House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

The Network Rail Thread - Just How Much Will It Cost? £38.5Bn Not Enough

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33270586

The government says it will delay or cut back a number of modernisation projects planned for Network Rail.

Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin says rising costs and missed targets make the £38.5bn plan untenable.

He blamed Network Rail, saying it should have foreseen the improvements would cost more and take longer.

Labour said it had warned the government needed to change how the railways were run but had "dithered" over taking action.

Network Rail said the plan, which was launched last year as the "largest modernisation of the railways since Victorian times", was too ambitious.

Network Rail controls 2,500 stations as well as tracks, tunnels and level crossings.

The key routes affected are:

• Trans-Pennine route: York-Manchester, shelved
  • Midland main line: York-Sheffield, shelved
  • Great Western main line work will go ahead

Mr McLoughlin said electrification work would be "paused" on the Midland main line and on the Trans-Pennine route between Leeds and Manchester.

Just how much is this going to cost? £77bn?? £100bn??

Another outstanding success and it seems no one can actually give an accurate quote!

Trans-Pennine route: York-Manchester, shelved

Osborne just cancelled his Northern Sh1thouse to pay for Crossrail in London

Cheers, Gidiot.

Let me tell you how this one will pan out:

Network Rail will soon be re-privatised due to their 'failings' (and/or anything else the Government decides to accuse them of), upon which all the projects will get the green light again, the Government's buddies can get their snouts back into the trough, costs will escalate massively but nobody will be held to account and at the end of it all the job still won't be finished and any work that does get done will be half-arsed and incompatible with what exists. You heard it here first.........

Network Rail will soon be re-privatised due to their 'failings' (and/or anything else the Government decides to accuse them of), upon which all the projects will get the green light again, the Government's buddies can get their snouts back into the trough, costs will escalate massively but nobody will be held to account and at the end of it all the job still won't be finished and any work that does get done will be half-arsed and incompatible with what exists. You heard it here first.........

Just like last time then

+1

I think we will have 5 years of the few filling their boots, while we all 'look over there'.

So they privatised the best parts of the rail with fares but we as taxpayers kept the costly infrastructure?

Sounds familiar.. but where.. ? Ahhh yes. Selling off the cream of Royal Mail and we keep the pensions liabilities.

Brilliant. Just brilliant. The City will be pleased. Champagne all round! Cheers!

Suppressed HS2 report reveals serious cost concerns

The crisis in the railways is threatening to engulf HS2, with the government being forced to release a damning report showing the Department for Transport believed the high-speed project was unaffordable given its other spending commitments.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/26/damning-hs2-report-reveals-serious-cost-concerns

Can't stand electrification so this is good news as far as I'm concerned, looking forward to a few more years of some train journeys being a bit more relaxed and not having ****** posts flicking past the windows and the whole thing looking like a tangled mess. The only downside is there's no will to build any new trains unless they're oversized trams so stuck with pathetically undersized, overcramped three carriage commuter things for longer.

That aside the problem is that they really bit off more than they could chew by aiming for several schemes at once or in close succession having not done any for years therefore losing a lot of the required expertise.

The Spanish know how to do infrastructure.....just get on with it like the Victorians did. ;)

Edited by winkie

The Spanish know how to do infrastructure.....just get on with it like the Victorians did. ;)

Looks bloody awful, I can't get my head around how anyone could look at that and not think "kill it and bury it with a stake through the heart."

So they privatised the best parts of the rail with fares but we as taxpayers kept the costly infrastructure?

Sounds familiar.. but where.. ? Ahhh yes. Selling off the cream of Royal Mail and we keep the pensions liabilities.

Brilliant. Just brilliant. The City will be pleased. Champagne all round! Cheers!

Presumably they have decided that laundering the money through the rail network before giving it to the City was just too time consuming and might have actually resulted in some improvements for travellers. Far simpler to just give the money straight to the Rothschilds and their ilk instead

Edited by stormymonday_2011

Looks bloody awful, I can't get my head around how anyone could look at that and not think "kill it and bury it with a stake through the heart."

Not talking aesthetics here only long-term thinking to take the UK into the future....our infrastructure has been allowed to be run-down, deteriorating and in some cases not fit for purpose, beginning to look like a third world country in some places........roads don't look beautiful, neither do most homes, nuclear power stations or railways...sewers certainly don't......we certainly are no good at building any of them.....all we do is waste plenty of money talking about it, three steps forward, four backwards......going backwards. ;)

Too right those things don't look beautiful, or even half decent, can't stand any of them either (sewers get a pass for being out of sight at least). Building a load of functional but unappealing rubbish certainly isn't making life better. Generally I find the functionality we've got now satisfactory enough that there have to be very very few downsides in adding to it. If we've hit a problem where the only choice is for things to fall apart or build some crap then that's just a sign of really screwing up, don't expect me to support it and not say that the world has become a worse place for it.

If we were going backwards but using what we've got now to avoid the bad bits of the past I'd be far happier than I am.