House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Royal Mails Survival Plan Deliver More Junk Mail?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3133755/Millions-facing-junk-mail-deluge-Secret-Royal-Mail-plan-deliver-marketing-letters-shoppers-simply-click-product-online.html

• Homeowners to be sent 'targeted' junk mail based on web shopping habits
  • Simply clicking on products and adding them to 'basket' will trigger post
  • Plans are being trialled by Royal Mail to boost revenues amid falling sales
  • Difficult to opt out of scheme as it falls outside of generic junk mail system

Homeowners will be sent ‘targeted’ junk mail based on their internet shopping habits under plans being trialled by Royal Mail.

The firm will deliver personalised marketing letters encouraging customers to buy goods from retailers they have looked at online.

Simply clicking on a product and adding it to an online shopping basket would be enough to trigger adverts in the post.

A secret pilot has started between Royal Mail and a well-known UK retailer, and the system could be rolled out within months.

The news sparked fears that households will be ‘deluged’ with more junk post.

Royal Mail has ramped up its marketing mail business to boost revenues amid falling letter sales and competition for parcels.

Straight into the recycling bin, what a waste of resources this is. So is this Royal Mails survival plan deliver junk mail?

Yeah, because people really buy stuff from opening up junk mail in 2015. Why would any advertiser sign up to this? All it does is associate your business with annoyance. Also, don't websites have to explicitly state the 3rd parties they share data with? If that is the case, I can see boycotts of websites happening. "Don't buy here unless you want endless junk mail". Finally, from an advertiser's point of view, someone adding something to a basket does NOT make them a targeted lead. Someone who BUYS something? Possibly.

It's not Royal Mail that's sending this stuff to you, they're just delivering it on behalf of the customer, who obviously believe it to be an effective and cost efficient method of advertising their products, which it is.

I get so sick of people moaning about junk mail (it's usually bored, early retiree boomers)... the only reason people curently get lots of junk mail is because they have previously ordered the overpriced tat that is for sale in these catologues anyway.

Junk mail keeps thousands of postal workers in jobs and contributing to the economy, would you rather see all these people on the dole just so you don't have to endure the terrible hardship of finding an envelope on your doormat, picking it up and chucking it in the bin?.. Obviously if you are a boomer then the answer would be a definite YES to this question.

It's not Royal Mail that's sending this stuff to you, they're just delivering it on behalf of the customer, who obviously believe it to be an effective and cost efficient method of advertising their products, which it is.

I get so sick of people moaning about junk mail (it's usually bored, early retiree boomers)... the only reason people curently get lots of junk mail is because they have previously ordered the overpriced tat that is for sale in these catologues anyway.

Junk mail keeps thousands of postal workers in jobs and contributing to the economy, would you rather see all these people on the dole just so you don't have to endure the terrible hardship of finding an envelope on your doormat, picking it up and chucking it in the bin?.. Obviously if you are a boomer then the answer would be a definite YES to this question.

What about those of us retired boomers who are away for months and return to a mountain of junk mail that is visible from outside and presents a security risk?

Junk mail is, however, less annoying than....... Junk phone calls, junk SMS, Junk emails.

What about those of us retired boomers who are away for months and return to a mountain of junk mail that is visible from outside and presents a security risk?

Junk mail is, however, less annoying than....... Junk phone calls, junk SMS, Junk emails.

Then arrange for a Royal Mail Keepsafe, then all you junk mail and the more important stuff will be held for you to collect.

Junk mail keeps thousands of postal workers in jobs and contributing to the economy

Is this supposed to be an argument in favour of junk mail?

return it to the post box.

+1

and that also gives a boost to the economy through more employment. You don't even have to read it. For economists it's similar to the broken window theory.

Edited by billybong

I'll have to look into that.

I wondered why Amazon have introduced a new system whereby you can only find out the delivery cost of many items by adding it to a "basket".

you often have to enable java temporarily (to watch youtube etc) , by clicking red circle icon in left top of browser .

It's also worth joining beta of secure email

https://protonmail.ch

Yeah, because people really buy stuff from opening up junk mail in 2015. Why would any advertiser sign up to this? All it does is associate your business with annoyance. Also, don't websites have to explicitly state the 3rd parties they share data with? If that is the case, I can see boycotts of websites happening. "Don't buy here unless you want endless junk mail". Finally, from an advertiser's point of view, someone adding something to a basket does NOT make them a targeted lead. Someone who BUYS something? Possibly.

Who would have thought people would buy shitty houses at high prices in the 90s?

I should have gone into marketing. Our problem at HPC is assuming the rest of the populace is as discerning as us.

A slick marketing campaign and the 90% of the population who are idiots will happily part with their money.

Any un-addressed junk mail stick back in the post box. Any addressed junk mail cross out the name and address and write "Addressee Not Recognised - Return To Sender" and stick that back in the post box too.

I get so sick of apologists for the menace of junk mail trivialising it as an annoyance which is easily dealt with. For some vulnerable people it's a true nightmare.

+1

and that also gives a boost to the economy through more employment. You don't even have to read it. For economists it's similar to the broken window theory.

LOL! The broken window theory is the one that shows how it does NOT boost the economy!

LOL! The broken window theory is the one that shows how it does NOT boost the economy!

:) That's the point I was making plus a little jibe at economists - in response to crash2006 (hence the +1 in my post)

- but to be clear the broken window theory claims that the broken window benefits the economy but it's the broken window fallacy that disproves/discredits that theory.

Edited by billybong

:) That's the point I was making plus a little jibe at economists - in response to crash2006 (hence the +1 in my post)

- but to be clear the broken window theory claims that the broken window benefits the economy but it's the broken window fallacy that disproves/discredits that theory.

:) Sorry I misread you, and thanks for the clarification!

So,

to make employment, We chop down trees,

Process them into paper,

print on that paper with various inks,

post it to people that don't want it,

They put it into the recycling bag,

Which we reprocess.

We cart all this about the country by lorry or train burning up diesel oil.

And, if we complain, we are BOOMERS?

Agreed. Printing information on paper and then paying someone to hand deliver it through your letterbox doesn't make sense when you have electronic communication.

Agreed. Printing information on paper and then paying someone to hand deliver it through your letterbox doesn't make sense when you have electronic communication.

So No to junk mail, Yes to spam? I'd prefer neither thank you very much.

Sorry, forget. Any job doing anything is Good For The Economy, as upthread so clearly demonstrates.

Any un-addressed junk mail stick back in the post box. Any addressed junk mail cross out the name and address and write "Addressee Not Recognised - Return To Sender" and stick that back in the post box too.

The problem there is that often the companies will just refuse to accept the returned mail, so you are just adding costs onto the royal mail

A better approach is to open them, fish out the reply paid envelope and return everything using that, that way its guaranteed to cost them money.

I'll have to look into that.

I wondered why Amazon have introduced a new system whereby you can only find out the delivery cost of many items by adding it to a "basket".

In their early days Amazon were caught out charging different (higher) prices to people who were logged in.

Makes sense to sell a few things at a loss to someone they think is a new customer, unfortunately that kind of 'per customer' pricing is not legal in the UK so they had to back away from the idea.