House Price Crash Forum

Iron Using Anxiety

chronyx

HOLA441

Just bought a new steam iron and the instructions say not to use deionised water. I live in a really hard water area though...and the deionised water bottle has a picture of an iron. :-S

Any ideas why they now say not to use it?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Looks like it.

I suppose the lack of mineral deposits on the inside of pipework actually increases the amount of corrosion. Weird but true?

See anodizing for a general overview.

What a great thing physics is. Reality is the truth!

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

An old London rhyming slang term for a person of gay inclinations...

Wotcha me China Plate, I was amazed ter find aahhht the true meanin' of iron, wot a mother's pearly gate world we bee 'ive in. daan't ya fin'?

HOLA4410

Looks like it.

I suppose the lack of mineral deposits on the inside of pipework actually increases the amount of corrosion. Weird but true?

See anodizing for a general overview.

What a great thing physics is. Reality is the truth!

Interesting, I wouldn't really have considered that.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

So it's red rusty clothes or white dandruff streaks. decisions, decisions.

Can you use distilled water?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/health-beauty/dp/B0035FF28M

only £22.63 for 5.5lts.

Or look like a tramp? :lol:

If anything's too dry, which is usually most of it, I just use one of the spray bottles they sell for spraying house plants. Works fine and no faffing with filling up irons. Have done this for years.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I have an iron, but I never fill it up, as it might be dangerous! I too am originally from Cockney land! I'm never going back.

HOLA4416
Guest eight

I have an iron, but I never fill it up, as it might be dangerous! I too am originally from Cockney land! I'm never going back.

Your decision, or theirs?

HOLA4417

Your decision, or theirs?

I could't think about London as a place to live! I can't get a good knees-up around the joanna in the rub-a-dub! It's all mosques and mini-marts now!

HOLA4418

Is that true? I'm a chemist and I can't think of any reason why that would be the case.

It's often reported. I've even spoken to an industrial corrosion consultant who claimed that it was true, but I didn't ask any technical details.

I can't think of a reason why it should be true.

But then, there are a lot of myths about distilled/de-ionised water - e.g. it leaches minerals from your body.

HOLA4419

It's often reported. I've even spoken to an industrial corrosion consultant who claimed that it was true, but I didn't ask any technical details.

I can't think of a reason why it should be true.

But then, there are a lot of myths about distilled/de-ionised water - e.g. it leaches minerals from your body.

What? From ironing shirts? :wacko:

HOLA4420

It's often reported. I've even spoken to an industrial corrosion consultant who claimed that it was true, but I didn't ask any technical details. I can't think of a reason why it should be true. But then, there are a lot of myths about distilled/de-ionised water - e.g. it leaches minerals from your body.

I have loads of deionised water in big drums for forklift batteries so thought it would be a good idea to take a half empty one home and then fill it with antifreeze as engine coolant - thinking it would be better for the engine not having all the calcium/fluoride etc. of tap water - when I researched it again consensus seemed to be, based on experimenting with different coolant compositions, that deionised resulted in more corrosion in radiators/pipes than tap water

HOLA4421

Just bought a new steam iron and the instructions say not to use deionised water. I live in a really hard water area though...and the deionised water bottle has a picture of an iron. :-S Any ideas why they now say not to use it?

By making a decision and actually buying something you are a better man than most of us.

HOLA4422

I have loads of deionised water in big drums for forklift batteries so thought it would be a good idea to take a half empty one home and then fill it with antifreeze as engine coolant - thinking it would be better for the engine not having all the calcium/fluoride etc. of tap water - when I researched it again consensus seemed to be, based on experimenting with different coolant compositions, that deionised resulted in more corrosion in radiators/pipes than tap water

I use it in the bike and the van for the same reasons (And thinking it was 'the best way') - surely the corrosion inhibitors would stop that?

HOLA4423

I should also state that the manual also says:

"Due to the high power of this steam iron please make sure your mains supply is sufficient. Please contact your local electricity supply company to make sure that the so called mains impedance is not higher than 0.32 ohms"

I'm an electrician and know this is clearly nonsense and someone has got the wrong end of a few correct sticks. :D

HOLA4424

I use it in the bike and the van for the same reasons (And thinking it was 'the best way') - surely the corrosion inhibitors would stop that?

Originally, as a big customer, I asked Tetrosyl (who do both ready mixed antifreeze and deionised water as part of their range) who were frankly no help. Then mentioned it to someone who works on a motoring magazine and turned out they'd lived and breathed it for six months as they were doing a big feature on it and commissioned quite a bit of experimenting and had concluded deionised water was a bad idea over tap water.

HOLA4425

Archived