House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBlueCat

Comment Is Free Craziness

I've been running an experiment of sorts using the Guardian website comments section. I've been trying to figure out how crazy a post needs to be before people will ignore it as obviously a wind-up. The problem is that, at least when it comes to political issues, there is no 'too crazy' as far as I can tell. One of my most liked posts to date is this one:

As I've said before, there should be a 100% wealth tax on all income above the living wage with the proceeds to go to a European solidarity fund.

I suppose people could be liking it for ironic reasons, but the comments around it suggest otherwise. It shows just what sane centrist politicians are up against.

Try something along the lines of:

To increase social mobility, children of the 1% should be barred from entering key professions such as politics, law and banking.

I think I may well have said something similar to that as well, I'll have to check back. The button-pusher seems to be, from my observations so far, anything that involves taking physical goods from people. So confiscation of property, 100% tax rates and the like will usually get a big cheer from CIF.

Mate of mine used to troll Comment Is Free with extreme right wing comments that were obviously ridiculous, but they always took the bait and went mental debating him.

Re. irony on the internet, I've formulated a new internet rule which I'm calling 'the George Washington principle' wherein:

Any attempt at irony in a forum thread - however outlandish - will be followed up in no more than 5 replies with a completely sincere response from an American.

Re. irony on the internet, I've formulated a new internet rule which I'm calling 'the George Washington principle' wherein: Any attempt at irony in a forum thread - however outlandish - will be followed up in no more than 5 replies with a completely sincere response from an American.

Probably all Alanis Morrisette under different usernames.

I wonder if you could get a whole article published:

"It's time to end cis-class privilege

I was born in Islington as the son of a banker and a corporate lawyer. Despite these handicaps I have always empathised with the struggle of the working class and identified myself with the proletariat.

You'd think they would be grateful that someone with my background is on their side. Far from it. On the last anti-austerity march I attended I was called a 'stuck-up tosser' and an 'over-privileged ******', among the more repeatable insults.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have the unimpeachable authenticity that comes from being able to claim to have ancestors who worked the soil or dug up coal. For those of us born into the wrong class this is a daily battle. Our peers mock our desire for the poor to be given the same rights to attend finishing school in Switzerland, while the down-trodden with whom we identify fail to recognise our true selves. I yearn to be able to shed the baggage of my birth in the same way that we accept trans-gendered people into our community.

Sadly class reassignment is not available. So next time before you say those words or hit send on that tweet, check your cis-class privilege and ask yourself whether the target of your abuse isn't just as much of a prole as you under the skin. Or we might stop bothering."

Isn't CIF a bit of a misnomer. The comments section usually has at least 50% of the posts deleted for 'breaking the house rules' in some way.

I can only conclude that the guardian censors are extraordinarily zealous or guardian readers are all brimming with hatred and bile, possibly both!

Probably all Alanis Morrisette under different usernames.

It's true that she complete fails to understand the difference between bad luck and irony but I still think she's great. And in her defence she was in Dogma which has to count as at least a little bit ironic doesn't it?

It's true that she complete fails to understand the difference between bad luck and irony but I still think she's great. And in her defence she was in Dogma which has to count as at least a little bit ironic doesn't it?

to be fair to Alan Morris, I think she is referencing Situational Irony, which is a different thing:

Oxford English Dictionary:

3. A state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what was or might be expected; an outcome cruelly, humorously, or strangely at odds with assumptions or expectations.

I wonder if you could get a whole article published:

"It's time to end cis-class privilege

I was born in Islington as the son of a banker and a corporate lawyer. Despite these handicaps I have always empathised with the struggle of the working class and identified myself with the proletariat.

You'd think they would be grateful that someone with my background is on their side. Far from it. On the last anti-austerity march I attended I was called a 'stuck-up tosser' and an 'over-privileged ******', among the more repeatable insults.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have the unimpeachable authenticity that comes from being able to claim to have ancestors who worked the soil or dug up coal. For those of us born into the wrong class this is a daily battle. Our peers mock our desire for the poor to be given the same rights to attend finishing school in Switzerland, while the down-trodden with whom we identify fail to recognise our true selves. I yearn to be able to shed the baggage of my birth in the same way that we accept trans-gendered people into our community.

Sadly class reassignment is not available. So next time before you say those words or hit send on that tweet, check your cis-class privilege and ask yourself whether the target of your abuse isn't just as much of a prole as you under the skin. Or we might stop bothering."

That is excellent - a bit of work and I think you could get it published.

I used to be a fan of the Guardian - but frankly large parts of it are now every bit as bonkers as the Mail.

Have been tempted to start a comment campaign complaining about practically every article triggering some deep trauma and asking the Guardian to label articles appropriately or provide online safe spaces to discuss how I'm feeling eg an article on keeping gold fish, acting as a trigger for a particularly traumatic fish bone choking incident.

Re. irony on the internet, I've formulated a new internet rule which I'm calling 'the George Washington principle' wherein:

Any attempt at irony in a forum thread - however outlandish - will be followed up in no more than 5 replies with a completely sincere response from an American.

You have to be very polite as a Brit, on American forums. Obviously I always am, but I can get away with a lot of "dirt" here. Clearly we are a "Nation of Pisstakers"! Don't try it on a USA forum!

The world is full of people with crazy opinions and they can't all be wind-ups, so it gets rather hard to spot the ones who aren't genuine. To be honest I find it hard to imagine that the percentage who isn't crazy is better than 10%, and that's being generous.

My Facebook feed is full of people celebrating gay marriage in America. While I certainly agree that gay people should get married if they want to, I'm really struggling to see why straight people in England feel such triumphalism about it, like it's been "their struggle" or something. Bizarre.

My Facebook feed is full of people celebrating gay marriage in America. While I certainly agree that gay people should get married if they want to, I'm really struggling to see why straight people in England feel such triumphalism about it, like it's been "their struggle" or something. Bizarre.

Yes it reminds me of British youth going on about the 'feds'.

I'm trying to think of the right words to respond to all those. Something like 'YAY! well done America! I must have missed the celebrations from my Muslim friends in France #priorities' - something that highlights the idiocy of all the focus on gay marriage when people are getting their heads chopped off in France by a culture that will kill every gay if they can

to be fair to Alan Morris, I think she is referencing Situational Irony, which is a different thing:

Oxford English Dictionary:

3. A state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what was or might be expected; an outcome cruelly, humorously, or strangely at odds with assumptions or expectations.

I'm going to use Occam's Razor and go for pure ignorance.

Straight marriage should be banned!