House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBlueCat

Bbc Audience Hard Left Bias

I finally got around to watching the Question Time episode with the Labour leadership candidates on it. It was really noticeable how Corbyn got by far the most positive audience reaction. Most sane people have realised a long time back that QT audiences are skewed to the left vs. the general population (which is why the pre-election episode with the party leaders where the audience was, for the first time in my memory, well balanced was such a shock) but I don't think many people (me included) realised how big the skew was.

So, how do the trots do it? How does a minority within a minority manage to pack out the QT audience week in week out? I don't think this one can be put down to BBC bias (they may be run entirely by the metropolitan liberal elite but I'm fairly certain they aren't run by crypto-communists) so what's their secret?

I finally got around to watching the Question Time episode with the Labour leadership candidates on it. It was really noticeable how Corbyn got by far the most positive audience reaction. Most sane people have realised a long time back that QT audiences are skewed to the left vs. the general population (which is why the pre-election episode with the party leaders where the audience was, for the first time in my memory, well balanced was such a shock) but I don't think many people (me included) realised how big the skew was.

So, how do the trots do it? How does a minority within a minority manage to pack out the QT audience week in week out? I don't think this one can be put down to BBC bias (they may be run entirely by the metropolitan liberal elite but I'm fairly certain they aren't run by crypto-communists) so what's their secret?

Other people have better things to do with their time

I watched it up until the immigration bit where I was forced to switch off as its clear none of them think anything is wrong with the current net 300,000 status quo. Labour - the party which no longer represents anyone, not least the white working class who were its foundation.

The problem you are finding is that reality has a left-wing bias.

Bolleaux!

The election suggested otherwise.

My guess is it's related to the point above... Most people just want to get on with their lives and have a good time doing so. The left have to actively press their position or nobody would ever do what they wanted.

The election suggested otherwise.

My guess is it's related to the point above... Most people just want to get on with their lives and have a good time doing so. The left have to actively press their position or nobody would ever do what they wanted.

I've got the impression that the the only thing that the left do is politics. The don't actually produce anything so the do politics in order to take things.

education,my dear chap.

give me a child till the age of 7, and I will give you the man.

that is why all primary school teachers are marxists, and all university tutors teaching the future teachers, are also marxists.

of course the students union would like everybody to believe they are all rebellious independent thinkers, out to changesociety in wolfie-smith like fashion.

truth is, they are not.

they have been programmed,and their first with honours in rattling off endless steams of technobabble nonsense in a so called distteration are nothing more than rubber-stamping that the brainwashing has taken successfully.

how does society in general normally deal with independent thinkers(like galileo???)

they are normally ridiculed and demonised....and usually executed as subversive if they get too near the knuckle for the establishment.

That's b0llocks but, even if it did, that doesn't answer my question. The fact, as demonstrated every election in recent memory (yes, including the ones Labour won) is that the population votes in the centre with something of a skew to the right. My question is how a very small far left minority manages to get its even smaller number of active supporters so disproportionately into the QT audience.

education,my dear chap.

that is why all primary school teachers are marxists, and all university tutors teaching the future teachers, are also marxists.

Fulfilling a mission they don't even know they have.

education,my dear chap.

Maybe it's a chick?

education,my dear chap.

That may or may not be true - some of my primary school teachers were certainly not Marxists - but it still doesn't answer the basic question. What's the mechanism these guys are using? Is there some kind of secret network of Trots who's only aim in life is to pack TV studio audiences or what?!

Whenever you're in the position of having to ask 'how is this nearly impossible thing happening?', the first thing you should be asking is if, in fact, it actually is.

This is particularly a problem with political viewpoints, where people on the whole are very good at extending a line of argument from "the people I recently chatted about it with said" to "everyone I know thinks" to "everyone knows". This is also gets amplified by the way people tend to hang out with people with similar viewpoints (thus serving to re-inforce the 'everyone knows', in an echo chamber). In addition, your only benchmark is the noise of applause; if you select 50 people from the audience of the New York opera, and 25 from a baseball stadium in Houston, then propose to them "Dubya was an idiot", the noise of cheers vs boos is not likely to represent the overall balance of opinion.

You may find the article on how panellists and audience are selected interesting, or the application form with questions people are asked to construct the audience.

Fulfilling a mission they don't even know they have.

which makes it all the more dangerous...because if they knew their thoughts were not their own they would feel a bit hard done by

Whenever you're in the position of having to ask 'how is this nearly impossible thing happening?', the first thing you should be asking is if, in fact, it actually is.

This is particularly a problem with political viewpoints, where people on the whole are very good at extending a line of argument from "the people I recently chatted about it with said" to "everyone I know thinks" to "everyone knows". This is also gets amplified by the way people tend to hang out with people with similar viewpoints (thus serving to re-inforce the 'everyone knows', in an echo chamber). In addition, your only benchmark is the noise of applause; if you select 50 people from the audience of the New York opera, and 25 from a baseball stadium in Houston, then propose to them "Dubya was an idiot", the noise of cheers vs boos is not likely to represent the overall balance of opinion.

You may find the article on how panellists and audience are selected interesting, or the application form with questions people are asked to construct the audience.

welease woger...he'th a wobber and a wapitht.

same playground bully tactics..

one loudmouth, one or two heavies to back it up, and the rest behind the bully all speaking in unison "yeaaah", toward the intended victim.

easy solution...smack the loudmouth.he's the ring leader.

floor the fecker and then see how many hangers on he's got that are prepared to pile in...90% of them will not.

the other 10% will be so surprised you've actually got a pair,they will be expecting the loud mouth ringleder to stand his ground on his own.

if he does not, he will lose all credibility within the group and go from hero to zero in double quick time.

it's a fight he cannot afford to lose,and you dropping him has just cost him tonnes of street cred.

Thirty-six years of privatisation, deregulation and globalisation have left the UK without a pot to piss in. This had nothing whatsoever to do with 'Marxism' or the BBC.

Thirty-six years of privatisation, deregulation and globalisation have left the UK without a pot to piss in. This had nothing whatsoever to do with 'Marxism' or the BBC.

Maybe this isn't "good"?

So people are naturally hard left in their outlook but, once inside the polling booth, some secret right-wing brain manipulation device concealed in the wall somehow makes them vote for someone other than the communist candidate?

In this particular labour leadership debate, surely the people with the most powerful interest in a strong left wing bias in the audience, are the conservatives?

So people are naturally hard left in their outlook but, once inside the polling booth, some secret right-wing brain manipulation device concealed in the wall somehow makes them vote for someone other than the communist candidate?

Something like that perhaps. It is popular to speak altruistically, but act selfishly. For example, many people will say they support the NHS/welfare/environmental issues etc, but vote for cash in their pocket. Plus bear in mind, we have no idea what the many millions who didn't actually vote think.

Both the left and right of British politics are morally and intellectually bankrupt.

Neither really has any solutions apart from the same old snake oil they have been peddling for decades

The Labour Party leadership election is a Potmekin charade of the usual establishment figures pretending to have something new to offer when in reality they have nothing. Even Corbyn only made the contest because they wanted to pretend there was actually some choice on offer. From what I understand they rounded up enough MPs to nominate him even though most of them wont vote for him in the actual election. As for his hard left status he is no Jimmy Reid (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Reid) or Ernie Bevin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Bevin) let alone Leon Trotsky. I mean for FFS Corbyns first name is Jeremy and his barmy weather forecasting brother is is called PIers. His background does not sound very proletarian to me.The fact is that there are precious few working class politicians now whether they be men, women or from ethnic minorities and they are just as likely to crop up on the Tory as the Labour benches. In 2010 only 25 Labour MPs had done any manual work and a mere 9% had done either physical or clerical labour. Even some Labour party members realise this is getting to be a joke

http://labourlist.org/2014/09/without-more-working-class-mps-can-we-really-call-it-the-labour-party/

There are probably more Marxists in the SNP than the Labour Party

As for Question Time I used to watch it before I decided that I had better things to do with my life such as sawing off my limbs without anaesthetic