House Price Crash Forum

I've Been On Here A Long Time And You Should Have Bought.

didntbuytolet

HOLA441
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

You'll probably time it perfectly. Downsize around 60... hpcers will be moaning about HTB 6.0 and victims of it, and by then prices likely to have doubled/trebled.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Its honestly a recap, if you look at early posts. I've been skinter than a skint thing with no backup for years. Yes, Kids will be ok when I die, unlike me and my parents.

Just saying, as I've spent many, many hours on this forum. HPC in significant level not going to happen. The forum is about HPC and has been online for 12 years - just pointing out its rather been proven wrong, long term. Don't agree its right, but equally the lottery is a hideous scam and I wouldn't hand the money back if I won on that either.

So your entire argument is that because something hasn't happened yet it can never happen, despite similar events having happened in the past btw. As well as advocating the use of time machines are you also planning to live forever? Because you haven't died yet, so obviously that's never going to happen.

HOLA446

So your entire argument is that because something hasn't happened yet it can never happen, despite similar events having happened in the past btw. As well as advocating the use of time machines are you also planning to live forever? Because you haven't died yet, so obviously that's never going to happen.

With such cutting relevant insights maybe she should have offered such sage advice as telling the Americans to beef up their air defences before pearl harbour. Or telling us all to buy Apple shares in 1996.

HOLA447

With such cutting relevant insights maybe she should have offered such sage advice as telling the Americans to beef up their air defences before pearl harbour. Or telling us all to buy Apple shares in 1996.

That time machine sure would come in handy, wouldn't it? Once someone has invented one the first thing I'm planning on doing is going back in time and investing in time machine start-ups ;)

HOLA448

That time machine sure would come in handy, wouldn't it? Once someone has invented one the first thing I'm planning on doing is going back in time and investing in time machine start-ups ;)

The lottery win by birth date annoys me intensely, especially the implication that it was skill not dob

HOLA449

I am pleased that OPs journey has been a good one so far and wish that it continues to be

Reflecting for a moment and looking back to to the early days of this website.

1. I don't think many people here envisaged that house prices could continue to go up by as much as they did for as long as they did to late 2007.

That isn't an unreasonable assessment by the people here and there can be no skill / judgment attributed to the people that just sat there and enjoyed the ride. But I am reminded of the phrase the trend is your friend. This isn't the first trend that went further than many predicted it should / would / could and it won't be the last.

2. I think many people here underestimated the extent to which successive governments would interfere with the housing market to prop up and then push up prices from 2008.

Again, not expecting such actions by governments is not unreasonable and there can be no skill / judgment attributed to the people that enjoyed that ride either.

Many here are waiting for the bubble (for that is surely what the UK housing market in the main is) to burst.

That might happen. It might even happen soon. But it would be a mistake to think that the government is going to sit back and let it happen without spending a huge chunk of your money and your kids' money to fight it.

A market can remain wrong for longer than an investor can stay solvent.

STR in the early days of this board's life was a brave thing to do if you were STRing your only house. It was probably at least as a big a gamble as not STRing and probably not much smaller a risk than buying your first house or moving on to your next house.

That is easier to say with hindsight of course. But then again, if STRing had been the very best option at the time, that would have been easier to call with hindsight too.

The users of this board are a very small part of the overall population. As such, our view is always at risk. Just as the opposite extreme view: that house prices are going up 20% a year forever is always at risk too.

The mainstream view, that just gets on with it despite it all, is probably safer more times than not

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The lottery win by birth date annoys me intensely, especially the implication that it was skill not dob

Couldn't agree more. It wasn't really hard to see that the 90s was a good time to be in a position to buy, mainly because of a significant HPC, but it's idiotic to think that everyone who would like to own now had the opportunity to take advantage of that and chose not to.

HOLA4412

Couldn't agree more. It wasn't really hard to see that the 90s was a good time to be in a position to buy, mainly because of a significant HPC, but it's idiotic to think that everyone who would like to own now had the opportunity to take advantage of that and chose not to.

And then you have to listen to the sanctimonious pr1cks at work going on and on about their gains

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

And then you have to listen to the sanctimonious pr1cks at work going on and on about their gains

I always comfort myself with the idea that people like that are probably MEWing up to their eyeballs and putting themselves in a very precarious position. May not be true of course, but it helps me smile and nod...

HOLA4415

Food for thought. Not trolling, I've been immensely lucky, but there is no HPC.

Pretty thin gruel on the food for thought front IMO, (and pretty underwhelming luck also, perhaps). Maybe you've just made a really terrible mistake? Maybe if you'd sunk that money into your business, then ten years further down the line you might have been able to sell the business for £7.5m and buy ten homes in the Cotswolds. And if you think a £750k home is much to crow about then pray to God circumstances never require you to move back to the South East. Not food for thought so much as

?

HOLA4416

Look. It's different this time.

HOLA4417

Born 1973

Just the right side of the 1975 divide

I was born in 1976, just the wrong side. I may never get to see the long awaited HPC :( Some people are just born lucky! :P

I was 28 before I had a job that I could have started to think about buying with but of course prices were way out of my league by then. I earn more now but would have to move 50 miles+ to be able to buy. Something that I may do at some point, if I don't leave.

Edited by renting til I die

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I am pleased that OPs journey has been a good one so far and wish that it continues to be

Reflecting for a moment and looking back to to the early days of this website.

1. I don't think many people here envisaged that house prices could continue to go up by as much as they did for as long as they did to late 2007.

That isn't an unreasonable assessment by the people here and there can be no skill / judgment attributed to the people that just sat there and enjoyed the ride. But I am reminded of the phrase the trend is your friend. This isn't the first trend that went further than many predicted it should / would / could and it won't be the last.

2. I think many people here underestimated the extent to which successive governments would interfere with the housing market to prop up and then push up prices from 2008.

Again, not expecting such actions by governments is not unreasonable and there can be no skill / judgment attributed to the people that enjoyed that ride either.

Many here are waiting for the bubble (for that is surely what the UK housing market in the main is) to burst.

That might happen. It might even happen soon. But it would be a mistake to think that the government is going to sit back and let it happen without spending a huge chunk of your money and your kids' money to fight it.

A market can remain wrong for longer than an investor can stay solvent.

STR in the early days of this board's life was a brave thing to do if you were STRing your only house. It was probably at least as a big a gamble as not STRing and probably not much smaller a risk than buying your first house or moving on to your next house.

That is easier to say with hindsight of course. But then again, if STRing had been the very best option at the time, that would have been easier to call with hindsight too.

The users of this board are a very small part of the overall population. As such, our view is always at risk. Just as the opposite extreme view: that house prices are going up 20% a year forever is always at risk too.

The mainstream view, that just gets on with it despite it all, is probably safer more times than not

+1, good post and well balanced view.

HOLA4421

Similar timing for me, starting in 1997 was the key.

Damn... I arrived in the UK in 1998 and started working in 1999. Well, I paid this bad timing ever since to the point that I actually had to leave the country and my job last year because we could not return permanently as a family.

I am glad other people did very well, though. It is good that just a couple of years of difference can affect lives so much and in such a negative way.

HOLA4422

having just brought a house i do feel very lucky. i also got it 5k less than 2005 price with a new kitchen. I also know that i need to overpay it as soon as possible just in case interest rates jump up a lot.

i just dont think anyone knows whats going to happen with hugh debt overhang from goverment and private debt.

HOLA4423

having just brought a house i do feel very lucky. i also got it 5k less than 2005 price with a new kitchen. I also know that i need to overpay it as soon as possible just in case interest rates jump up a lot.

i just dont think anyone knows whats going to happen with hugh debt overhang from goverment and private debt.

Has a truer statement ever been said?

HOLA4424

(business going well fook all else to do with the cash and avoid CGT)

Food for thought. Not trolling, I've been immensely lucky, but there is no HPC.

It's pretty clear that the housing situation is simple, in one line below...

That time machine sure would come in handy, wouldn't it?

@ didntbuytolet: Noticing that you mention "business going well". That's something with a more scope for conversion. Do / did you own your own business? what is / was it? on a place like this that would be constructive. It would also be good because we could then attribute a certain amount of your success to you!

HOLA4425