility like gas or water or electric and there's only one set of infrastructure.

If you're lucky enough to live in an area with cable you might have one other option. But cable coverage is nowhere near universal, even in cities with provision. I remember one flat I rented was literally on the wrong side of the road to get cable.

Nothing a copper nail couldn't have sorted? ;)

I had a leylandii blocking my sky connection last year. Waited until the neighbours went on holiday and banded it, then drilled a hole in the back where they wouldn't see, and filled it with tree killer. It damaged it, about 50% of it is dead, but it still survives. They're now growing an oak tree next to it. When they go camping in August I'll be taking the chainsaw to it.

Before their local exchange was upgraded to super-fast broadband they used to have a reliable 2meg internet connection.

Since the upgrade the connection drops out and the speeds at times are painfully slow, even for web browsing.

Response from the ISP was to upgrade to superfast (for a pretty massive premium). When they looked at changing ISP it seems that all the ISPs in their area piggy-back the same service provider, so switching would make no difference. Their only choice is pay superfast prices, or not get reliable internet.

A bit more competition in this area might not be a bad thing.

i suspect they'll find the performance will settle down after a bit and then improve.

I had this with my BT Fibre - suspect it may be some tuning process, these technologies are quite sensitive to the path the signal takes.

If they're concerned about BTs monopoly of the infrastructure why don't they invest in their own???

Oh yeah, it costs a frigging fortune to lay and maintain.

The best outcome for the consumer would be ofcom forcing Virgin to open up the cable network. IMO this is what Sky really want and it would be a massive, massive game changer in UK broadband.

Couple of comments.

Where are they that superfast is at a premium? I thought it was generally in the same ballpark as ADSL of a few years back.

What about the alternatives? Cable and 4G in urban areas, or satellite more-or-less anywhere other than down a steep valley?

They live on Anglesey.. so yes.. sleepy valley type area.

I'm not sure exactly how much superfast would be for them, but believe it is considerably more than the standard "2 mb" line they have at the moment,

Sky should send up a satellite and deliver broadband from above.

Only help with part of your network traffic though (downloading).

You still need to "upload", for this reason satellite internet can never be a super-fast solution in the real sense.

Only help with part of your network traffic though (downloading).

You still need to "upload", for this reason satellite internet can never be a super-fast solution in the real sense.

Not strictly true.. not sure how these work exactly but you can get two way internet from a satellite system:

http://www.groundcontrol.com/maritime_satellite_internet.htm

It'll cost you about a quid a meg though :)