House Price Crash Forum

Australian Housing Market Facing 'bloodbath' Collapse: Economists

HOLA441
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Have the Aussies resorted to money printing (QE) yet? If not, there's still scope to keep asset prices inflated.

good point. when/if the aussie banks start to collapse (they are massively exposed) I doubt hugely any oz gvt will let them go to the wall....

HOLA443

good point. when/if the aussie banks start to collapse (they are massively exposed) I doubt hugely any oz gvt will let them go to the wall....

Not when Abbott's $1 million equity gain profit is at risk + all the other VI. Protect the equity hyper gain.

HOLA444

While TPTB are those with assets, the asset bubble will not stop. They will try everything they can to stop the crash from happening.

TBH not seeing going to happen in Oz anytime soon. I've given up going back to Oz in the near future. Our horizon has been extended to 10 - 15 years. So that's when I hope the HPI will stop and we have a chance to go back.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Chinese property prices have been FALLING (now slowing in growth, but falling) in the last 12 months :-

http://www.ibtimes.com/record-fall-property-prices-brings-more-bad-news-chinas-slumping-real-estate-market-1850704

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8cf9e2e6-9ef3-11e4-ba25-00144feab7de.html

There's been lots of news about this.

http://www.stats.gov.cn/english/PressRelease/201506/t20150619_1181132.html

http://data.stats.gov.cn/english/swf.htm?m=turnto&id=6 (in the top pie-charts, left one is yoy and right mom).

The data only covers 70 cities (a fraction of the country) with added skew in that they're mostly first and second tier cities. I think the national number is a weighted average of those but don't know how it's constructed.

HOLA447
Australian territory bigger than Scotland on sale for £175m

Australia is selling the largest private non-state and non-monarchical stretch of land in the world – a 39,000 square mile series of cattle stations worth an estimated £175 million. The sale has attracted interest from more than 30 bidders across the world, including farming families, investment syndicates, meat companies, foreign investors and global pension funds from China, the United States, Britain, Switzerland and Canada. But the sale has proven controversial in Australia and led to calls by some MPs to ensure the property is not sold to a foreign state-owned investor.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Chinese property prices have been FALLING (now slowing in growth, but falling) in the last 12 months :-

http://www.ibtimes.com/record-fall-property-prices-brings-more-bad-news-chinas-slumping-real-estate-market-1850704

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8cf9e2e6-9ef3-11e4-ba25-00144feab7de.html

There's been lots of news about this.

Oh dear, you'll never make an EA! I don't think "falling" is an actual word in this context - I believe you mean "temporary pause in growth" or "slight softening" ;)

HOLA4410

The only thing you all forget is that there is inflation in Australasia so while I agree that it is overpriced, over the term of a mortgage you are extremely unlikely to lose out.

Also the current collapse in currency values will support prices as it did in the UK 6 years ago. Let's see what happens here as Sterling recovers.

HOLA4411

The only thing you all forget is that there is inflation in Australasia so while I agree that it is overpriced, over the term of a mortgage you are extremely unlikely to lose out.

Also the current collapse in currency values will support prices as it did in the UK 6 years ago. Let's see what happens here as Sterling recovers.

I do hope not....

HOLA4412

Wage inflation is the the only kind of inflation that boosts house prices. (together with people taking on ever higher multiples of debt even without wage inflation - foreign wealth buyers).

Inflation in everything else (food, energy, medical) just takes away from the money people have to spend on housing.

HOLA4413

Wage inflation is the the only kind of inflation that boosts house prices. (together with people taking on ever higher multiples of debt even without wage inflation - foreign wealth buyers).

Inflation in everything else (food, energy, medical) just takes away from the money people have to spend on housing.

Quite - Roy Hill development in WA (Gina Rineharts Iron Ore project) have just announced 5-10% pay cuts for all middle and upper ranking staff.

HOLA4414

In the West today (WA local rag) there was an article about Australia's population growth stalling with record numbers departing. I assume thats mostly 457 workers. Without this unemployment rates would be a lot higher.

Also depopulation in WA and Queensland and people migrate towards NSW and Vic. Also Kiwi's heading back home as economy strong there.

Edited by Kurt Barlow

HOLA4415

In the West today (WA local rag) there was an article about Australia's population growth stalling with record numbers departing. I assume thats mostly 457 workers. Without this unemployment rates would be a lot higher.

Also depopulation in WA and Queensland and people migrate towards NSW and Vic. Also Kiwi's heading back home as economy strong there.

Has the Oz economy got that bad already?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Kurt have you got a sense of what is going in the Perth market now? I saw some headline YoY figures (11% down) any idea if this is continuing/hastening? Currently mulling over WA as a possibility should we return to Aus..

On the rental side Agents cannot do enough to help you as a potential tenant. Not sure about sales but the unit we are currently in was on the market - now back up for rent for an optimistic $10 a week less than we are currently paying until the end of the month.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Has the Oz economy got that bad already?

Many of the Persian community here (invariably Engineers) have seen the slow down and are looking at opportunities in Kazakstan, Oman and the UAE amongst other places. A friend who is a Mech Eng has applied for over 200 jobs with no success :(

HOLA4420

Many of the Persian community here (invariably Engineers) have seen the slow down and are looking at opportunities in Kazakstan, Oman and the UAE amongst other places. A friend who is a Mech Eng has applied for over 200 jobs with no success :(

One of the reasons house prices crashed in Spain was due to depopulation and you seem to be alluding that this is happening.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

The Chinese seem to have become bored with building ghost towns in China and want to take it global now.

Yup - I've been telling you bloody lot on here for a couple of years now just how much buying property in a western nation (UK/OZ/CAN/USA) is done by everyblodybody with 2 cents in Asia. Got told I was making it up, exaggerating, etc etc.

IT

HAS

NOT

STOPPED

You want a HPC - stop foreign purchasing of residential properties.

HOLA4424

The Chinese seem to have become bored with building ghost towns in China and want to take it global now.

Unsurprisingly the Unit we rent and depart in 7 days time was up for sale. The only viewer was a Chinese lady who asked if we would like to stay impressed by the fact we had not wrecked the place!

HOLA4425

What's booming in Australia these days? Mining's been in a downturn for over a year now, but house prices continue to rise. It must just be investment buys.

I'm getting the impression here in Perth not much is shifting in that market either.

People are leaving the state on mass

Others are downsizing

Some are consolidating - can think of at least two sets of friends who have gone from renting 1 bed units to renting a 3 bed with a friend and cutting rental costs by 30-40%