House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Executive Sadman

In Todays Daily Mail Clickbait Bizarro World...

Guest eight

There was a story on the Mail sidebar the other day - "Hugh Bonneville spotted scratching his head".

This is fast becoming a small subset of this generation's Spanish civil war, or Woodstock. A truly peculiar situation. I don't know if it means I'm out of touch, or they are.

I always think it's like the Spanish War. Loads of people went over to fight Fascism, and they lost! Why?

This is fast becoming a small subset of this generation's Spanish civil war, or Woodstock. A truly peculiar situation. I don't know if it means I'm out of touch, or they are.

You mean in 20 years everyone will be claiming to have been there?

You mean in 20 years everyone will be claiming to have been there?

Possibly in certain communities. Or it could go the way of the Hitler Youth. The only way you'd know Grandad was in it was the occasional oddball thing he'd say.

I bet you it won't produce another George Orwell or Hugh Garner though.

Perhaps they should release Anders Brevik, he seemed to know how to deal with politically motivated youth groups.

I always think it's like the Spanish War. Loads of people went over to fight Fascism, and they lost! Why?

Yes, in this case they seem to be going over to create Fascism.

I found this article instructive on the appeal of it:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/24/isis-brides-secret-world-jihad-western-women-syria

It seems to be hitting the usual tick boxes of utopia (yes, really!), sense of belonging, black and white morals, youthful rebellion etc that often appeal to idealistic teenagers. It's a well designed cult, I'll give them that. A UK Govt led crackdown has no chance of succeeding against this. Could well enhance its appeal further. The sense of being "other" and persecution is already strongly ingrained.

I bet you it won't produce another George Orwell or Hugh Garner though.

I wouldn't bet against it - but yes, most of its written legacy is likely to be text speak on internet forums.

I wouldn't bet against it - but yes, most of its written legacy is likely to be text speak on internet forums.

When I re-read what I wrote it occurred to me that what I should have said is that it won't produce a great writer from the side of the aggressors. This sort of stuff has, of course, already produced several great writers from the ranks of the victims (e.g. Khaled Hosseini).

When I re-read what I wrote it occurred to me that what I should have said is that it won't produce a great writer from the side of the aggressors. This sort of stuff has, of course, already produced several great writers from the ranks of the victims (e.g. Khaled Hosseini).

any recommendations for any of his stuff to read? always interested in broadening my reading list

any recommendations for any of his stuff to read? always interested in broadening my reading list

The Kite Runner is an excellent book and his best known so probably start with that but I've enjoyed all of his stuff so far.

We have a rather rose tinted image of the Spanish Civil War, I suspect. We view it through the lens of great storytellers and romantics revelling in the drama of their youth. And we forget the true clash of ideologies in Europe at the time

At the time, Communism was seen as a real threat that could end centuries of European civilisation. There was no bankrupt USSR demonstrating its failure or Citizen Smith to laugh at. People who went to Spain were regarded as every bit as dangerous as the dilletante Mudjahadeen heading for Syria and Iraq today.

And the fighting and held ground was as brutal in Spain as in Syria today. There was no YouTube back then, of course so we can get away with imagining it as adventurous youth blowing off steam. But it wasn't.