House Price Crash Forum

People Value Nothing

longgone

HOLA441

went to the local tip this morning with some garden waste to chuck and noticed a pile of flat screen tv`s waiting to be crushed , 50" panasonic plasma with a non cracked screen . samsungs and few technika tesco jobs also no cracked screens ,bloke working there snapped a pavillion dv6 laptop in half right in front of me and chucked it on the floor had the windows 7 licence still on it at that`s worth £25 on its own !

i bet that lot could be repaired with a few capacitors and reused or sold for parts

worst thing was i asked the guy if i could take some of them and they refused saying they would be liable if i electrocuted myself.

modern society makes me sick !

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

In fairness that 50" plasma could be 10 years old, and you can get a brand new one for 350 quid now. Still worth fixing?

it was around 5 years old , plenty hdmi ports on it

probably a 1024x 768 panel

the capacitors where prone to bulging and leaking on lots of different manufacturers around this time

probably £2 to fix

HOLA444

A frugal friend of mine said that whenever he got a flat tyre on his bike, rather than replace or mend the inner tube, he used to just go to his local tip and pick up an entire new wheel, inner and tyre, for free!

That said, where are all these dumps where good stuff is given away? I saw one on telly that was like a jumble sale, with stuff being sold off on trestle tables for a few pence, but I'm sure my local one just has a big doorway where you leave the stuff and it gets dumped (or more likely the staff sell off all the good stuff on Ebay).

HOLA445

A frugal friend of mine said that whenever he got a flat tyre on his bike, rather than replace or mend the inner tube, he used to just go to his local tip and pick up an entire new wheel, inner and tyre, for free!

That said, where are all these dumps where good stuff is given away? I saw one on telly that was like a jumble sale, with stuff being sold off on trestle tables for a few pence, but I'm sure my local one just has a big doorway where you leave the stuff and it gets dumped (or more likely the staff sell off all the good stuff on Ebay).

i reckon i could make 100k a year at that tip , with out even breaking a sweat :rolleyes: , last time i went there i managed to bag a petrol strimmer that would not fire up , just needed a new spark plug oil change cleanout dust works fine now lol

picked up a dell desktop , would not boot up software issue fixed that in 10 minutes sold it for £60 on ebay

people are just stupid.

HOLA446

i reckon i could make 100k a year at that tip , with out even breaking a sweat :rolleyes: , last time i went there i managed to bag a petrol strimmer that would not fire up , just needed a new spark plug oil change cleanout dust

works fine now lol

And 12 months in jail for your trouble

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Our tip does have an area where you can offer a sum of money to take away others throw aways, not electrical though.......what is more concerning is the environmental aspect, all sorts of electrical, TVs, white goods, washing machines, freezers etc just used for a few years, with a minor fault or sometimes no fault at all just no longer fits, or gone out of fashion.....riveted and soldered so that parts are unable to be replaced....even cars now have been manufactured so that they can not be fixed at home......the future is to produce items and see that they can be repaired, parts replaced and thousands of tons of junk no longer get chucked into landfill it can be recycled and used again and for longer......save on waste and better for the environment. ;)

HOLA4410

Our tip does have an area where you can offer a sum of money to take away others throw aways, not electrical though.......what is more concerning is the environmental aspect, all sorts of electrical, TVs, white goods, washing machines, freezers etc just used for a few years, with a minor fault or sometimes no fault at all just no longer fits, or gone out of fashion.....riveted and soldered so that parts are unable to be replaced....even cars now have been manufactured so that they can not be fixed at home......the future is to produce items and see that they can be repaired, parts replaced and thousands of tons of junk no longer get chucked into landfill it can be recycled and used again and for longer......save on waste and better for the environment. ;)

unfortunately that does not fit the structure of these companies , it is their dream for you to dispose of the goods as quick as possible and replace with a shiny new one .

i bought my dell colour laser on gumtree for £5 why £5 ? the owner went to pc world to buy toner and was told it would be £220 for a full set , so they just dump the printer instead

i bought compatibles for £11 for a full set .

HOLA4411

unfortunately that does not fit the structure of these companies , it is their dream for you to dispose of the goods as quick as possible and replace with a shiny new one .

i bought my dell colour laser on gumtree for £5 why £5 ? the owner went to pc world to buy toner and was told it would be £220 for a full set , so they just dump the printer instead

i bought compatibles for £11 for a full set .

Some people are either lazy, thick or have more money than sense......their money they are free to waste it, but there are many that can and do benefit greatly from others cast offs........freecycle is a great place to put stuff and get stuff.....but the lazy, and thick would not bother or not care.

The best place to pick up some great stuff is if you spot a skip outside a house in a wealthy area.....amazing the brilliant stuff they throw away that only in most cases requires a bit of TLC.....just ask them first, often they will offer you more. ;)

Example.....a large room sized Chinese carpet rolled up with a stain, only needed a good clean, quality leather sofa, nothing wrong with it, old chair required a bit of upholstering, light fittings, a really nice old fireplace complete and an old butler sink...great to plant flowers in.

HOLA4412

it was around 5 years old , plenty hdmi ports on it

probably a 1024x 768 panel

the capacitors where prone to bulging and leaking on lots of different manufacturers around this time

probably £2 to fix

Purely on a cost basis it's probably cheaper to change it though. Modern flat screen TVs are more energy efficient than their predecessors.

HOLA4413

There's very little money in repairing stuff.

I often think that having the ability to repair stuff encourages something being kept in service longer than it should when there are newer more efficient models available.

If for example, you keep an old van on the road when its fuel economy, performance and running cost are broadly similar to a new model then it makes sense but I don't think it should continue if there are newer more economical alternatives with, for example, a higher payload.

Some people just seem to have a pathological inability to chuck stuff away and I'm not sure it's as sensible, economical or virtuous as often suggested on here.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

What this is telling us is there is an excess of stuff......loads of stuff, far to much stuff........50 or 60 years ago people in this country had very little in the way of new things, not available, hard to find or extortionately expensive to purchase.....so they darned socks, they repaired sheets, they made clothes and knitted clothes for children from odd scraps of wool, my goodness you were doing very well if you owned a phone or a washing machine....today stuff is so plentiful people can't give it away.....more expensive to store it than the value of it.......this must be telling us something. ;)

HOLA4416

What this is telling us is there is an excess of stuff......loads of stuff, far to much stuff........50 or 60 years ago people in this country had very little in the way of new things, not available, hard to find or extortionately expensive to purchase.....so they darned socks, they repaired sheets, they made clothes and knitted clothes for children from odd scraps of wool, my goodness you were doing very well if you owned a phone or a washing machine....today stuff is so plentiful people can't give it away.....more expensive to store it than the value of it.......this must be telling us something. ;)

they need to give it to me :lol:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

they need to give it to me :lol:

All you have to do is put a wanted add anywhere.....Wanted your old electrical items any condition, buyer removal service collects to relieve you of it......your phone will not stop ringing, guaranteed. ;)

HOLA4419

Purely on a cost basis it's probably cheaper to change it though. Modern flat screen TVs are more energy efficient than their predecessors.

indeed the energy efficiency of modern TVs (thanks to the use of LEDs) is enormously improved. We recently change the TV on our canal boat purely as the old one was a major drain on the batteries when mooring for a few days.

HOLA4420

Yes, I remember my dad getting a washing machine on HP. We had a "radio rentals" rented TV (They were so unreliable).

We really didn't have much at all. When I was older and wanted a stereo, they were so expensive. Now you can pick up something that works well, brand new, for very little

HOLA4421

I will have to visit one of these places ... people just take things there and leave them?

yep , the desktop pc i managed to get from some old guy tossing it away before it went in the crusher there was a bag of nintendo wii stuff and the console but they would not let me take that either a few months back

what i find strange is they do not take it themselves . they just crush it all :rolleyes:

i need a job in the dump :lol:

HOLA4422

Is it that you can't feed African children obsolete Nintendo consoles?

HOLA4423

yep , the desktop pc i managed to get from some old guy tossing it away before it went in the crusher there was a bag of nintendo wii stuff and the console but they would not let me take that either a few months back what i find strange is they do not take it themselves . they just crush it all :rolleyes: i need a job in the dump :lol:

More than their job's worth (they're not called council jobsworths for nothing).

HOLA4424

This sort of wastefulness really pisses me off. My niece and her live in partner are both vegan. They won't eat anything with a face, or even wear leather shoes. However, they both upgrade their tech regularly, and throw away the old stuff. I blame Apple. She works for them as an Apple Genius. They won't repair anything over 5 years old as it's 'obsolete'...

I remember the days when we took a shopping bag to the shop, bought loose stuff in paper bags and had a half-full bin at bin-day...we wasted far less than 'the younger generation' yet we're told we used it all up, leaving nothing for them.

HOLA4425

indeed the energy efficiency of modern TVs (thanks to the use of LEDs) is enormously improved. We recently change the TV on our canal boat purely as the old one was a major drain on the batteries when mooring for a few days.

....so the energy factor and how much energy it uses is now more important than what it does or how much it costs to replace.....what about the energy and resources it costs to make and dispose of?.....how about building items where the engine can be replaced/updated not the whole body along with it? ;)

Archived