House Price Crash Forum

100,000 Tonnes Of Meat, Some Of It 40 Years Old, Seized In China During Smuggling Crackdown

HOLA441

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/100000-tonnes-of-meat-some-of-it-40-years-old-seized-in-china-during-smuggling-crackdown-10343388.html

Chinese officials have seized more than 100,000 tonnes of smuggled meat, some of which is more than 40 years old, in a major nationwide crackdown.

The vast quantities of chicken, beef and pork, worth more than £300 million in total, were seized across the country in an operation aimed at weakening the smuggling industry.

China's General Administration of customs said that 14 different gangs had been busted in the nationwide raids, China Daily reported.

Meat smugglers make their money by purchasing meat at very low prices in foreign countries and illegally shipping it to China where it can be sold at higher prices.

Hmmm tasty!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I was going to post this story and make the point that's why in HK food costs for us are quite high, because we choose to buy all the imported stuff from OZ/NZ etc, as opposed to the cheap market stuff from China.....

HOLA448
HOLA449

Deep frozen meat keeps a long time.

I once bought a (twice-reduced) huge side of beef in Safeway for about £3, froze it and served it at a dinner party some 6 months later to compliments all round.

Did the same with a Boxing Day Xmas turkey served the next June.

Below -18 the shelf life is pretty much indefinite.

HOLA4410

Part of me would rather eat the 40 year old stuff. At least that's stood the test of time - they found tinned bully beef from WW1 to be still edible.

It's probably not pumped full of antibiotics, either.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest TheBlueCat

Sounds yummy like those 100 year old eggs!

Those are bizarrely really quite tasty. They have a sort of caramel flavour to them. When you consider that we happily eat stuff that's come out of a cows tits and then gone green with mould, 100 year eggs don't seem any worse in comparison.

HOLA4414

Those are bizarrely really quite tasty. They have a sort of caramel flavour to them. When you consider that we happily eat stuff that's come out of a cows tits and then gone green with mould, 100 year eggs don't seem any worse in comparison.

Yum, fromage! Actually I don't think 100 year eggs take that long to make. I think they are sort of "pickled in earth" somehow! I do smashing dangerous pickled eggs when I have the time. I put enormously hot chillies in with them.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I had shag and minky whale at a poncy Reykjavik restaurant few years back. Not too bad but not the best. Rest was very nice though.

Never braved that rotten fish nonsense though.

HOLA4417

Archived