House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fairyland

Weird Waitrose Experiences

I want to know if it is just me, am I reading too much, anyone else had this experience before -

Experience 1. Went to Waitrose in the evening. Bread reduced in price. Reduction didn't come up on till. Supervisor was called. Reduction was done. Noticed reduction varied few points from what was labelled on shelf. Actual price paid less than full price but still few pence more than offer price. Decided to ignore.

Experience 2. Bread reduced in price. Reduction came on till, less than full price but few pence more than offer price on shelf.

Experience 3. Usually I don't check my receipts but I thought of returning something so I checked receipt, one of the offers didn't go through. Didn't bother going back though as I will waste more in petrol charges.

Experience 4. Cereal bars, offer on shelf: any two bars for £x. Brought 10 of them 4 pairs went through offer, remaining two full price. Asked the till operator. As usual, till operator didn't know anything, called supervisor who took a looooong time to come. People waiting behind me. Thought of giving up 50p is not worth the fuss? But decided to stay. Supervisor came in showing a big hurry. We will do it this time and rushed back before I could say anything. I was shocked and surprised !!!! I am not looking for a favour I thought. Why do they put wrong labels????

This has a happened quite a few times. I wonder if it is coincidence? If 9 out 10 customers don't check their receipts then 50p x 9 = £4.5. And I am sure there are many more sales than 10.

Making a fuss

You’re at the supermarket. You get to the checkout, and pay. You look at your bill and find you’ve been overcharged, by some trivial amount. Do you let it pass, or stand on a point of principle?

Related questions: do you take advantage of regular offers, such as buy several of something and get a discount? Do you buy some items purely on price, because you don’t see the difference between different brands? If you answered yes to either of those, you need to stand on principle when the discrepancy at the checkout wipes out your saving.

Today it was beer. I only occasionally buy beer to drink at home, but when I do, I usually go for a four bottles for a fiver offer. That gives me mix-and-match from a good selection of premium ales. But they must be the £1.49 bottles: don’t get caught out by similar beers at other prices, whether higher or indeed lower. I carefully selected four bottles at £1.49: three that I know and like, and one unknown.

Checking my till receipt, there was no reduction for the offer. Checking more carefully, one of the bottles was shown as £1.59, invalidating the whole thing. So I’ve overpaid by a trivial £1.06. But more critically, there goes my offer, and my whole incentive to buy participating brands. Bah, Humbug.

Being something of an obstreperous fool (and seeing no queue there), I marched up to customer services and complained. The lady accompanied me to the beer shelf with my receipt, and we verified that the beer in question was indeed marked at £1.49. As was everything else on the same shelf for some way around, including one of the other bottles I’d picked up. The lady spent some time determining that the labelling was indeed wrong, and agreed to refund me the difference. But no sign of relabelling it so as not to catch out other shoppers: she removed the wrong label, leaving it surrounded by other £1.49 labels.

I think this is actually happening quite a lot. The only part of the bill I’d notice it on are those where I’ve taken advantage of a multibuy or similar offer, or bought purely on price, and that’s by no means unusual (last time it was tinned tomatos, which I’d selected on price). Trivial amounts, but they add up, and if lots of shoppers do the same, it could materially affect the producers of competing products.

What happens when someone from Trading Standards gets the same? Or are they off-duty when shopping, and can’t be arsed to do or say anything?

Waitrose do not combine offers anymore so if you buy something that has a reduced sticker and an offer (eg. buy 3 for £6), you will not get the offer £2 each minus the discount. They used to do it but their systems have changed (I spoke to the manager of my local branch recently). However, apparently you can use discount stickers on individual items in conjunction with their new "choose your own offers" policy (according to same manager). I would assume that your problems are just caused by the specific Waitrose having issues with it's own tills. As far as I know each store is responsible for setting its tills and discounts/offers etc.

Noticed that the combined offers on reduced stuff at Morrisons also stopped working as of this week. It used to say multi-buy didn't apply on the sticker but it actually did. Gutted that its not working at Waitrose anymore as on some occasions i've had to buy extra stuff because I was worried the final price would be a credit...

Always check your receipts. Filling up at Sainsbury's yesterday, I used a 12p off a litre. They took it off, then put it back on again. I asked him to check, he said it was fine, I said 58.44 was the price it was mean to be, not after discount. In the end, I gt the £6 off, but it's happening a lot.

Shouldn't there be a tenuous connection with house prices to be in this subforum?

House prices apparently rise in value when a Waitrose opens nearby. Apparently no estate agent ever stopped to think that it might be because Waitrose tend to site their new stores in up and coming areas.

Tenuous enough? :)

I always use the self-service tills for this reason - so I can check the prices that items are going through at. Receipts are scrutinised before leaving the shop and on average we find an error every fifth time.

Waitrose had to change their system re out of date discounts combined with mutlibuy discounts. Last year we bought three bags of spuds which were about to go out of date for 40p each. The original multibuy offer had been £2 off when you buy three. The till processed both deals, and instead of us paying £1.20, the lady opened the cash desk and gave us 80p...

Biggest moan at the moment re deals is Morrisons' new points scheme. This compares the prices of what you've bought relative to other supermarkets and gives you the difference in points if your shopping could have been cheaper elsewhere. All good in principle. Buying one about to go out of date discounted item however brings the whole value of your basket down and nullifies the potential savings they offer. Cheeky. We therefore separate any discounted items from the rest of the basket and buy them in a separate transaction.

Other random observations - I'm shocked at how financially illiterate many supermarket staff are. Several times I've had to point out deals that haven't been applied to our bill and they can't understand what I'm talking about. Bought 5 cans of soup - 45p each or five for £2. We got charged £2.25. Complained at the customer service desk and explained what had happened. The staff member scanned one tin and gave us back 45p...

I also only use the self-service tills when I am buying a couple of items in Tesco. Staff at the cash desks have different views about whether you can claim the bonus green Clubcard point for not actually taking a bag (rather than producing one you brought along yourself). I don't have such an argument with the self-service tills.

Waitrose do not combine offers anymore so if you buy something that has a reduced sticker and an offer (eg. buy 3 for £6), you will not get the offer £2 each minus the discount. They used to do it but their systems have changed (I spoke to the manager of my local branch recently). However, apparently you can use discount stickers on individual items in conjunction with their new "choose your own offers" policy (according to same manager). I would assume that your problems are just caused by the specific Waitrose having issues with it's own tills. As far as I know each store is responsible for setting its tills and discounts/offers etc.

Waitrose do not combine offers anymore so if you buy something that has a reduced sticker and an offer (eg. buy 3 for £6), you will not get the offer £2 each minus the discount. They used to do it but their systems have changed

(I spoke to the manager of my local branch recently). However, apparently you can use discount stickers on individual items in conjunction with their new "choose your own offers" policy (according to same manager). I would assume that your problems are just caused by the specific Waitrose having issues with it's own tills. As far as I know each store is responsible for setting its tills and discounts/offers etc.

Those really were the good old days. :D

We used to have a small Waitrose express in the high st in Chester last year, with loads of reduced food. This closed as they spent millions opening a large one down the rd.

Strangely, on the odd occasion, I've been to the new large store, I've hardly seen anything reduced, and if so, only by a tiny amount

The best thing to do is put all multi buys, reductions and anomalies together first before the bulk of the main shop.......tell the cashier that is what you are doing and watch closely as they are passed through confirming each time that the discount was made, the price marked was the priced charged or the price charged was the price marked on the shelf......these actions will see that there is then less room for error. ;)

a person with a mega mortgage needs to get every deal he can...£1.49 could pay off hundreds of a mortgage at term what with compound interest and capital repaid early.

I had a similar thing at morrisons. mince meat reduced to 39p from £4 I picked up 2 got to the till and noticed that they were doing a 3 for £10 offer on them so went back and picked up another.

When I put it through the till it came up with 3X39P so £1.17 and then it put on a discount of £1.17 so I got £12 of mince meat for nothing. However I reckon they still owe me 83P.

Shouldn't there be a tenuous connection with house prices to be in this subforum?

It's house prices & the economy.

May I suggest the Mods should a thread titled" The big fat reduced shelf & foraging thread & combine some othere threads.

A lot of hpc'ers appear to be avid reduced shelf shoppers

here's a couple of suggested threadsto combine

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/203575-the-reduced-shelf-economy-booms-as-best-before-food-co-makes-l-millions/?hl=%2Breduced+%2Bshelf%20%20

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/204835-foraging-guide/page-3?hl=%2Breduced+%2Bshelf#entry1102724908

It's house prices & the economy.

May I suggest the Mods should a thread titled" The big fat reduced shelf & foraging thread & combine some othere threads.

A lot of hpc'ers appear to be avid reduced shelf shoppers

here's a couple of suggested threadsto combine

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/203575-the-reduced-shelf-economy-booms-as-best-before-food-co-makes-l-millions/?hl=%2Breduced+%2Bshelf%20%20

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/204835-foraging-guide/page-3?hl=%2Breduced+%2Bshelf#entry1102724908

And for other connoisseurs of the subject matter:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=119054

The reprogramming of the Waitrose tills to not apply the multibuy offers to discounted foods has devastated me! It was always the best foraging ground. Have spent rather less there in the last few weeks as a result. Luckily the freezer holds about 6 months of meat so won't go hungry for a while yet.

I had a similar thing at morrisons. mince meat reduced to 39p from £4 I picked up 2 got to the till and noticed that they were doing a 3 for £10 offer on them so went back and picked up another.

When I put it through the till it came up with 3X39P so £1.17 and then it put on a discount of £1.17 so I got £12 of mince meat for nothing. However I reckon they still owe me 83P.

I used to do similar with Waitrose minced lamb. They have it on offer normally, 3 for £10 (normally £3.99 for 500g). There are often reduced stickers so I would get the offer and then the price reduction which would end up making their lamb mince cheaper than Aldi's. Unfortunately they stopped all that so you can only get the offer or the discount. Plus they have recently put up the price of their macaroni cheese to buy 3 for £7 when it used to be £6 so I have stopped buying them.

Just a heads up that Iceland have diced beef for cheaper than Aldi and you get free delivery over £35. Their prices are much cheaper than Sainsburys, Tesco etc. They normally have a lot of good meat/poultry offers.

This is what the boomers voted for in the 80's. A country of service sector jobs.

I can say from previous job experience that the checkout workers are probably rarely or never on the shop floor, which doesn't help!

I still have childhood memories of when barcodes were a novelty and checkout staff could recall the price of any product they manually keyed in...

I still have childhood memories of when barcodes were a novelty and checkout staff could recall the price of any product they manually keyed in...

That was only in Kwik Save. The other supermarkets had price stickers on their goods, and the till ops had to check each one and key in the price manually.

I worked in more than one supermarket (holiday jobs) and I was a dab hand with a sticker gun. I could also actually calculate the correct change to give the customers in the days when the till didn't do it for you.

I am so feckin' old.

That was only in Kwik Save. The other supermarkets had price stickers on their goods, and the till ops had to check each one and key in the price manually.

I worked in more than one supermarket (holiday jobs) and I was a dab hand with a sticker gun. I could also actually calculate the correct change to give the customers in the days when the till didn't do it for you.

I am so feckin' old.

I remember that.....in the 70s when inflation was very high, when the price went up they used to stick a new sticker on top of an existing price sticker.....so a tin of beans would often have three or four stickers one on top of each other, if pealed back could see what the price was a few weeks or days previously......and yes the lady at the till would know if someone had tried to remove a couple of stickers......they knew their business. ;)