House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bossybabe

Irritating Incidental Music On Tv

I'm sick and tired to intrusive, irritating, incidental music in documentaries at the moment. The music is almost invariably vibraphone or xylophone and duotonic, no matter which channel it's on.

I feel I've kept quiet long enough. Am I alone in this, or could I start a petition to ban it?

I quite like a xylophone - especially when it's a feature on human biology. Quite fitting when discussing skeletons! :D

I'm sick and tired to intrusive, irritating, incidental music in documentaries at the moment. The music is almost invariably vibraphone or xylophone and duotonic, no matter which channel it's on.

I feel I've kept quiet long enough. Am I alone in this, or could I start a petition to ban it?

But if you ban irritating music and repetition of everything three times, how else can you stretch 5 minutes of content to fill a 30 minute slot?

"Doctor Who" (the recent series, not the original) was and probably still is the master of intruding, over-heavy incidental music.

Almost as bad as ubiquitous ukulele strumming + whistling to evoke whimsical light-heartedness.

Too much of that about and too little zither or theramin to evoke unease.

Almost as bad as ubiquitous ukulele strumming + whistling to evoke whimsical light-heartedness.

One of the most annoying bits of music I've ever heard.

Guest eight

I think this was used on a "Clash of Clans" ad.

Guest UK Debt Slave

R4 seems to use the same 5 pieces of background music for it's entire output

They seem to have spent their budget on expenses and champagne

Too much of that about and too little zither or theramin to evoke unease.

I think by law you have to use the instrumental sections of DJ Shadows' "Building steam with a grain of salt" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfmLFiHV-Ng&index=2&list=PL4F1105C5C46129AA) for introducing a sense of unease into tv documentaries. It's one of those where once you notice it, it's everywhere...

I think by law you have to use the instrumental sections of DJ Shadows' "Building steam with a grain of salt" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfmLFiHV-Ng&index=2&list=PL4F1105C5C46129AA) for introducing a sense of unease into tv documentaries. It's one of those where once you notice it, it's everywhere...

I still remember Blood on the Motorway being used on the O2 ads years ago. A strange choice of music for a mobile network advert but as far as the marketing execs are concerned it obviously worked. :D

You really know the sh|t's hit the fan when you hear this in a doco:

(cue montage of dead people.)

Epic struggle between Light and Dark? Lux Eterna

Major turning point montage in whimsical biography? Baba O'Riley

I've been out to the shops and bought a new Yamaha soundbar. It has a 'Clear Voice' button that clarifies speech.

Perhaps my moan says more about my heavy-metal-wrecked hearing than about intrusive background music?

Nearly started a thread on this a few months back.

I don't watch much on TV now but did it start with '..Gypsy wedding' on Channel 4 ? it seems to of spread to other channels, most 'real life' type documentaries have this copied formula of irritating music as you describe, bad narration by some deadpan voice (adds to the grittiness?) and bad/amateur camerawork....... where do I sign????????

Nearly started a thread on this a few months back.

I don't watch much on TV now but did it start with '..Gypsy wedding' on Channel 4 ? it seems to of spread to other channels, most 'real life' type documentaries have this copied formula of irritating music as you describe, bad narration by some deadpan voice (adds to the grittiness?) and bad/amateur camerawork....... where do I sign????????

Right here, Andy. I did consider making a poll out of this topic but was too indolent to get off my ass and open up the laptop!