House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John The Pessimist

Vendor Showing The House

I'm doing a first viewing on a house this weekend. It has been listed since last October. They've already dropped the asking price by 15%, and I think with some negotiation, another 5% can come off.

During the week, they have also listed the house with another EA. I've just had an e-mail from the EA that on Saturday it will be Mrs Vendor doing the showing.

Obviously I'm not gong to go in and start slagging off the place (although the d├ęcor is a little 'Versaille'). But how should I play it with Mrs Vendor?

Be nice and polite,depends what position you are in if you cash,another 5% aint enough,it does not matter what the original asking price was it didnt sell did it!,my rule is make a long list moan ya tits off to the EA but also put some positive bits in,but like I say cash is king when buying, and as my Dad would say to me "if your not embarressed by your offer,,,,,,,its too high'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! remember if you get a click with the vendor you may get more out of them,remember everyone thinks theyve got a nice house.

Agree with LGF, this has increasingly desperate seller written all over it. You want more than 5% off - especially if in cash/can proceed quickly. In a similar situation I started with an offer of 20% off their current asking. I got 17% off in the end.

Do find out from the vendor why they want to move. Also other stuff like who are the neighbours etc, what the bills are like, when the boiler was replaced etc. If you get them on a roll, you could end up with a ton of extra info that you'd never get from the Estate Agent - and the chances are they are less experienced at lying.

You could always play a little mind game by walking round the house and being overwhelmed with the fabulous nature of everything you see, including her...

The house is gorgeous; her taste is immaculate, and 'with a figure like yours you should be modelling.."

Then phone in a final offer of 50% below asking....

You could always play a little mind game by walking round the house and being overwhelmed with the fabulous nature of everything you see, including her...

The house is gorgeous; her taste is immaculate, and 'with a figure like yours you should be modelling.."

Then phone in a final offer of 50% below asking....

Thankfully this was posted after the viewing! ?

HPC's 3 amigos (death, debt & divorce) were at play, and the desperation of Mrs Vendor (soon to be Ms Renter) was palpable. House & area are both good prospects for the next 20 years. I just need to figure out how low they will accept! Definitely pitching an offer lower than I originally planned.

Had a second viewing today. Emailed the EA expressing concerns about surface water drainage. EA responded telling me to 'put up or shut up' (not in those words exactly). No further viewings or cooperation without an offer.

Sounds like they're trying to force your hand. I had this a few years ago, a stern warning if they did not answer my questions as requested, or at least attempt to, then I would refuse to deal with them , it did the trick.

Had a second viewing today. Emailed the EA expressing concerns about surface water drainage. EA responded telling me to 'put up or shut up' (not in those words exactly). No further viewings or cooperation without an offer.

Offer a pound when you want the next viewing. The EA clearly didn't specify what the offer should be...

I stuck in an offer of 19% below current asking price this morning. EA was back on within the hour asking if it was a typo, and saying he could probably get the vendors to drop 2-3%.

I explained that the house was priced 15% higher than anything that had sold in the village, ever. I also pointed out that on a per sq meter basis, my offer was generous compared with prices achieved in the area this year.

I've heard nothing since. It's now time to 'embrace the silence'.

I stuck in an offer of 19% below current asking price this morning. EA was back on within the hour asking if it was a typo, and saying he could probably get the vendors to drop 2-3%.

I explained that the house was priced 15% higher than anything that had sold in the village, ever. I also pointed out that on a per sq meter basis, my offer was generous compared with prices achieved in the area this year.

I've heard nothing since. It's now time to 'embrace the silence'.

Typical EA sarcasm, what other business would respond like this. Depending on your circumstances you could point out that it is a genuine, proceedable, offer and you would like to complete by the end of the month. Any further sarcasm, reduce the offer.

The house went 'Under Offer' this week on Rightmove. I'm curious why they have chosen that term as opposed to the much more common SSTC. I suspect that they are trying to 'flush out' any potential buyers like myself that are waiting in the long grass.