House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Si1

Is Hpi Bubble Sentiment A Bit Reminiscent Of'invasion Of The Body Snatchers'

Eg. I spend my days trying to blend in so as not to offend the hpi forever boomsters, and dare not speak out due to fear of implications of being outed, this is amongst family and friends and I have even limited my job ambitions just to avoid those situations

Am I alone in being so secretive?

IOTBS`ers is a good comparison, it was like that for a long time, but now many people have twigged that it isn`t sustainable, and something is very f*ucked up with house prices. People in the UK are so controlled and shut down nowadays, looking into their phone the whole time they are out and about for example, that when it blows there is going to be some bad emotional stuff happening out there IMO.

I tell it like it is, people, the stupid ones, don't want to hear it though

Same here ,there`s very few that look at me like i got two heads now compared to a few years ago ,IMO the generational gap is closing in rapidly now

Many are realising their offspring are well and truly fecked as they them selves are now starting to struggle

Edited by long time lurking

Same here ,there`s very few that look at me like i got two heads now compared to a few years ago ,IMO the generational gap is closing in rapidly now

Many are realising their offspring are well and truly fecked as they them selves are now starting to struggle

That's not my experience. Brother-in-law's parents want more and more HPI. HPI wealth defines them.

ou6tdx.jpg

For those who don't remember the source.

eco_1379698c.jpg

Eg. I spend my days trying to blend in so as not to offend the hpi forever boomsters, and dare not speak out due to fear of implications of being outed, this is amongst family and friends and I have even limited my job ambitions just to avoid those situations

This is basically the entire story of my life, and so my insight may not translate that well; but hey - it helps to share this sort of shit. This pattern is a common problem when somebody more powerful than you is driving a self re-enforcing belief by affecting the world in a way where they see the benefits and you see see the problems. The cycle didn't start that way as nobody probably cared that much either way and they wouldn't have done what they do now then - but because their side has more power they have driven the cycle until the secondary effects of their self interest cause significant problems. They can't deny these problems and can only accept them by understanding they come from their own actions or by finding a reason to believe they are unconnected or unimportant. At extremes this may become a reason not to care about the people and effects they have effected as they value you less than the effects (wars start when you run out of powerless people to blame). Generally cycles like this continue until the world kicks back harder enough to destroy the power of the morons that perpetuated it. There is no guarantee you will be alive to see that of course ... just be happy it will happen.

When strongly committed to a self re-enforcing cycle most people will become very aggressive when exposed to reality as it threatens something of great value to them (obviously). You'll usually only a find a very small number of people who really are that dissonant and most people will be less powerful so value hurting you less than the benefit to somebody more powerful. It is a fantastic opportunity to undermine the power of the morons if you have a lot of patience by not agreeing or arguing on the point with the worst offenders, but spreading doubt. However, you commonly find they have enough power to ignore the escalating consequences for longer than you expect - 2008 is a wonderful example. This makes the consequences far far worse for you and makes you certain the cycle is their fault ... but their pain is still deferred..

Of course, you can't win short term against the more powerful or they wouldn't be behaving like that - so don't try. If you must - Sarcasm is your friend here .. try saying things like "Of course everybody wants to own a house because they only go up in value .. but I just can't afford a house" and see if they are susceptible to the obvious flaw in the argument. If not they've got an excuse and already think badly of you because you don't own a house and are willing to beat you with their power any time (they may pretend to sympathise with you - but if the cards go down I guarantee they don't). If they do then you have somebody you can confront right up to the "you think I'm worthless argument." which most people have been taught to fear because it is the first sign of a fight. Watch out though - any successful attempts at undermining more powerful people will have their cause and effect misunderstood so don't get the knives out till your sure it's worth the risk or they won't realise they are wrong until after they destroy you.

Well, I feel better - I hope your not confused - I just usually have to play this game completely alone and even when I win - it's horrible when I get power because I hate the people I got it from so have be "nicer," than they were. No wonder people plant bombs.

Edited by Kinky John

Why the need to be secretive? I love having the HPI debate as often as possible. Come to think of it, I've damaged a couple of my personal relationships through my argumentative nature, but I don't care.

I think it is quite a personal matter.

My instinct is that because so many layers of unwarranted assumption must be peeled back before some HPI forever idiot can see the matter from a different perspective it is one of those situations where there is little to be gained setting out your alternative perspective unless the other individual is genuinely interested in it.

In any social context where there are people I don't know well I'll generally limit myself to micro-gestures and tone of voice, so if somebody told me that house prices were going to continue to march away at 15% per annum for the next five years I'd probably go with a slight tilt of the head and an "Oh, right?" with a hint of questioning intonation. If that was enough to set them bugging me with things that they'd read of a HPC nature, I might show a little bit of leg, so to speak, and see how far down the rabbit hole they wanted to run, but I'd be agreeing and embroidering, not leading - essentially confirming to them that they were not the only one who thought that there was something wrong with the world.

With people you have to deal with (friends, family, colleagues) I think that if there's any potential for disagreement, it's best left alone as it can be ludicrously inflammatory because of the insane pwoperdee madness in the general populace and the extent to which people have so much of their identity invested in money they borrowed from a crap bank to buy a crap house.

The fact that a non-trivial number of people will be between a rock and hard place with a big interest-only mortgage, no pension provision and no repayment plan means that you are also running the risk of taking them to a very dark corner of their mind which they are coping with by ignoring.

Good idea for a thread; thanks for starting it.

... people have so much of their identity invested in money they borrowed from a crap bank to buy a crap house....

Brilliant. A quote for our times. :)

I used to be quiet about it, but now I just don't care. I go in hard and hateful with as many mind ****** facts as I can. Gems like "property in Japan went down by over 70%. No one saw that coming" or "My grandad bought a house in fulham on driver wages. The same house now goes for 1.5 million. Same house, same bricks. Now owned by a non-dom foreigner" or "the average graduate will start their working career with a debt of over 50,000 pounds. Imagine if you started your life with that debt - would you have been able to buy your first place?" or my favourite "there is no housing ladder in a world with low inflation; your starter flat doubles from 100k to 200k, the next house goes from 200k to 400k. You will never save enough to trade up. Ever. It's simple maths"

I never follow up, never explain, just let the facts eat away at their blindness. I do it in the hope that a small sliver of reality may creep into some brains.

I used to be quiet about it, but now I just don't care. I go in hard and hateful with as many mind ****** facts as I can. Gems like "property in Japan went down by over 70%. No one saw that coming" or "My grandad bought a house in fulham on driver wages. The same house now goes for 1.5 million. Same house, same bricks. Now owned by a non-dom foreigner" or "the average graduate will start their working career with a debt of over 50,000 pounds. Imagine if you started your life with that debt - would you have been able to buy your first place?" or my favourite "there is no housing ladder in a world with low inflation; your starter flat doubles from 100k to 200k, the next house goes from 200k to 400k. You will never save enough to trade up. Ever. It's simple maths"

I never follow up, never explain, just let the facts eat away at their blindness. I do it in the hope that a small sliver of reality may creep into some brains.

Do you do that to your colleagues and bosses?

Currently tolerating family boomers slapping younger family members on the back for getting into their eyeballs in mortgage debt. I daren't speak.

Do you do that to your colleagues and bosses?

Yup. I have a 'feck off fund' which means I am not terrified of losing my job, plus I am lucky enough to work in a culture where outspoken challenge to groupthink is not suppressed. I recently had a long discussions with my boss about why buying is insanity for anyone not looking to stay in one place for 10+ years due to taxes and risk of HPC, and there was no rancour on either side.

the one time I did get in kinda trouble at a previous job was when a colleague was showing off her 25,000 AUD engagement ring, I knew her boyfriend earned 60,000 a year from his mechanic job, and I said how mental it was to spend almost a whole years post tax income on a diamond. That got me serious daggerkill looks from ALL women in that office.

I've seen this film. When going through the transformation they actually create lots of bubbles. Here's a screen shot from the film:

50084158871644679110.png

Amusing co-incidence, it's a good film I would recommend watching it.

I've seen this film. When going through the transformation they actually create lots of bubbles. Here's a screen shot from the film:

50084158871644679110.png

Amusing co-incidence, it's a good film I would recommend watching it.

Frothing at the mouth NIMBYs?